Masters Running

My predicament (Read 597 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

My Predicament I need some advice from some knowledgeable Boomer Masters... First, a little background. My nickname is PBJ (but that’s another story). I took up running as a mid life crisis management tool around the age of 40 (I’m 46 now). I started bumping up my mileage to run a marathon a little over 5 years ago. I run about 2 or 3 marathons a year, and usually follow a twenty week schedule that peaks at around 60 miles a week. Last year, I ran the Boston Marathon (3:10 in a jester suit), the Vermont City Marathon (six weeks later – 3:07), and the Hartford Marathon in October (2:59Tight lippedx, a lifetime goal). Unfortunately, I have had chronic heel pain throughout 2007 (and it’s been worse in 2008). In December 2007, I was restructured out of my old job (at the water cooler company – but that’s yet another story). So I lost the use of a treadmill. My new job is down by the shore in southeastern Connecticut, and I had to switch from morning running to afternoon running. And for the last three weeks, I have had an upper respiratory infection, so my training has suffered tremendously. Prior to the infection, I was running 4 – 5 days per week, averaging about 40 to 50 slow miles per week, with no speedwork ( too painful on the heels). I’ve been depressed – and I’ve avoided running forums – which probably has made things worse. In the last 3 weeks, my mileage dropped to about 30 – 40 miles per week (I am currently taking an antibiotic and prescription cough suppressant with codeine). Normally, I focus on building up the long runs to marathon distance or more (I had a 28 miler before Hartford last year). But so far this year, I only went 20 + miles three times. Just yesterday, I attempted a 4 mile run, and had to stop twice to cough up each lung. Now my predicament – assuming I get healthy in the next week or so – should I still attempt the Boston Marathon? If I do, I know my time will be nowhere near 3 hours, but that doesn’t matter. The key thing is – will I enjoy the race, or will it become a death march because of the lack of training? Do I join the PBJ family as a spectator, or do we call off the whole thing? Your words of wisdom are most welcome. Hope I haven’t bummed anyone out. PBJ
      ...PBJ//.......as you are aware, My Marathon Advice is Zilch...... ........just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear you're hurting, and whether or not you run, You have an Attitude towards Running that has always Impressed me and Made Me Laugh...... ........so, Boston or Not, you're still a Winner in My Book....... (did you know I had A Book??) ...........Good Running to Ya Pal//////////.......CRANBARE!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Ah PBJ - I have no words of wisdom for you - but wanted to welcome you back to the forum. You have been MISSED! ~Your Birthday Buddy

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ! I've missed you, and I know many others have as well. No words of wisdom, but if it was me, I'd say, just run Boston for the joy of it and enjoy the experience, even if you're not up to trying for a PR. Surely three 20-milers under your belt with time for another would make it anything but a death march. Hey, maybe you might even run slow enough that I could keep up with you....for about 3 minutes..... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe B- Sorry to hear about your situation, but such is the life of many a boomer... You are smart enough to know that if you can accept a lesser time goal, then you will be able to finish and enjoy the Boston experience. I'd vote for running it by feel and have fun. Take in the many sights you'd not see if you were focused on bringing home another PR. See the people, enjoy Wellesley, slap some kids with high 5's, take in the 'hills' and spit them out, smile as you pass Fenway and relish Boylston street... But that's just my own personal plan. You do what you will...and I hope you feel better really soon. You've already surpassed all of my goals and remain my hero...

#artbydmcbride

You should absolutely attempt the Boston marathon, and maybe inspire some slow lady from California while you do it. Wink Get well first! {{with healing vibes>>PBJ<with healing vibes}} mta: i hope this is just one of those cool sandbagging posts, where you let everyone know what challenges you are overcoming, and then they are blown away when you finish around 3 hours! :) healing="" vibes}}="" mta:="" i="" hope="" this="" is="" just="" one="" of="" those="" cool="" sandbagging="" posts,="" where="" you="" let="" everyone="" know="" what="" challenges="" you="" are="" overcoming,="" and="" then="" they="" are="" blown="" away="" when="" you="" finish="" around="" 3="" hours!=""></with healing vibes}} mta: i hope this is just one of those cool sandbagging posts, where you let everyone know what challenges you are overcoming, and then they are blown away when you finish around 3 hours! :)>

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

I have absolutely no doubt about my advice: pass on the marathon. Glad to see you here posting. Best wishes to you Joe. Spareribs
                seemomgo

PBJ!!!! Welcome Back!! You have been missed. No advice from me - heck, I've only run one marathon. I think you ran two in the time it took me to run one! Just wanted to say hi and please come back to posting as we all love your escapades!! C-mom
                  SteveP

First of all, it's very very good to hear from you again!!!! PBJ, I'm out of work and getting discouraged. Miles suck. When I get out, it's slow going. I'm haining a heck of a time getting my lungs cleared up as well as fighting depression. I'm scraping the Bayshore Marathon this year. What would you advise one of your kids to do in the same situation???? Ask your Dr. as well. Mine's also a runner. My $.02 that needs to be adjusted for deflation. Again, good to hear from you.

SteveP

I am sorry to hear about all of your travails. Hopefully they will all pass soon. Spareribs is right though, skip the marathon. Better yet knock it off with the running until your heels are recovered. You should not be getting chronic heal pain from your runs. My guess is you are not giving them the time off they need to heal. If you keep reinjuring them by running you may end up permanently disabled. It is not worth the risk. Once you are healed up you can go back to training and racing. In 2006 I had to sideline myself for three full months and then ramp back up really slowly. It took another 9 months to get back to where I left off. Believe me it was worth every day off! Since then I have set numerous PR's and I am back to running marathons. So my advice is: No running. Get better. Get back to running. Keep us up to date!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi PBJ- It's good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your heel and illness issues. I'm no expert, but assuming you get over your infection AND you are able to train slowly with no further heel pain, I'd go for Boston with the aim to run slowly and a have a great time. Having said that, I qualified at Hartford after being injured for a good bit of the summer, coming back with relatively low mileage in the last 6 weeks before the race. I PR'd. Go figure. Sometimes less can be more. Either way, we'd love to see you, long-suffering, and the PBJsters in Boston. We've missed you.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I started to type that if it were me I'd go "by feel" like Dale says, but I don't know (if it were me) how I'd feel about the lesser time goal. I suppose for me running it at all would be better than watching it, and I hope I'd know better than to make a death march out of it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PBJ, I'm glad to hear from you as you've been missed. I'm also sorry to hear about your setbacks, running and otherwise. I don't feel qualified to give marathon advice but couldn't help from thinking that you don't want to make things worse by pushing yourself rather than cutting back, or temporarily stopping, to let yourself heal. Whatever you decide, I hope it works for the best and that you keep us informed as to what's going on. TomS
                            hup

Nice to see your post ... sorry to hear that you've had troubles. Regarding your UR infection - I think I'd give it a couple more weeks then see how you feel (as you have planned). If you are truly over the infection, I think you would be able to amble 26 miles on the training you have. About your heels - I spent the better part of 2006 and early 2007 battling heel pain/plantar fasciitis and can tell you that running a marathon, no matter how easy, is not going to make your pain go away. (but you already know that) So, I guess if I were you I'd skip Boston as a runner and enjoy as a spectator with the remaining PBJs. I scratched from the recent Napa Valley Marathon due to a knee but still went and spectated for my training partner. It was fun, and sharing the spectator experience with Mrs hup gave me a different perspective ... of course, I'd have loved to have run so as to have taken advantage of the 20 MPH TAILWIND!!! that the runners enjoyed Tongue Oh well ....
                                Hi PBJ, As I emerged from lurking on CR, you were waiting for the official Hartford results and then life took many twists and turns for you. I have wondered and worried about you, so I am happy to see you over here! The advice here is good even if contradictory in some ways. I tried running Boston just for fun in 2002 and felt miserable for months afterwards. I had a winter-long cold that year and was facing major surgery soon after Boston. It was fun to see the crowds and all that and the history of this marathon is of course undeniably seductive. BUT.... I get the sense that you are competitive and want to do your very best for you. If you can TRULY be satisfied doing this for fun---perhaps in a costume that will make you go slowly Wink My goal at the NYC marathon one year was not to be beaten by the Triceratops costume. And if you can drop out and be FINE with that at the first sign of serious pain.....then maybe it's worth it. You are a talented runner and I assume you wish to be racing and running for years to come. I hope I get to meet you in either capacity---if you run or spectate. Good Luck with your decision and I hope you are feeling better soon. CNYrunner