Masters Running

Saturday, Sept. 12 Runs and Chuckles (Read 348 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

7 stiff-legged, easy-paced (ave 10:16) miles for me today in 58°.  I’ve been slacking on my x-training the last couple of weeks, and it shows: I’m pretty sore from yesterday’s workout, when normally I would have only felt it slightly.  Serves me right…

Now we’re off to DD’s soccer game (no doubt to get clobbered again-sigh).  Afterward, we’re taking our dogs to the local pool.  Tomorrow they will drain the pool for the winter, but today they have a sort of dog festival and let you bring your dogs swimming in the pool!  (dogs only, not people)  Should be fun.

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Hi Holly

Good Morning to all who follow.

Our pool does that too. Opens the last day for out canine friends. We take our dog Sadie.....she loves it.....as do all the other dogs.

6.5 easy miles for me this morning. My last 18 - 20 miler tomorrow then full blown taper. I'm planning on filling my time up with some swimming.

I'm at Work for a few hours then I'll putz around the house with the Iowa vs Iowa State game blaring on the radio for the rest of the day.

Good Morning!

6 miles in the gentle rain this morning---felt zippy and steady. Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday! It was a good day. I am off to NYC in just a bit with two of the Js (also September b-day girls). They will play and shop while I am at a cousin's baby shower and then we'll meet up for dinner before heading Northward again.

So sorry about your mother's car Teresa. That's just awful.

Hope the doggies enjoy their dip Holly. Good running SLO---tomorrow is my last really long one---24 miles and then the angst begins!

Happy weekend all.

dg.

good morning!

Holly... well gee.  I hope you learned your lesson. .   What did you do with all that spare time?? (you do know I'm kidding...)    Should be fun with the dogs.   take some pictures!    That is too bad for DD... when she tries so hard.  Tell her wtg for me.

Slo_hand..   enjoy your putzing.   I have a question for you re something you posted the other day, but don't want to take time right now.      My Sadie would love the pool too (ours does it for a day or 2 also) but she is not always great with other dogs.  Sometimes she's fine, I am not always sure what to do about it.

Tammy, nice run last night!    a stark contrast to mine.   what was your secret?   I hope DS has a great game today.  that's why you can't run your 10K?

8.2 miles last night.  It was about 76, much cooler than Tammy or Bill or ....    but a lot warmer than what I'm used to.  I was tired, I run in the morning, & ... blah blah blah.   well, I also had sort of a relapse from this cold thing.. woke up yesterday morning after a decent night's sleep feeling like I hadn't slept at all.  but none of those things are enough to explain why the run was so awful.      I felt good before I started, but then was out of breath almost immediately, & just never really felt better.   There were a few moments I guess when I kicked into gear & it felt good, but not for long.   was supposed to be 9 but the 8.2 was a miracle.   av. pace was 9:51, best mile was 9:28.  It was a really pretty evening too.   Anybody ever feel almost sick after a run?  I knew I should eat but didn't want anything.  ached, was shaky & just weird.   ended up just going to bed.  At least I was down 2 lbs. this morning.  :-). 

had a happy trip to the Farmer's market this morning, & now I'm headed back outside to get some areas leveled & weeded & de-rocked & reseeded.    

Happy Weekend!

mta Hi Karin!   have fun today.

Renee the dog

Hey folks!

3 tear-soaked miles yesterday.  Why is year 8 harder than some of the others?  Don't know...

Stayed up drinking 'till 3 a.m. with my sister & BIL (mostly hydrating, but a couple martinis snuck in there).  Did reel off 13 easy paced miles still this morning.  We have a wedding this afternoon, so I decided i'd better get tomorrow's long run over with now, so I did.

Have a good day, all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Stayed up drinking 'till 3 a.m. with my sister & BIL (mostly hydrating, but a couple martinis snuck in there).  Did reel off 13 easy paced miles still this morning.  We have a wedding this afternoon, so I decided i'd better get tomorrow's long run over with now, so I did.

Way to go nono.......great job at manageing those priorities !

Never let running get in the way of drinking and never let drinking get in the way of running. Great balance and time management.

dg - were you hungry before the run?  Hydrated?  I don't know but shaky sounds like a nutrition issue to me.

5.1 miles, 45:55, 9:05/mi, AHR 139 (71% MHR) -- HR is high because HRM went wacko in the last mile

Now doing a brew -- first since June.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I don't know how long this screen will stay alive, so this is a quickie:

4 miles with negative splits - woohoo!!  Big grin

Fired up the kiln.   Don't know what I'm doing so it is trial and error.   A little more error than success, but it is my first time so will see ...... In the mean time "I'm melting, I'm melting"  Bottles that is.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

spacityrunner

I second WRFB observation DG...sounds like nutrition.  If it happens again, try some hot tea and toast after the run (even when don't feel like eating) and see if you feel better. 

I did an easy 4 miles in 48 today.  along the potomac and around Ft. McNair.  It was a nice run, and i am just loving this cool fall weather.  It was 67F at 10 a.m.  Makes my running so much easier.

Tonight the Kennedy Center is simulcasting the Opera, The Barber of Seville at the Nats Staduim.  Admission is FREE.  I am going to the Opera and have hot dogs

Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

dg. I have been up a couple, ok a couple of couples, seeing as you are down two maybe you want some of my spares?

evanflein I hope the tooth or gum or whatever it really is returns to normal fast.  How was the lamb with mushroom risotto?

lamerunner best of luck with the MRI coming back with something that heals fast.  As I discovered you never know what it will show.

Let us see what is up . . . today the local jogging club started up again.  DW went about 6 miles with her friends.  She is now talking about doing 13 with them next Saturday!  Can you say half marathon?    Victory may soon be at hand!  While unable to run I can still cook!  So I produced a pile of chocolate chip and banana muffins and another of strawberry pecan ones.  I am happy to report they wall went fast.  Less good cooking news was my latest attempt to get find a sweet potato recipe that would get my DW to eat sweet potatoes.  Maybe it is time to give up and just admit she does not like them.  I made a Cajun style dish that was sweet and hot.  They were great, well at least I thought so!  As to DW well . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

It's time to clean and drain our pool as well. Maybe I can be Mrs. P's "pool boy" and clean it while wearing a speedo and shirtless.

We'd like to avoid a sick DG. Take care of yourself Deb.

Tag and I took in a new trail. Very technical. If I ever had a more hilly run, I don't remember it. Not one flat or straight section.  Very fun. Lots of little steams for Tag to drink out of. I did take one break to look out over miles of forest covered hills. Way kewl. Just after the turn around point, I got stung on the butt by a bee. It reminded me of snake bite jokes. Mrs. P won't get the stinger out.

Tag got ice cream when we were dog.

I got a sore butt.

30 min out, 26:30 back.

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

Twocat:  I have experimented with oven roasted sweet potato "fries" but they always come out too soggy because of that soft flesh and so much water, but one way I like them is peeled and sliced about 1" thick, then toss with a bit of olive oil, lots of salt and white pepper and cook them slowly on a charcoal grill, being very careful to turn often so they don't blacken.  They're done when pierced easily with a bbq fork.  They should have some grill marks on them and they are very tasty.  The Saint can eat 7 lbs of them; never any leftovers.

Got in about 5 miles today including a 5K race in pouring rain.  I didn't feel too peppy and managed just 7:53's, but this is my best since surgery, and it gives me a start to the fall racing season as it has been hard to train here during the summer.  I had a lot of fun. 

I was 2nd in my AG and the guy who was first ran at about 7's, beating me badly of course.  I used to beat him regularly in the past and I congratulated him on how well he is running lately and told him I see his name in the papers all the time, which really lit him up.  I didn't tell him of my surgery because I didn't want to take away from his win.  We walked back to our cars together and talked about how wonderful it is to be out there racing and feeling good at our age.  I felt very good about this.  Spareribs

Ran a 1.1 mile leg of a 10k relay at the Community Cup this morning,  I was smokin' toward the finish line, 25 meters to go, when my right shoe caught in my left shoe lace loop and I went down like a ton of bricks.   But I hit & rolled then jumped up to finish strong  in 7:50 for my 1.1 miles w/hills.  We finished 10th outta 15 teams.  Cut left knee & bruised right palm. 

However I was able to later do my 10k training run w/out any aches, so I guess I'm alright.  DW still on the DL.    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Ribs - nice job on your race and even more on your sportsmanship afterwards -- that was truly kind - one more proof of the goodness of runners!!

nono - nice job on your long run - enjoy the wedding

holly and slo -- dog day at the pool sounds fun - wonder how my senior golden would like it

karin - hope you enjoyed a fun day in NYC with the J's

dg -  feel better

steve - did MrsP decided to help you with that stinger

today was the Ollie 5 miler in So. Boston - carpooled with a couple friends then met up with a lot of people from our running group - MVS had a great showing today -- also bumped in to BadDawg again!!

3 miles easy before the race with a friend 31:54

5 miles - 43:14:  8:38, 8:43, 8:49, 9:11, 8:33 - not sure why that 4th mile slowed down - was a bit of incline but was more likely due to the fact that my sneakers were sopping wet and felt like they weighed 10lbs by then

2.15 miles cool down also with friends 25:16

then hooked up with the rest of our group and enjoyed a couple of free beers and chowder before we turned blue - strange how cold high 50s low 60s can feel when you're soaked

fun day all in all despite the rain!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, good luck to your DD's soccer team!  Tammy, good luck to your DS's football team!  I hope the kids have fun and the parents behave themselves (not referring to you guys, of course).

Nono, sorry you had tear soaked miles last night. You OK?

Mary, have fun with your new kiln!

Ewww, sweet potatoes.  I agree with Twocat's DW - yuck.

Sarge, glad you're OK after that face plant.  Musta looked greta!  Good think no one fell over you - coulda been a pile up in front of the finish line.

Rest day for me - 10K race tomorrow morning.  The forecast looks good - cool and overcast.  High near 60, but will be closer to 50 at race time.  Chance of snow tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.