Masters Running

Bye, bye, November, 11.30.19 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

KSA, I'm very sorry about your employee's horrible news. How devastating that must be for the entire family.

Starr, it's good to learn that you have good support around you, and that you had a different, but good Thanksgiving.

I know someone who has some dairy cows, and they named the first one "Lunch" and the second one "Dinner". I have no idea what that has to do with yesterday's discussion here.

Joe, I have an old maul and wedge that I got from a friend when he and his DW moved to FL a few year's back. He's 94, and he had had it for a while, so it's definitely not new. I also have a small electric splitter which, of course, I use as much as I can.

Falconfixer, we are also always in search of the perfect stuffing recipe. DW tried to follow her dad's recipe once, but it wasn't as good. He asked if she washed her hands first. She said she had, and he said that was the problem...

I got the burnable wood all moved from the wood shed to the rack in the carport yesterday, and move the split new wood from a stack on a pallet into the wood shed, and then split some more tree pieces and added then to the wood shed as well. Our only Black Friday shopping was at Trader Joe's which doesn't really count. DW made turkey pot pie with left-overs for last night's dinner, plus a pumpkin pie. Both were right tasty!Today, we're going to our downtown to support some local businesses - no online shopping, and no chain stores.

I was up at J o'clock and went 7.4 RW miles in 23° temps, with some appreciable wind. I was a bit under dressed for the conditions, and so just kept moving along to try to get/stay warm. I had negative splits the whole way, and was rewarded with not numb hands by the time I got back home.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I've been "busy" and not around much the last couple days, other than to throw my two cents in on the meaning of "dinner". We moved last week to stay close to my mother-in-law who moved a week earlier to a new assisted living place. A couple days after we got here she had to go to the hospital and wouldn't you know it, she wanted to go to the hospital back where we just moved from so we were making the commute in reverse. But she was released on Thanksgiving and recovering next door.

I have continued to unpack and get things organized.

My daughter, son-in-law, and husky are still here. They are planning to leave tomorrow, but there is a winter storm warning posted for their home area in Michigan so that may change.

And of course, watching sports has kept me busy.   Buffalo Bills won on Thursday, Buffalo Sabres and WVU won on Friday.  Today we have the Michigan-Ohio State game and more Buffalo Sabres.

Running? Yes. 2 in the rain this morning and 3.1 yesterday exploring the neighborhood. (I think I mentioned running a Turkey Trot on Thursday with my daughter.) I can't find any good running routes around here so I am a bit concerned about that. Roads are narrow and unfriendly to runners. No parks that I can find which are a quick trip away.

Thanks, Jay, and thanks everyone for the thoughts for my employee.  She is one of the best employees in the company and has been there a long time.  One of the things of which I'm most proud  that I've accomplished is that I got her a great promotion and she is currently the highest ranking African American female in our company, despite not having a college degree.  Her sister and daughter also work at the company.  She's just one of those terrific people and a hard worker.

I forced myself out the door before the rain moves in and did 4.2 miles.  I want maybe another treadmill mile later to finish out my month. We'll see.  There is football and basketball...... I'm going over to enemy territory to a friend's house to watch Vandy v Tennessee football.  It won't be pretty and the rivalry is intense.  Tennessee fell so far and Vandy beat them the last 3 years, but it would take a miracle for that to happen this year.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

2 miles in the cold,cold and windy but sunny. I don’t have Joe’s spreadsheet but, after 46years of running, I usually know what to wear.

No big plans today but this evening we’re going to hear some jazz with a neighbor.. We’ll take the subway downtown. Glad we’re not driving anywhere this weekend.

I can't believe tomorrow is Dec 1!!!!!

8.2 morning miles with the Sole Sisters!! We had a big group of varying paces and distances today and my pack had 7 of us together!! So nice but man that headwind was awful at times!!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I can't believe tomorrow is Dec 1!!!!

At 28o, tomorrow's coldest of the 18 I've run

since 1990 is a fitting beginning to December 2019.

KSA - though our eventual deaths are a part of our lives,

murder is not.  I'm sure she'll be appreciating your support.

Another morning miler around the ‘hood testing warm wear to wear in tomorrow’s the coldest Seattle Marathon of the 18 I've run since 1990.  Last time I ran under 32o, though, was at the 2005 Christmas Marathon with econo and, not used to running in the winter anyway, same as I did in 1977 about marathons in general, I vowed “never again!” However, in a change of plans, instead facing another seven or so hours on the cold pavements, with other things on the afternoon agenda, I’m switching to the half to get back by noon. We’ll see.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature . . Image may contain: sky, outdoor, water and nature

Whew, just got back in time to watch a certain football game <<<(MMMM)>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Chilly but dry morning today and I walked about 5 miles with the group from the "running club" that is now more of a "walking club". Anyway it was good to get out in the fresh air (was dressed for it) and enjoy chatting with people as we went.

This afternoon I think I'm going down to Best Buy to get a new soundbar for the TV. The one we have has been intermittent and getting worse lately, but since I decided to replace it, it's been working perfectly. I can return the new one up to Jan 14, so i probably won't even unpack it unless the current one starts acting up again (which will probably be on Jan 15!).

I guess I really should be watching the Michigan-Ohio State game, but I've seen how that goes one too many times. Maybe the fans in Ann Arbor can soothe themselves starting tomorrow when shops there start selling legal weed for the first time!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

tet- what will you wear on your feet tomorrow?

1.1 treadmill miles to finish out my month and day.  It's raining hard now with some thunder and the boy doggie is very unhappy.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, 8.2 miles this morning....after taking DW's pups for 1.9 miles and bringing down her Christmas stuff.  Got it all in prior to the rain coming in (although it's warm enough that getting caught in the rain wouldn't have been too bad.

RunnerKSA, terrible news.  Glad she'll have a support system with y'all.

Jay, that's a very funny story...  I went ahead and kept my hands clean though.

Iron Bowl today.....doubt it will end well for us; but War Damn Eagle!

Have a greta day everyone!

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Splitters are cheating, though.

Nice to hear from you, Denise.

Doug—interesting that you mentioned, “what they’re feeding birds these days.” Tribee—the cook here—got a turkey from a local farmer this year and, in addition to being exceptionally tasty, it was just shaped differently than store-bought birds. Apparently it’s a result of the absence of antibiotics (not hormones or steroids) that get used in crowded factory-farms.

Dave—glad to hear you’re getting to enjoy some sports victories. Thanksgiving’s the traditional first gauge of the standings and the Sabres aren’t that far out of a playoff spot. My Caps have been juggling lines due to injuries but are still finding ways to win, even if they’re not pretty. Caps play the worst-in-the-league Red Wings tonight, which is exactly the sort of game they're known to lose.

Tet—hope it goes well in the chilly weather tomorrow

KSA’s horrible news reminds me…I’d mentioned that a woman I’d worked with every day for several years—our unit’s administrator—was murdered in her home this Spring in Richmond. What I forgot to mention is that after months of silence about the case, they finally arrested a man for the crime this Fall. Turns out he was an employee of a deck renovation company that had done work at her house. He was a convicted sex offender with a decades-long rap sheet of crimes. Meanwhile, my co-worker was one of those wonderful upbeat people. We often talked about running and kayaking, both of which she did.  I think about her often.

On a lighter note, we've been watching Season 7 (?) of Homeland (a CIA-based drama series of uneven quality) which has a Richmond-based story-line this season. In addition, the producers used Richmond locales as a stand-in's for Washington, DC. So throughout the program we're having fun spotting the locations, some of which are in our old neighborhood. One scene even has someone calling for an Uber to "Corcoran Street" and we're going, "No! That's Franklin Street!" We're easily amused.

A classic gray, chilly November day here, with rain forecast for later. TriBee and I decided to go for a hike at our nearby natural area preserve. About 6 miles at walk and talk pace.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tet- what will you wear on your feet tomorrow?.

KSA - thanks to Holly’s advice some years ago, instead of forcing my bare feet to bare with my running no matter what the weather, I’ve adopted a rule-of-thumb (or big toe) that if it’s cold enough to have to garb up the rest of me, my feet deserved to too, e.g. aquasocks, tabi-socks and thongs, wool socks in garden clogs, etc. In fact, as my sole Black Friday purchase this year, I think I’ll wear a pair of the $8.00, fleece-lined, rubber-soled slippers. Thanks.

I guess I really should be watching the Michigan-Ohio State game, but I've seen how that goes one too many times. Maybe the fans in Ann Arbor can soothe themselves starting tomorrow when shops there start selling legal weed for the first time!

Doug - I’m glad they didn’t but if one of the announcers would’ve said that, it’d be Al Michael’s “Do you believe in miracles?” legend. In the meantime, now that the half-time score looks like I'd be in the green shops line too tomorrow if I were in Michigan, maybe I ought to go to another run before it gets even worse.

ps Tom -  I like the Thanksgiving oysters idea so much, just as we decided to do it too for Christmas, Stan Freeberg's "Christmas Carol" spoof from 1953 on the local oldies stations had Joe Friday's sidekick including oysters in their family Christmas dinner tradition, . . . along with "scallions, . . . some people call them onions but they're really scallions."  For some reason, I remember the movie version even more vividly too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps- that's horrible.  I'm glad someone has been arrested.     I didn't realize Homeland was back!  I'll get right on that.  Love the show.

I'm sad that my employee will miss this week of work.  She was going to get to have dinner with our Women's Employee Resource Group steering committee (including me) and 2 of our company's female board members.  It was an opportunity for her to interact with a level of corporate hierarchy to which she is not normally exposed.  Of course, her family comes first.

tet- I thought you put something on your feet in cold weather.  Good move!

Joe618

Afternoon/evening everyone!! 

Jay, thanks for the start and the info on your maul/wedge.   I wondered if you also had a splitter..that really helps the job!!   It's a trick getting every layer right in the winter...I didn't do a good job of that today (spreadsheet notwithstanding) myself. 

Good luck getting settled in, Dave, it can take a while.  Hope you can creatively find some running paths that work soon.   Glad you MIL is back to her new home. 

Way to beat the rain, Karen for your run, Vandy's hanging in there early. 

Henry, way to get out there in the cold!!  Enjoy the cool jazz this evening.

Great group run, Denise!!  That helps on these cold days!!

Good luck at the Seattle Marathon tomorrow, Tet!!   Unusually cold...you are planning well.

Hope your new soundbar works well, Roch.   I bought one a year or so ago and while it has worked well, I found it still "underpowered" despite it's 100W rating...wish I had a 250W version.   Maybe I'm getting deaf in my old age...I dunno, but we have it cranked to the max and at times we still strain to hear.   Need a knob that goes to 11.....

Good run this morning, Falcon.  Very nice.   I'm watching the Iron Bowl here...with all due respect, Auburn got a big break at the end of the half to get that kick off.   What a wild game. 

Tramps, good hike this morning...glad you enjoyed it and are having a good day.

I too have had a good day.   Woke up and had a nice chat with DS3 and DIL3 before they hopped in the car to drive back to Des Moines.   I like those two a lot.   Then I headed out to run, needing 16 miles, wanting to get it in before the predicted rain.   It went OK, despite the mist early and raw, east wind and real rain over the final 5 miles.   The weather was on the edge of shorts/no shorts for me but I went with shorts.   Took a route looping down towards Purdue's campus and realized it's been a long time since I've done this route on a football Saturday.   I was surprised at how many tail gaters were out ahead of a rivalry game that means little this year between Purdue and arch rival Indiana.    Ultimately, the game went overtime but IU won, making KSA happy, no matter how Vandy does.

The run itself was interesting, in that I went through an unusual (for a training run) low spot around mile 5...I worked through it and the cold (I underestimated the chilling factor of the sharp wind) but ultimately got in the full 16 at a better than average aggregate pace.   Not a pretty run by any stretch but it's been a long time since I've had such a consistent training series...it's nice. 

Enjoy your evening and the various football extravaganzas which await.   And on to December!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

I saw that IU won, Joe.  Uusual....  Vandy is losing to UT and Vandy Twitter is in full meltdown.   We are heading out to Waffle House and then basketball.

Hi Dee Ho, Peeps -

Got in a good hour of core/ST late morning, after we got up and went grocery shopping early.  I started doing stability ball roll-outs by laying on my stomach on the ball then using my arms to walk out to where my ankles are on the ball then pulling my knees up.  I can really feel it in my arms, stomach, and love handles.

The Hub has a bad case of ants in his pants and he's driving me crazy. He doesn't do "hang and chill" very well, even though it's what he wants me to do.  If he had his way, we would've gone on another hours long drive again today.  I have one more day to get through with him.  Love the man, but I'll be looking forward to getting back to work on Monday, so I can relax!  

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance