Masters Running

Sunday, wrapping up Western States and June; 6/30/2019 (Read 45 times)

Joe618

Morning all!!   I'm with Leslie in cheering on the WS runners...amazing.   I work with a guy who has done WS twice and Badwater once.   Amazing stuff.

Good, good running on Saturday, all.   Here's what this esteemed group got done:

Leslie got us going by NOT going to the gym.   TwoCat regaled us later with a story about what "open 24 hours" really means..."not in a row"!

TomWhite did 40 minutes in the pool ahead of the darling granddaughter's arrival.

Henrun took a rest day...he needed it in order to watch the agonizingly high scoring Red Sox - Yankees game later.   Oy.  That was awful.

Coastwalker braved NYC traffic and rewarded himself with 7 miles in NJ.

Dave59 ran 3 while contemplating future race plans.

We learn RunnerKSA runs fast and walks slow.   She gets in 8.2.

Rochrunner got in 4 walking miles with fellow sweaty friends.

AnneB gets in 6.7 miles and may do the same today.

Deez4boyz mainly ran 10.2 miles in Maine on Main street.

Tramps polished off a sweaty 2.5 mile walk.

dnaff ran 5 miles, scouting out speedboats on the Mississippi.

mrrun walked a socially pleasing 5 miles with pals.

Paul rolled through 14.75 miles in the Oklahoma sunshine.

Holly did an early 14.25 miles, while trying to find her hair trimming scissors.

Falcon saw his way to run 10 miles

Mariposai ran 10 miles in spectacular scenery.

StarrRuns got in 4 miles, albeit choppy, still 4 miles.

Evanflien ran 6.6, fighting some knee pain, keeping the sore pinky in place.

SurlyBill is all over the place, ajudging races by fast runners, meeting a guy named BART and building a Miz.

MikeE ran 10, finally got out to dinner for his anniversary and learned it was a boy.   A long, funny article about two weeks ago in the WSJ about the lengths to which young couples are now going for these gender reveal parties.   Using semi exhaust smoke is a new one.   They also observed the big parties only happen for their first kid...way too swamped to do this for subsequent offspring.

TwoCat eases his hamstring gently into action for a kind 3 miles.   Good the hammy held up.

Western States Update...mens winner went 14:09, women's winner 17:23.   Astounding.   The 24 hour beltbuckles have all been distributed...another 5.5 hours as I write this remains for those hoping to get a bronze buckle.   So. Amazing.

OK, that's Saturday's work...rock your Sunday all!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

I got in a pleasant 6.1 miles this morning.   Feel as if I'm gradually adapting to the H&H.

I checked on the nest for the mama box turtle I saw yesterday.   She was gone and did a very good job concealing her nest.   I guess the little turtles are now on their own??   I'm not a turtle-ologist but that could be.

See ya!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Joe--Thanks for your recap. (Saw two box turtles crossing the road today.)

Ended up doing a 4-mile run/walk in what felt like stifling humidity. I'm clearly not acclimated.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I woke up earlier than I would have liked, but I made the best of it. I remembered that the Space Station was passing overhead around 5:15, so I double checked the time and then went outside to watch. It was a great, directly overhead pass in clear skies. 

I took my time getting ready for a run. Used the Stick to roll out my calves and the foam roller on various spots on my legs & hips. By then it was light outside so I ran 3 along the local streets. Sky was a beautiful color and a little sliver of a moon was shining on the edge of the color.

I looked at half marathons in late October,  early November and nothing jumped out at me as someplace I want to go. For now then, the plan is to try the Marshall half again. Tried it twice.  Had my slowest half ever and a DNF. Maybe I'll get it right this time.

bioguy

Nice recap.

Box turtles have dramatically declined in population in recent years; glad you are spotting some.

Took a rest day  yesterday. My son the CFP came over and ran our finances again. DW has had her hours cut at the hospital. Rural hospitals everywhere are limiting service or closing altogether and ours is in that category. Our son says we will be fine in retirement, but I'm thinking of working till 2025 at least.

6.1 slow ones today. I'm giving Maffetone low heart rate training a go for the summer. I'm about 33 miles behind the pace bunny but plan to be ahead by August 1.

Tailwinds!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start&recap, Joe. Nice run this morning, and good job of keeping an eye on the turtles.

Sorry about the H&H, Tramps. Always tough to get used to that stuff.

Good prep work, and a good run, Dave.

Sorry about DW's loss of hours, Bioguy. Good run - good luck with the Maffetone program.

Interesting weather for the mini family reunion yesterday: unrelenting heat with temps in the 90s, followed by a brief bout of wind gusts, followed by a 15-minute hail storm, followed by rain, followed by clearing skies and much more comfortable temps. The hosts had big enough awnings over the tables in their yard, so a bunch of us just stayed under there through the storms. 8 of DW's 12 siblings were at the reunion, plus assorted spouses, kids, aunts, and uncles. We left at close to 11 last night, and weren't the last to go.

So I slept a little late this morning, but was out by 6 for 7.7 RW miles in 70° temps, which was enough to get me a bit damp by the time I got back to our hotel. Once again, I avoided sidewalks to the extent possible to also avoid a Rule 2 violation.

Now we have to pack the car and go play in more traffic on our way back to NH. Fingers crossed that it's not half as bad as on the way down.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

No box turtles for me today, but I did see a big doe.  She came out of the woods and looked at me, startled, then ran along the path for a bit before diving back into the trees.  One thing I really like about Ohio is the density of the woods.  The broad-leaf trees make it seem almost like you are entering darkness when you step into the woods.  I just wish more of the running path was in the woods, instead of up on the levy in the sun.

8.1 miles for me today, temps 73 at the start and 83 at the finish.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

A coyote in the front yard watched me start my run this morning, then loped off in the other direction.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my run to show in Garmin Express. So, it's not showing up in RA log yet. I'll give it some time to sort out before troubleshooting. But it was an easy 5.9 mile run this morning.

Paul

Dave59

A coyote in the front yard watched me start my run this morning, then loped off in the other direction.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my run to show in Garmin Express. So, it's not showing up in RA log yet. I'll give it some time to sort out before troubleshooting. But it was an easy 5.9 mile run this morning.

Paul

My run this morning shows up in Garmin Connect but not in RA or Strava. I added it manually here.

Sad about the box turtle population decline. I wish we could trade deer for turtles.

It appears my laptop has died. Sad, but it may still be under warranty. I will find out Tuesday when I bring it to IT.

As for today, I did an hour on the elliptical. DW and I are leaving in about an hour for a wedding in Newport RI this evening. I am packed up. She is not. What do women spend so much time on when packing?  Right now it is pouring outside. I hope the weather is better for this evening's ceremony and party.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...howdy......

=============

...92-degrees, no wind....

Claire and I

........got in 30-min RC at soccerfields.....

I called the halt

to

Avoid ''The Wrath of Pickles''

then

got our Traditional Yoo-Hoo's to Celebrate

=========

and Claire wants to tell you-

hope you all are having a blessed sunday

p.s is that your nose or are you eating a banana?

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I (meaning Ken) had to manually upload my run to Strava and RA from the file on Garmin Connect.  It never transferred otherwise, although a "fake" run (5 seconds) I created did show up.  I guess it was some kind of glitch.     First world problems....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

3.1 mile hike on the cooper nature preserve trails.  A friend wanted to do it and I tried to talk her out of it due to heat/ticks/overall summer yuckiness.  But...off we went...oh my the cobwebs...ticks...and laughter.  Picked a few ticks off of me but not to many.  Them cobwebs though...we have some busy spiders here!    Shoulder is doing great.  No pain (unless I move it to much) and no pain meds!

When I uploaded my hike to garmin this morning it took a while for strava to get it.  but it eventually did.

Trails Rock!

dnaff

Avoid ''The Wrath of Pickles''

Outside has become a humid mosquito factory!  Heat index over 100 too.  I've been out for a too short walk with the dog and I have a load of sheets on the line.  Other than that, the most sensible course is to spend the rest of the day inside.  Good Sunday all!!

..dnaff///......a Garlic Cap at breakfast will keep off 'skeeters til you bathe

it becomes

a sulfite on the skin which is toxic to mosquitoes

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....