Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 11.6.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

5.8 fartleky racewalking miles at 4:15 in 40F temps, under grey skies, and while being gently buffeted by a SW breeze. Good workout, and a good start to another day.

Have a greta day (what day is it???), and keep smiling.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Chilly, rainy morning here so I took my scheduled "speed" workout to the gym.  Just 32 minutes long, but on The Curve* that is 32 minutes feeling like you're going up hill.  I was going to do 2 minute intervals fast, but the first one about killed me, so I switched to 1 minute intervals fast.  Great workout.

Now to make it (or should I say "fake it") through the day.  Last day of work before taking off to go see the grandkid (Annabelle).  And there is that little item of my daughter's wedding on Saturday but that shouldn't interrupt the fun too much.  Joking

* The Curve:

http://www.woodway.com/images/curve/curve_330.jpg

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning all.  Got something like a race to occupy you this week Jay? Joking

Have fun at the wedding, Dave.  Is Annabelle flower girl?

A slightly extended stay in Indy for me.  The people we're working for have compressed the construction schedule a bit and I have to rush to get an electrical contractor lined up and ready to go with a lot less time and detail than I thought I had.  So leaving at noon today didn't quite cut it.  instead I get the 6:25am flight out in the morning and straight to the office from the airport.  (to try and catch up on the other projects that I'm now behind on)  It's now pouring, so hope it's over before I have to walk the site later this morning. Bleh.

Just under 2.5 miles yesterday and just over this morning around the development that the hotel sits in.  First headlamp runs of the year--no street lights and it gets light a lot later than back on the east coast.

I must be thinking a LITTLE bit about my half on Sunday--I had my first that I can remember "can't find the starting line" dream last night.  Seemed to go on forever and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to get there and it just wasn't working.  But I did only just check the weather for the weekend for the first time this morning-- low 40s and only a mild chance of rain.  Perfect racing weather as far as I'm concerned.

good runs and happier dreams to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Have a great weekend, Dave.

Stumpy--that does sound like good racing weather.  Good luck!

Last speed work of the cycle for me.  8 miles total with 3x1600's on a gorgeous autumn morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good morning, all.

Butterfly-lady, only because I'm going to see my mom this weekend can I not say, "I so wish I was there with you all."

Frens, I need help.  Has anyone dealt wtih piriformis lately?  My advanced medical degree and 20 minutes of web-searching Wink lead me to believe that that's the source of the shrieking pain in my hip/butt, radiating down into the lower leg.  I had to hit it with 600mg of ibu to dent it and boy, howdy, is it ever bad 4.001 hours after that dose.  Last time I was rocking and snivelling in the middle of the night like that, I was in labour.

I haven't been running, riding, or anything-ing enough (we'll put aside the, "where are my fat clothes again?" conversation) to explicitly trigger this, so I suspect that a whole pile of stress just landed there in my body.  Someone please restrain me before I march into AnnoyingTechieBoy's cubicle this morning and tell him he has become a literal pain in my ass.

Unmedicated, any kind of stretching hurts like hell and does no good.  Medicated, I can stretch into a dull ache, but it does no good.  Any opinions on whether I'm harming myself by trying to ease it out like this anyway?  Hoping to see doc today if he can squeeze me in, otherwise tomorrow Sad

Advice?

King of PhotoShop

MS, you know the pose in yoga called cobra? I do ten "press-ups" like that each day, holding the position at the top for a few seconds. The sciatic pain you are experiencing is not the piriformis muscle, but the nerve reaction.  Press-ups bend the spine the opposite way from the athletic position where we are always leaning forward, to drive a car, work at a laptop, causing the vertebrae to mush each disc thinner in the front. Since the nerves are affected by the shape of the discs, bending the other way helps ease the pressure.

The PT I worked with who taught me this showed it also on an anatomical chart and I had the explanation verified by a top sports medicine doctor.  For piriformis, treat it like sciatica because it usually is, and work on the spine.  It's all connected.

5 miles easy pace, although quads still stiff and tired, with my RP in the park this morning.  We were talking about Thanksgiving plans today and I felt bad because she has never celebrated TG with her family in the entire time she has been married.  Her husband's team plays football on that day and always has.  How many of you miss big holidays because of the unusual nature of your work? I recall always flying out of town on Super Bowl Sunday, but that's about it.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

it gets light a lot later than back on the east coast.

I live on the western side of EST, and I noticed when I went to the east coast there was a big difference - it got dark much earlier.

MS - I think dg has some experience with that.  Hope it gets better soon.

4 miles for me on the TM this morning.

My cold is working its way from mild annoyance to acute misery....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Good morning. Not bad weather here, milder than yesterday, partly cloudy and breezy, low 40s. I ran about 7 miles on the rali trail, slightly overdressed, but it was pleasant. Very few others out there this morning. MY RA is flaring up a bit; hips sore and I have a bit of that "run over by a truck " feeling, but it will pass. I may try to get to yoga at lunch and aim for some good rest on this weekend.

MS, I have pretty much the same suggestion as Spareribs; I  too do those "press ups" almsot every day before running and often again in the evening. More often than not, what seems to be piriformas pain is actually lower back/disc issues. PT may help; when my back was really bad, I did a lot of PT-- he massaged lower back/discs, stretched out quads and hip flexors, and eventually I went to a doc and got a  series of cortisone shots.  that was a few years ago, and I have mostly been ok lately with diligent press up sessions and quad stretching. My mileage is also somewhat lower these days.

Jay, are you involved with the seacost half this coming weekend? If so, good luck!

Dave, not so sure about that curved Tm.  Good luck with the wedding...

Holly, I hope you feel better. Hard to stay well post marathon some times.  And yes, very dark here by 5...

And also, ladies, take your calcium!  My DH's cousin recently suffered a very severe hip fracture from a hiking fall; she is mid to late 60s but othewise healthy-- except apparently  for   osteoporosis. I don't know where exactly she was hiking, but she lives in San Francisco and most  of the hiking there is not hard. Must have landed the wrong way. She is progressing, but it was not a great development.

C-R

Nice treadmill Dave. Mine's flat. The one you run looks tougher.

Stumpy - Indy really. Man I wasn't traveling this week. Would have loved to run and shown you a couple of nice trails. You coming back in these parts? Let me know.

MS - Ribs has the advice.

Hope you feel better Holly

Speedwork Tramps - race coming up?

Ran inside at lunch and decided to change up my TM routine. Now during every commercial I run the incline up to 6 or 7% for the time. Hey its the only hill work in Indiana. Broke up the run and made it interesting.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

..MS///.........sadly, this sounds familiar..........have him x-ray the hip, I hope to hell it isn't arthritis,

if it is,

I have MORE information than you will ever want to know

(I started off thinking Mine was a Hamstring Tear)

=========

..but I digress......

28mprnb

with steps

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mustang sally

Bad faerie

<does cobra>

<baffles colleague>

<does it anyway>

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy - Indy really. Man I wasn't traveling this week. Would have loved to run and shown you a couple of nice trails. You coming back in these parts? Let me know.

Pretty sure I would slow you down a little lot.  But I'd love to get some trails to run.  I will be back in the area but never quite sure when.  we're doing 3 projects at 2 sites for Citizens gas that will be going in some form for at least another year.  As you well know, work has a tendency to get in the way of fun while traveling for work. Don't often stay over the weekends, but could be a possibility when things get going full tilt.   We normally stay near the airport--are you anywhere near?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I got up really early.  Apparently, stumpy77 exudes some sort of evil dream shifting pulse since I dreamed that I could not remember when my marathon race next month was going to start.  Ended up awake about 2:30am and could not fall back to sleep.  On the plus side I had planned to do 17 today starting no later than 5:30am so that turned out to be an easy start time to make!  So that was my morning, 17 miles starting in the pre-dawn.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Pretty sure I would slow you down a little lot.  But I'd love to get some trails to run.  I will be back in the area but never quite sure when.  we're doing 3 projects at 2 sites for Citizens gas that will be going in some form for at least another year.  As you well know, work has a tendency to get in the way of fun while traveling for work. Don't often stay over the weekends, but could be a possibility when things get going full tilt.   We normally stay near the airport--are you anywhere near?

I've worked with those cats at Citizens in my past utility life. Good folks.

I'm in Carmel which is the north burbs but traveling around here is pretty easy. I fly so often my car just automatically heads that way. So you guys are staying near the Sam Jones Expressway? If that's the case, there are some good places to run about 10 minutes from there. Just drop me a line in here or via PM and let's see what we can work out.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hope it gets better soon MS.  I was thinking sciatica too, from the severity of the pain.

Here is my question....my Garmin 610 is taking 35 minutes to download data wirelessly onto my computer.....it used to take about 2 minutes or less.  I am technology challenged, and not sure what to try here.  I sense it is a problem with the watch, not the computer.

Hope to run tonight, this time I will wear my headlamp.

Weather looks good for a visit to Eastern Washington this weekend.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."