Masters Running

Sunday Jan 20th BooMasters Runs (Read 523 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My other complaint with these long runs is that my shoulders/neck get stiff. Any good ideas on how to avoid this?
    Enkalina - if it's kind of like your shoulders probably felt the morning after your first Pink Door, sore shoulders might mean swinging arms wildly in front of torso while engaged in another primary physical activity (dancing, trapezing, running, etc.). Maybe check out some of your Pink Door photos, . . . I mean, . . .race photos and check out relaxing (and efficient) arm motion in ChiRunning

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thankyou Tet. I have never admitted this to anyone, but I am a big ChiRunning fan. Two years and zero injuries so far. I shaved 5 minutes off my 13.1 mile time in one week just from reading his book and focusing on keeping my spine straight. I was thinking maybe I need to do some upper body strengthening, but really I probably just need to relax. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

Good runs to all this morning! Temp was 26 with 30-35 mph wind.
        Your not kidding evryday, it was sumthin windy out there today. 10.1 miles @ 9:30/mile pace Paul
          Back at home now and two runs to post. I was reunited with my luggage at midnight on Friday. I almost hugged the hotel staff person who brought the bag to my door. What a goober I am. I celebrated the next morning by going on a sort of speedy 4 miler by running loops/laps around Centennial Olympic Park. 4 miles, 30 minutes and flakes flying in Atlanta, uh oh. I was lucky and went to my client meetings and then made it home on a late afternoon flight. We didn't break Perchcreek's tarmac record, but sat for 3 hours and then lucked into a tailwind that allowed for 600-617 miles per hour. One more luggage note and then I'll be quiet on this day when I am reminded of far more important things....I did go and thank the desk clerk in Delta's lost luggage area since she was so nice to me and could see I was fighting back tears (hardly dignified for this "tough" 43 yr. old marathoner). She smiled and said she was rarely thanked in her job. Circle complete. Today's run was an 18 miler at noon with 2 of my usual 5-pack running peeps. It was 23F and 1F wind chill. We cried for the first miles (death of a toddler in the neighborhood) and laughed as we remembered 70s songs, wearing empty Wonder Bread bags in our go-go boots in the winter (not a cool look even for elementary school) and how badly we each wanted to curl our hair like Farrah Fawcett even though we lived in different cities then. The running was good---overall pace of 9 minutes and change with 5 miles at a 7:55ish pace. I am tired and will read all the race reports tomorrow. Good runs out there folks. Stay warm, hold on to family tight and see ya tomorrow CNY P.S. Tallrunner...just noticed your mention of Whiteface. It's a phenomenal climb for real. My husband and I are "peak baggers" and are working on hitting all of the 46 high peaks again and this time with our son (before he hits 18 yrs. old). We started taking him along when he was 7 and we'll do Whiteface this summer when we are in Placid in July. The kiddo has 36 to go...
          wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like I had nicer weather than most of you today - blue sky, sunshine, 33 degrees, and only a little breezy (10 mph, a few gusts to 25 mph, but a nice break from our usual howling winter winds). I ran about 7 miles with my two four-legged running partners, Tazzie and Ladybug. The dirt roads are snow covered, so I wore yaktrax, and the footing was OK except since it was above freezing, some areas were slushy. Beautiful day to be out. I felt kind of tired since I ran 5.5 miles yesterday and skiied hard on Friday, but I took it slow and walked some of the hills. (Everything's hilly around here, as I live in the mountains. I mean I walked some of the UP hills.) Big grin Mari, have fun in Paraguay! Good runs to all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

WRFB, Tall, CNY, Mary, Enkeph. nice runs. anybody who braved todays weather deserves at least a few attaboys (or attagyrls) I ran/walked (2 mile run/ 1 mile walk) until I ended up at the spa with 16.5 around 13:25 overall pace excluding stretches and wardrobe adjustments. Tramps, those bridges do look alot alike. That one is 7 miles from the other end of the trail from the marathon we ran. JJJ
              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                I did go and thank the desk clerk in Delta's lost luggage area since she was so nice to me and could see I was fighting back tears (hardly dignified for this "tough" 43 yr. old marathoner). She smiled and said she was rarely thanked in her job. Circle complete.
                CNY - thanks for the reminder to spread good karma. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for the good Pat's wishes. They worked!! Big grin Hope the frostbite from playing in Green Bay isn't too bad for whomever wins. I'm very happy to have been sitting in my living room for both of those games. 3 miles this morning at 23 F and 1.5 with Max this evening in 18F. Wouldn't have been too bad except for the wind tonight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thankyou Tet. I have never admitted this to anyone, but I am a big ChiRunning fan.
                    me too (as is my tri-gal nemesis from last year's Mercer Island Half). Incidentally, step two of your program, is you choose to continue, is admitting you attended last year's pre-Seattle Marathon Pink Door festivities . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)