Masters Running

Thursday Workouts! (Read 779 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For the managers, the question was "I make a habit of catching my people doing something right and spontaneously offering praise." I used a standard Likert scale of 1-6, with 1 meaning "Strongly disagree" and 6 meaning "Strongly agree." Managers, no matter what client I administered the instrument with, answered on average 5.5. They thought they were very strong at this. When I administered this to their subordinates, the question was worded, "My manager makes it a habit to catch me doing something right and spontaneously praising me." The subordinates scored this question at about 1.5. The gap of FOUR was the largest in the entire survey. And it seems to be true in my observation and facilitation of the issue of informal reward and recognition. Managers tend to believe they do a great job of it, but the people who most need this reinforcement are convinced they aren't getting enough of it.
    Using this analogy, not in the workplace, but in the homefront, this is GOLD in terms of parenting advice. Maybe even marital advice, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Using this analogy, not in the workplace, but in the homefront, this is GOLD in terms of parenting advice. Maybe even marital advice, too.
      It's all about relationship.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay - back from my first run with the heart rate monitor and it went well - except for the dead deer that about gave me a heart attack! It was not on the road side of the bike path - but on the other side with its head almost laying on the path - staring at me it seemed. I din't notice it until I was right next to it - geech! So, how do you determine your resting heart rate and what you max, etc. should be? This is the stats from today's run for someone to interpret and help me along . . . Mile 1 - 10:31 - 156 bpm Mile 2 - 10:15 - 169 bpm Mile 3 - 10:06 - 172 bpm Mile 4 - 10:33 - 173 bpm Mile 5 - 10:24 - 174 bpm Average pace - 10:22 Average bpm - 169 Thanks! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

"So, how do you determine your resting heart rate and what you max, etc. should be?"
          "Should be" is the wrong thing to be looking for. Instead figure out what they "are". The resting HR can be found by checking your HR just after waking up, while still lying down. The maximum HR can be found by running a 5K really hard or by doing a super serious hill training session, till you think you're going to puke. Once you know your resting HR and max. HR you can figure out appropriate paces - recovery, easy, GA, tempo, repeats, etc. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

I jsut finished importing my log from CR to here. I am so excited I can dance, I can shout, I can jump up and down. yepeeeeeee

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice to see Tet signing in. Holly, I think you are thinking of "madames" instead of mistresses. I find I have to look at my post from all angles in order to prevent baiting Dark Horse, which is ridiculously easy to do. Did 4 mile recovery run on treadmill, followed by 20 min on stationary bike. HR was pretty low on both machines. I take it this means I am getting either fitter or older. Enjoy the day.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I think you are thinking of "madames" instead of mistresses.
                Enk - this is where I got the notion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_(Peerage_of_Scotland) Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I find I have to look at my post from all angles in order to prevent baiting Dark Horse, which is ridiculously easy to do.
                  Spareribs is the master baiter. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                    They are/were talking about creating a masters forum. I might post a note saying I think it would be a good idea. Off hand I think that would be a good idea. This group is not that easy to find. I know that I found the CR B&B forum by accident and doubt I would have found this one were it not for Holly S.
                    Hey, a Masters forum! What a great idea! That way, new people could find us! Dark Horse
                    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                      10.5 miles in sleet.

Hill Runner

Good Morning! I don’t really know what to call us now. Are we still “Boomers?” Or are we now “Runnersahead?” Or would that be “Runneraheaders?” Smile
                        Holly, That has been bothering me also...I was going to propose that we ask the "Powers that Be" , to rename the "Masters Running" club to "Boomers"....anyone else second that motion? I for one just don't consider myself a "Master" ....but" Boomer" that just fits better. No run for me today as I got to bed real late & just couldn't get up for my usual 6:00AM run... Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank you BregerBill!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

10.5 miles in sleet.
                            ....SLEET////////........you're itchy, but tough econo........ ......peterNC//.......maybe we could be ''Headers"".......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

No quote needed....You know the one I'm talking about! I knew it would just be a matter of time....was just wondering who it would be!
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              TammyinGP

It was nice to pop in here today and see a post from Tet Big grin This is a long daily and I couldn't possibly catch up with it all although I'm sure it's laced with the usual riveting humor that is so unique to this group of boomers! I ran 6 on the TM last night after about 3 days "off" from running but "on" with too much eating. I'm feeling a bit fluffy in the middle, so time to get back to being more disciplined. December is turning into my low mileage month. I'm only at 62 miles so far this month Roll eyes , but I have still surpassed what my goal was in mileage for the year, so I'm just enjoying the 'run if I feel like it or don't run if I don't have the time or inclination" attitude. About mid January I'll start up my marathon training and am hoping I'm not part of the majority of first time marathon trainers that end up injured while training. I've never used an online training log before but am tempted to try out the one offered here. Looks like it's pretty cool. Is that what most folks here are using? have a good day all!

Tammy