Masters Running

Sunday Jan 20th BooMasters Runs (Read 523 times)

More miles than degrees Big grin 6F 8.4 miles 9:21 pace 31.3 miles for the week. I'm getting pretty consistent the last several weeks. I hope to see the results this Spring with improved 5k times as they have slipping the few years. I don't know why because I'm not getting any older Wink Great photos guys! The trail bridge looks like a couple places I'm familiar with must be a popular design. . -22F WOW! Shocked I don't think I'd try that...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

bap

I run facing the oncoming traffic unless there's a tight bend, at which point I'll cross to the side where they can see me coming.

Certified Running Coach
      Crocked since 2013

Good afternoon, all! New experience for me posting on a weekend afternoon. Good runs already today. Mariposai - safe traveling - have fun! 6 recovery miles on the treadmill this AM. I gave myself a week off after the marathon weekend, and I feel great and ready to get back to running. Unfortunately, our temps are plummeting as well, so it's going to be a week of treadmilling. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Me

Good afternoon Everyone, Mari-Safe travels. I also got up this morning and as I started to get dressed, thought "what am I doing?". So, I waited until it had warmed up a little this afternoon. . . to 13 degrees. The wind chill was still around -5. 6 miles for me in 59:52. Cheers everyone, Mike

Manchild

Mari- Safe travelling and have a blast! Lou- You crack me up with the "only 12 mile" statement! jj, a truly remarkable photo... Rest day for me. I cut, hauled, and stacked nearly 4 cords of wood between yesterday and this morning. Does that count as cross training? GO PATS! Chris
              Wow.....Mariposey is off to Paraguay huh? I trust she has a same and wonderful trip. I don't like that feeling Perchcreek, where the footing changes along the way. It is sometimes too difficult to know what the next step is going to bring. While JJJesse's picture looks nice, the traction factor scares me again. I MUST be getting old. Years ago I would never even be thinking like that. Nice pictures by the way. I see you are ahead of the pacebunny Hopeful4ever. I did an easy 3 miles in this 24 degree weather that was really not bad because of the sun. However, time was of the essence since I wanted to be back and some chores done before the Pat's game this afternoon. There are some great miles going on in this cold weather. You people are amazing.
              Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Rest day for me. I cut, hauled, and stacked nearly 4 cords of wood between yesterday and this morning.
                Of course. I think they even have a workout video of that... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Some great runs out there. Mariposa have a great trip. Good workouts Jesse Very very cold here this morning. -28 with the windchill but it was Hammertime so I went. 2 hour run, felt amazing. Did an hour and 15 ez with the group, then surged for 30 minutes at sub 4 per k, no one followed then finished of the last 15 ez. Then 2 hours on the bike with the group mimicking Lake Placid's White Face climb. Even though very taxing I felt full of energy. Came home wolfed down two homemade burgers with all the fixings, blueberries and blackberries and tons of coffee and water. Felling tired now but off soon for a nice dinner with my lady friend and her two children (they are just getting back from an out of town hockey tournament. I am bringing my mom's famous tourtiere...yummmmy Hopefully I don't fall asleep at the dinner table. Go Patriots!!!! Take care and enjoy the day Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wow -those pics make me feel i can't complain about our temps - i went out in 25 degrees with winds of 10-20mph so not sure what that makes it with wind chill but it was cold the first 1-2 miles then i was fine.......did 10.76 miles at just under 10min mile avg pace now off to watch the game GO PATS!!! Mari - safe trip and post when you can!!

denise

Tramps

Tramps - would it be possible for you to run on the left hand side of the road? Then at least you'll see them coming.
                      I always do. However, I live on a dirt road and people tend to drive down the middle, more or less.

Be safe. Be kind.

spacityrunner

Managed to put in a 5 miler today. Kept it at an avg. 13 m/m which is what I was aiming for. It was breezy here today....23F with 28 mph winds = 6F feel like. When I got back it had shot up to 25 with 16 mph winds for a balmy feels like 11F. I overdressed, way overdressed. Just not used to running in this cold stuff. It doesn't usually stay frigid like this for too long...so I hope I won't have to get used to it this winter. Big grin Ankle ached. Not sure what that it about, but I am paying attention. I have a follow up with the sports doc on Wed. and will be sure to bend his ear about it. I put my ankle brace sleeve like thingy (one of those over the counter things) on when I got back and it seems to like that. Hopefully this too shall pass. This should of been an "easy" run for me. HR and all supported that, but I felt just dang tired afterwards. Nice pics....nice runs.... Tall: -28...you are one tough hombre

Trails Rock!

Amazing temps ya'll are running in. I remember them from growing up in the upper midwest. Don't miss it! We were supposed to get a cold front through here last night that was going to be so bad that polar bears would be roaming the streets and ice bergs would be floating in the sound. Nature's Fury Unleashed! Shocked Frostbite and hypothermia would strike anyone who ventured more than 18 inches from their front door! Oh the HORROR! Not so much. Raining. 37F. Light winds. The usual. In the PNW, the weather forecast in October should read: rainy, mid 30's to low 40's daytime, low to mid 30's at night. The forecast in November, December, January, and February should all read: "See October". Sometimes we get big wind storms, but it's generally pretty predictable and extremely mild compared to the rest of the country. Summer is about the same but add 20F. I went for a nice 3.27 mile run in a light drizzle, or a really heavy fog, it was hard to tell which it was. It was great! I'm cold to start but sweating nicely by the end. More folks are out walking than you would expect, but we're really used to wet weather. A great day!
                          Have you got a flag?
                            I woke up at 5:45 AM to go out for a MLR. Got all dressed and ready, walked outside and it was raining ... that hard constant rain that says (to me anyway) "No way". So back to bed for me. After church, the weather was nice (66 and 66% and breezy) so I went out for a very rare non-early-morning run. 10.25 miles at what turned out to be MP (8:38 min/mile pace). Every mile was sub-9 - that's never happened on a training run. And I thought I was low on energy ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Not so much. Raining. 37F. Light winds. The usual. In the PNW, the weather forecast in October should read: rainy, mid 30's to low 40's daytime, low to mid 30's at night. The forecast in November, December, January, and February should all read: "See October". I went for a nice 3.27 mile run in a light drizzle, or a really heavy fog, it was hard to tell which it was.
                              Right on. When I first moved here, I used to send cut-outs of the 5-day weather forcasts home to family. I found one that was high45, low 34, picture of cloud spewing out rain, repeated exactly, with exactly the same temps for 5 days in a row. I had that same experience on my run today, gee, is it raining, or am I just in a cloud of fog? Pretty good 14 miler today. overall pace 10:42. I ran 6 miles to the gym, hydrated/dehydrated and rode the stationery bike for 20 min. Ran 6 miles home. More hydration/gu etc, went out for another 2 miles. My biggest mistake today was thinking that most of the sidewalk along the route was made out of asphalt. It wasn't. First 12 miles had at least 11 miles of concrete running in them. Ouch. I think my spine is compressed now. My other complaint with these long runs is that my shoulders/neck get stiff. Any good ideas on how to avoid this?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mari - have a great trip! I don't do more miles than degrees often, but today was 17 miles at 16F with lots 'o wind. I went out and bought warmer gloves and a UA hoodie thing yesterday and stayed warm enough. Today is my third day off of work since December 10th. (The other 2 were Christmas and New Years Day). I think I've successfully killed the Sunday status meeting, so life is getting easier. We told our boss that he could keep having the meeting if he wanted to, and he'd probably enjoy it more, because none of us would be there to argue with him. Big grin I think he got the message.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason