Masters Running

I'm so happy its Friday! 12.11.15 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice, fast lake run, Stumpy! Was it the wearin' o' the shorts that gave you your speed?

Strange weather, indeed, Tomwhite! Good luck to Pickles at the eye doc.

Those 'feel good' runs are a treat, Slo. Enjoy all you get.

Cranking out the 10s, Stever? Good running.

Thanks for the heads-up about Dewey Decimal System Day, Aamos - I had no idea. Nice 7+ for you, and good job of catching the nurse in her car; we know you are a fast runner, but I guess this nails it!

I'm so sorry about Shorty's friend's death, Leslie. Good for both of you for going to the funeral, regardless of who else is there. Some people will be glad to see you, and you both will be better for having gone. Good 5er between storm surges yesterday. That article on Humbolt County is only going to get you all a lot more tourists (maybe Moebo)!

Good for you, Mariposai, for getting your runs in, even with all you have going on in your life.

You are right, Moebo - it is a lot easier to determine the answer to a problem when it is someone else's problem than when it is our own. Nice run in nice weather, Moebo.

I sure don't envy you your weather, Tet! I'm glad that tree was only a 'leaner.'

5+ RW miles in dark, dense fog this morning. I wore my headlamp more to be seen than to see because it didn't do a whole lot to light up the road in front of me. Thank goodness there is minimal traffic that time of the day.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I can vouch for the fog as it's all the way up to Maine. Waiting for an LNG truck to arrive so I can test the drive that is used to unload it. No running however.

Happy friday all

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

It's me It's me It's Ernest T!

Hey All,

Skipped the run, stayed in bed...for an extra 15mins. I couldn't take the dog whining anymore...Amazing how stuck to a routine pets can get.

Hopefully this is a coast thru work day, knock off on-time (rarely happens) and get my 4 day weekend started. Heading up north to one of my favorite little towns - Green Bay - You haven't had fried Cheese Curds until you've eaten them in Wisconsin.

Have a Greta One!

SteveP

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Leslie.  I'm so happy that Shorty's life  story had a turnaround moment for years ago.

Mariposai, running before work is ill advised for me.  I can still brain  after a run.   I have difficulty in brawning later.

Today was supposed to be a rest day.   I accidentally got two and a  half miles out on trails.

SteveP

mrrun

No fog down south in Brooklyn - i was comfortable in short sleeves - hard to believe

Happy weekend all and good luck to racers

marj

SteveP - 

Moebo - I agree with your comment re problems, and yes!  Come on out to the beautiful North Coast and see what life is like Behind the Redwood Curtain.

Slo - My pets are wedded to their ruts/routines.

Tet - Dang!  SO happy there wasn't any extensive damage to your house.

Thanks for all your supportive thoughts and words regarding the funeral services.  It means a lot.

No work out today.  Slept in.  Tonight is our office Christmas party, so I'll need to be sure to wear my extra roomy pants.

Here's a great short film about the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run.  At 7:31, that's me hugging my buddy, Kate, after her 2013 finish, and her sister, Karen, to the right.  We're famous! 

Also - There's a new 50k in town if anybody is interested!  Just a couple of hours down the coast from me.  Unfortunately, it's the same day as my dad's memorial, so I'll have to pass until 2017.

Have a g

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wow, wow, wow about Leslie in the Western State’s film.
                Can someone freeze the 7:31 action and post it?
                ps - here's an "ood" for ya. .

MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO GO TO JAPAN
                Friday, Friday, sure turned out to be a great day for me too.
                Not that I need anything to make up for yesterday’s small cedar tree smashing up the metal gutters along the roof when it called it quits in the face of the week’s steady rains and strong winds but I just got a big Christmas present ticket to spend the upcoming holidays in fish-lover’s heaven Japan, especially the mostly seafood feasting on January 1 to welcome the new year.  Unfortunately, after preparations over here, I’ll be arriving on Christmas Eve, just in time for an all-day session on Friday, December 25. However, I’ll still be on jet lag so can celebrate on Saturday when it’s still Christmas over here.  yippEE 
                ps - anyone want some cedar for the fireplace or woodstove?

pps steve - don't memo it to jay but it takes me a long time to brawn too,

. . . . even longer to brain, if ever

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice Christmas present, Tet!!!

This is the best I could do on the picture.  Kate's face says it all ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It's me It's me It's Ernest T!

...I knew there was a Reason we shouldn't have let him back on The Island.........

=============

70's here

............should have been a Rest day, but it was just TOO GOOD/////////

...60-min HH walk with handweights and 2-lb boots

came home Sweaty and Righteous

..........................good running guys..................Safe Thoughts for our PNW-ers....

eta-

did I see tet on TV after the tree leaned on his house??...............didn't know he owned a Beenie with a Propeller on the Top.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Shorts & t-shirt weather for a 5 mile run this morning.

Leslie - I finally got around to trying PCmover and I don't recommend it to move your applications. It wants to copy everything from one PC to another.  I carefully tried to unselect everything except the application I wanted to move (Coffee Cup HTML Editor).  It says it was moved but it isn't on the new system.  A lot of work for a failure in the end.  There must be something better to just move an application or two. Not sure what it is though.

Favorite Ernest T quotes:

"If id'a seen you was coming, id'a knowed what to do, id'a raised both arms, and id'a wove at you."

"If a duck stands still, you can catch him by the bill...honk, honk."

"I'm a little mean, but I make up for it by being real healthy."

"I dropped by to invite you up to my cave to eat. Got some possum steaks--nice and tender. Been beating at them with a stick."

Sayhey! MM#130

Me too!!  Read up on y'all but have to rush--South Dakota friends are in town and we're meeting them for dinner!

8 out to Lakes park and back for me this am.   Love the birds.

And y'all aren't so bad either!

grins,

A

O, yay tet, glad for the Japan trip, the roof, not so much.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - Humboldt County looks so beautiful!  You know, I don't have California yet......

DD got a one-hour after-school detention next week (normally detentions are half-hour before-school) for "dancing and twirling like a ballerina" on the way back to her desk from the front of the room.  That seems a bit excessive.    This is the same teacher who called me to say that DD has a tendency to cheer people on when they are at the blackboard writing an answer, calling out encouraging, positive comments, and the teacher is very upset by this disruption.  Hmmmm...I didn't really know how to respond to that.

I have been having some foot pain this week in my left foot.  The Injured Runner identifier says it might be Sesmoiditis.  I don't know, but it is a new one to me.  I will try icing over the weekend to see if it helps.

8 miles for me this morning in 52 degrees, followed by about 25 minutes of varied exercises.   I

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I got nothing. Up at 3:30 to be at the Y to open the doors for all of the crazy 5AM people, then a two-hour stint ringing the bell for the Salvation Army, then home to hang out with the grandboys while their mom did some Christmas shopping. I'm ready to put jammies on and crawl in bed. Just checking to see what you're all up to today.

Carry on!

Holly, congrats to your son on his calc test.  Having taught AP calc in HS and calc 1 at a local community college, I understand how  big a deal this is.  Fatozzig, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Nice long runs for Steve and Mike.  Good job on the speed work for Mari.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and there was some wind.  I did 6 miles at an 11:22 pace.

This afternoon we got the sad news that a nephew's ex wife died.  He has had custody of their 2 sons, aged 6 and 2.  He now has to deal with telling them and raising them without a mother.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I took a vacation day, today, to attend a friend's dad's funeral.  This is the woman who ran a lot of miles with me, last year, when I was training for the VT50.  Her husband is the assistant cross country coach.  I only knew her dad from seeing him at the cross country meets and the banquets but he seemed to be a very caring and loving dad and grandfather.  I hope that I am remembered as fondly as he is.  I had written a little something to say, just in case they asked if anybody had something to say...but they never did...which was okay.  It was a sad day.

While I was at the luncheon after the burial, I was sitting at a table when one of the church volunteers (not my church) came over and said, "I haven't seen that Christmas letter of yours, yet."  I just laughed and told him it was sitting on my dining room table, waiting to be put in an envelope.  After he left, I leaned over to the guy I was sitting with and asked, "Who was that guy?"  Luckily he knew him and told me his name so I could come home and make sure he was getting a letter.

Since I had the day off and I was all dressed up, I stopped by a company that I have applied to a couple of times in the past, to drop off a resume and see if anybody had any time to talk to me.  They said that all applications had to be done online.  I asked if I could, at least, leave my resume.  Nope!  All applications must be done online. So, I came home and did their online application and just as I was just about finished, I got kicked out.  Something tells me they really don't want me...but I'll keep trying.

I will say that the one thing I do like about my job is--they need me.  Even though I took a vacation day, I drove in to make sure all the guys had what they needed and, sure enough, I had to answer a couple questions before they could continue.  As much as I like that feeling--I'm not going to feel bad when I find something new...if I ever find something new.

Oh--I ran, today, too.  10 miles in 1:22:59...I just wasn't into it at all.

Okay--gotta go fold some Christmas letters...or go to bed...I'll decide when I get upstairs.  See ya!