Masters Running

Surgery report, 5.5.22 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

I di my final warm-up by not eating after midnight the day before, and only drinking water till6:45AM. DW and I arrived at the start area/hospital at 8:45. I changed into my ‘race’ gear of a stylish blue & white gown, well-vented in the back, and red socks that didn’t match at all. They had non-slip dots on the bottom so I wouldn’t slip in the course. I had my stomach shaved (that was a first!), presumably to make me more aerodynamic during the race. Answered a thousand questions, and then got wheeled to the start line and transferred to a faster bed. The start crew went into action and they were a whirl of activity. I gad a mask put over my mouth/nose and new stuff dripped through the port in my arm, and I was off to the races…  Something must have happened along the way because I hurt like a son of a gun when I woke up at the finish line. I learned that they had just given me my post-race treat, and it soon took effect. I also learned that they found an inguinal hernia on my right side, and had dispatched that one as well as the one on my left. I changed out of my race clothes, got wheeled to the door, and DW drove me home at about 2:30. Since then, I’ve been in bed, have been trying not to move more than necessary, and have been sleeping and rehydrating. I don’t know if I’ll be able to walk a mile on Friday (I’m not taking the serious painkillers they prescribed, so I’ll feel all that is there), but I  think I finished 1st in my AG yesterday. Final note: the team that worked on me could not have been more engaging, efficient, and professional.

Where’s my margarita!!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Jay - Thank goodness things went well.  I hope you are keeping your streak alive.💖🎖🎖✨✨

SteveP

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh Jay!

Great first time ever operative report!

You are a gem.

Great twofer in the hernia department. Glad the pit crew was thorough.

Heal up! Don't do anything stupid.

Thanks for checking in with such flair and imagination!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Henrun

Jay, great report. Sounds like I was in a similar race 2 weeks ago. Don’t overdo.!I did yesterday and paid for it with a painful night. Will take it easy today. Good luck in your rehab.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Great advice, Henry.  Take it easy today! Two weeks post op is early in the race.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Geeze, Jay—I thought you were going in for surgery—I didn’t know you were doing a trail ultra… congratulations on the age group win!

Best report ever, by the way… laughed all the way though it!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - nice! I won my AG too about five years ago. As was my wont in those days, I enjoyed a generous taper afterwards but it's apparently okay to walk "slowly", and even stairs, . . . when you feel like it. Good luck.

ps - I guess you really did post on little Friday. Thanks.

Otherwise,  happy Roger Bannister Day. No live sports out in the PNW in those days like Henry seeing the first NHL game when he was 11 or 12 but, at the same age, I vividly remember Roger Bannister's 3:59 mile on Movietone News in 1954 that preceded the Saturday afternoon movie at the local theater, usually Hopalong Cassidy or Roy Rogers. Never thought that I'd also ever be running an occasional 3:59 too,  . . oh, those were in hours, . . . and now in my dreams.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dnaff

Thanks for checking in Jay, rest well!  I am glad to read you had a healthcare team that was topnotch and treated you well.  I also like reading you haven't needed the heavy duty pain killers.  Each day of recovery pain is different - its good you have them if  you should need them.

Nice report, Jay. I wasn't clever enough to do that a few weeks ago. But the memories are still fresh enough that I relived them through your report, especially the feeling when they wheel you into the O.R. and unfamiliar people are swarming around you like a medical pit crew, then the feeling when the serious anesthetic starts flowing and then you wake up when it's all over. Like you, the pain meds were a waste for me to fill, although I expect you might have more post-op discomfort.

Anyway, nice to see that you did well and should be able to do some rehab walking soon!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Great report, Jay, and I hope you recover quickly.  Sometimes streaks have to end (well, most of the time they end...) and I know you will have a bit of pain.  I really loved the write-up and congrats on the finish!

4.5 miles- almost beat the rain.  Was heading up to the driveway coming home when it hit.

My daughter has accepted the priest position in San Francisco, so there will be big changes in our lives.  Not sure of the timing yet.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Glad to hear you're on the mend.  And you got a 2-fer!  Nice.

As this group gets older, I suppose it was only a matter of time before surgery reports displaced race reports! 

Be safe. Be kind.

As this group gets older, I suppose it was only a matter of time before surgery reports displaced race reports! 

+1

Glad the surgery went well, and that you haven't lost your sense of humor! Lots of good advice here. I especially liked the "don't do anything stupid" one 

You've got many, many years to get that streak back. Take it easy, Jay!

Post of the Day award to Tramps.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.  And you got a 2-fer!  Nice.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Nice job on the race/surgery report.

When I first started reading it, I thought "wow, clearly the drugs haven't worn off yet".

Hilarious, thanks for the laughs, and take it easy!  You've earned it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Yeah, "Don't do anything stupid" is advice we could all use from time to time... Glad to hear it went well and I think (not that you asked) it's best to let your recovery take priority over any streak you have going. Interesting that they found another that wasn't known about beforehand, but glad you're all fixed up!