Masters Running

Father's day, last palindrome, 6.19.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and Happy Father's Day to you all!

I'm sorry that I've had no time to look at yesterday's daily. We drove to Brooklyn, NY yesterday, and hit horrendous traffic just about as soon as we hit the NYC border. We finally got to DW's aunt's home for a visit. She's 87 and not well, so we wanted to spend some time with her, which we did and it was good. We also took a little detour to go by the house DW's family lived in when she was born and where she grew up (which was condemned after Hurricane Sandy, and is still boarded up). Then we drove to a friend's home on Long Island (fighting more absurd traffic almost the whole way), where we'll stay for another day or two. When we arrived, he was in the middle of a 'brown out.' We smelled some gas in the kitchen, and convinced him to call the fire dept as a precaution. They came and determined that it was caused by the hand-lit pilot light on the stove, and said, also as a precaution, not to use any propane/gas appliances till the power was restored (which it was at about 6:45pm). I made and brought a chocolate whiskey cake that we dug into last night, and tonight I'll be grilling salmon (which I'll serve with TJ's corn relish), and also cooking up a mess of roasted veggies.

10.1 RW miles this morning in temps in the low/mid 60s, under clear skies, and with just a hint of a breeze. I didn't muster much speed,, but this was my longest workout since early May, so I was still happy with it.

Have a greta Sunday/Father's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Adventures with family and friends, Jay!

Happy Fathers Day.

So much cooler today: 12 miles in under 80 degrees!  My running chum and I did 2 bridge RTs in celebration.

DH is still out test riding the bike.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Boys with their toys.   Glad he's enjoying it, Amy.  And hopefully another good game this afternoon.

Happy Father's day to all those who celebrate.  Off to brunch shortly--shouldn't be too crowded. 

Sounds like so much fun, Jay.  Glad the end results were worth it.

Sorry about the knee, Holly.  Don't know if your insurance does this, but ours has a place to call that will set you up with lower cost diagnostics.  Can't decide whether I'd do it or not.  probably leaning towards yes.

Nice long run Dave.  I've sort of forgotten what double figures look like, at any pace.

What passes for long run for me was 6.3 miles this morning.  Tried to get out early to beat some of the heat.  Started fairly slowly, and ended up even slower as I realized that the drippy nose was actually a nose bleed when I wiped it with my shirt.  So a few minutes of walking while waiting for it to stop.  Guess it's been really dry the past few days--usually a winter problem.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Jay, the house is still boarded up but condemned? What do they usually do with those? You'd think the city would want to get the property back on the tax rolls. Have fun with your friend, dinner tonight sounds yummy.

Glad DH got his bike, Amy! Ever thought about him coming along with you on your runs? DH biked me in on a race a few years ago, a tough one and it really helped.

Stumpy, yeah the brunch places aren't too packed on Fathers' Day, right? I think most people are into grilling dinner instead of brunch. That's so Mothers' Day. Sorry about the nosebleed. We have a very dry climate most of the year so those can hit any time. Your tagline says you're looking for a fall half. Are you still?

So... my race. (warning, sort of a race report in the daily)

Well, it's done, let's say that. I like a lot of things about this race. The distance (10k) is actually a good one, much better than a 5k really. But there are getting to be so many "things" about it that are getting worse. It's fun to have all the people come out and cheer, it's really the only race in Fairbanks where that happens. But it's gotten to be like one big block party. It was obvious last night that some of those folks had been out since the afternoon or early evening getting ready. And by getting ready, I mean drinking. They always offer to spray you with a garden hose or set up sprinklers for you to run through, but now there are so many kids squirting runners with "super soakers" and hoses, and throwing water balloons. It's ridiculous! A girl in front of me at about 3.5 miles was hit in the head with a cup full of water by a kid, whose dad yelled at him "Hey, I said no head shots!" so obviously it was ok to hit runners with the water cups, just not the head.

I ran pretty well but didn't feel I could hold goal pace (7:30) and I was right. By the second water stop, I actually walked and had a cup. Then I took other walk breaks. Really short, but that fatigued feeling had crept back into my quads and I had no legs. Maddening! Stomach fine, gut fine, feet fine (these are all the usual suspects), but I just had no legs. Then, after mile 4 I walked again briefly but always check to make sure no one is behind me first. After maybe 4 walk steps, BAM! some idiot slams into me from behind! Yowza, more surprised than hurt but I was pissed and said some unladylike things. Turns out, some of the runners were drinking too. This guy was zig-zagging across the road hitting up all the parties and grabbing a beer. Others were just grabbing and drinking at a walk, or taking it with them. How do these guys run so fast buzzed? Anyway, this was a young guy (prolly early 20's) and he just took off with his friend, giggling and yelling, and I was steaming. Was now trying to salvage a sub-48 10k, but even that wasn't gonna happen. So.... 48:38 is official time but I was still 1st in age group and 31st overall out of over 1,700. Total finishers was 3,072 so yes, this is a big race for us here. That's about 10% of our city's population (although runners come from all over, many folks from Anchorage and other states as well as other countries).

Almost everyone was off their time though. My time last year of 46:30 would have put me at 15th or 16th overall for women whereas last year I was 25th. It wasn't hot-hot-hot but it was warm and a little muggy (for us, you guys would laugh). In the finish area, I had 3 guys come up to me and ask if I was ok after the collision. I said yes, thanks, more pissed than hurt. I was following two women who usually beat me but I wanted to hang with them for awhile (they were running my goal pace) and lost them after mile 2. But they finished just a bit slower than my time last year, so that's how I really know it was a tough night for everyone.

Long, sorry, but I wanted to vent a bit. I'm going to send a message to the RD and let her know we may not be able to control the crowds, but we need to prohibit runners from drinking on the course. If you're in the walkers in the back, ok fine. But if you're in the front of the pack with people trying for a good time, have fun and run a good race, but drink the beer afterwards. Grrrr. Not sure what we can do about the poor parenting skills or bad choices of the crowds.

Today I'm not sure what I'll do. I only need 12 to hit my 50 mile goal for the week. Nothing hurts, I'm just tired. So maybe an easy run with a pre-arranged ride at the end so I don't have to come back up the hill to home.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Back from brunch, and now watching the blue hose (today only).  Surprising, our favorite breakfast spot was NOT crowded.  Corned beef hash omelet pretty much took care of any calories burning I did earlier.  Yum.

The tag line is actually last year's ( I'm not too slow on updating, right?), but I'm thinking of Jay's half again.  I should maybe do a different one, but I really like the Seacoast.  And its after race food.  Note to Jay--can you get a beer sponsor?  That would make it just about perfect.

Nice racing, Erika.  It's nice to have a good time (one way or another), but you don't want people getting hurt.  Throwing CUPS?  That's a WTF for me.

Ran today, in spite of a myriad of aches and pains, ... my back, my right hip, my left ankle, and a couple of blisters - most of them were from dancing at a dear friends 50th birthday party until 1:30 am, so it serves me right. Anyways - today I started with a long and relaxing 45 minute stretch, before my 4 mile run (which included a couple of walk breaks). I now have an invitation to join a friend at a restorative yoga class, so I think that will help with the (temporary) aches and pains.

Erika! Although running and drinking may not be banned, maybe public intoxication?

Amy - this is the new bike that DH was eyeing recently?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

coastwalker I can sure sympathise with you about the tri-state area traffic! Yesterday when my DW and I returned from London we flew into Newark. Using our traffic apps we figured out a route home that kept us moving. But it was a pretty long trip nevertheless.

evanflein I have never heard of such a booze filled race. That just seems like a really bad idea. Glad that you ended it up unhurt. Amazing run on your part as always! First in you AG very nice!

I ran 12 miles today. My longest run since starting up again. Next weekend I have a HM on tap. That is one way, I suppose, to add a mile to your long run for the week!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi folks, I haven't posted for several days. Our meeting with the counselor went very well.  We told Angela that we had gone to counseling and asked her if she'd be interested, she said she'd think about it. We are glad that she has made an appointment for a physical, maybe she will bring up other issues.  MrStarr still has a terrible time sleeping and the medicine doesn't seem to help very much.

Happy Father’s Day everyone. MrStarr is a bit disappointed that DD#1, Angela, didn’t greet him today, but she was preoccupied getting her room clean, so that’s a good thing.  She’s gone now until Thursday puppy sitting in the Twin Cities. It’s kind of nice to have just the two of us for a few days.  DS called and said he had a card that he forgot to mail and DD#2 texted a photo of the card!

Twocat, glad you can figure out those traffic apps, but sorry that you need to. I kinda like living in a small town. The traffic in Sioux Falls is getting pretty congested but not like the Twin Cities of the East Coast metro areas.  Speaking of Sioux Falls, I took off work early on Friday and drove over by myself to shop for a swimsuit which isn’t a whole lot of fun. I needed one that didn’t look like a grandma suit but not too, um, revealing.  I used my iphone to take pictures of me from the back, then flipped through to find the best one (photos are now deleted).  After a quick trip to Costco I stopped at a nail salon but didn’t want to wait a ½ hour so headed for home. The sky was dark and looked like rain.  About 2 miles from home the wind picked up to 40-60 mph strait lline winds.  I was so thankful I had skipped the manicure!  It really was a severe storm – not fun to drive in even for just a couple of miles.

I got out yesterday mid-morning for a 4 mile run and took a couple of water bottles along to stash along the way, it was icky sticky out there for sure. I saw a gaggle of geese across the road and ran by with caution (where is tomwhite anyway?) only to have them start honking at me. Once I noticed the lone gosling in the water, I figured out what they were concerned about. Today’s weather was hotter, but there was a breeze.  It sure makes a difference if you run first thing in the morning, so much easier. I ran into my podiatrist and his wife on their bikes and found out about a River Rat race nearby held in April.  It is either running, biking or both.  Maybe MrStarr and I will do that next year. Amy, you guys could come up too!  It's in Yankton, SD.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I forgot to tell Erkia great job on the race.  Too bad those out for a good time get in the way of those who want a good time in the race.

Oh, I have to share this adorable picture of my 5 month old grandson.  I can't wait to be with all my grandkids for a whole week!

Here are the five of them from last year...

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - quick, nip that beer stuff in the bud or there’ll be official beer races of the kind we already have down from the  5K City Tours Beer Runs to the 50K Fat Glass held every September at enke’s favorite Bridle Trails Park.
                      Have a happy grand week starrrrr.

Congratulations on amy's DH's new baby

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

erika - quick, nip that beer stuff in the bud or there’ll be official beer races of the kind we already have down from the  5K City Tours Beer Runs to the 50K Fat Glass held every September at enke’s favorite Bridle Trails Park.

Tet, there's no "quick nipping" of this in the bud, they've been doing this for years. It just seems to have gotten more pervasive.

Did a lot of "home care" chores today, and the kitchen looks much better. Got out for 9.1 miles at a good GA pace, and found myself sort of aggravated at how my legs felt better than last night. But then again, I wasn't asking them to keep a 7:30 pace for 6 miles, either. Oh well. Had MIL and DIL2B over for dinner, and that was fun. Time to get ready for another work week. *sigh*

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

. Oh well. Had MIL and DIL2B over for dinner, and that was fun. Time to get ready for another work week. *sigh*

I like this acronym.