Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.8.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I had another fun meeting last night: I sat for 3 1/2 hours, waiting for my 15-minute conversation with the Budget Committee. One of the other people there knew I'd be quick, and asked if I could go earlier and get out of there, but the Chairwoman refused to budge from her agenda. She doesn't like me, and she does things like that out of spite when she doesn't like someone. So I didn't get to bed till close to 11. I had a little trouble getting to sleep because I was still wired from the meeting. I woke, as usual, at 4 this morning, but decided, after feeding the cat, to get a scootch more sleep rather than go out for a workout. I really wanted the workout, but I needed the sleep more. Now I have to get out of here for my 9am meeting, so

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

45F

drizzle

4.44 miles, started with Steve, Jane, and Ralph but Ralph and I turned into Skipwith near the 2 miles mark.  Steve and Jane went in to swim. The r.s. and I finished our run and then went in for stretch and core. (And shower and then coffee)

I have been thinking about our collective sleep issues.  Here are some thoughts:

1. Aging changes sleep patterns.

2. Decreasing caffeine intake (daily intake) may help with sleep regulation.

3. Screen time. Turn off screens at least an hour before going to bed and DO NOT look at any screens during the night.  Our brains have a trigger in them and even briefly looking at a screen during "sleeping hours" tricks our brains into thinking it is day time. And thus, we have trouble getting to or back to sleep. "Screens" include television screens, computer screens , laptop screens, tablet screens, and cell phone screens. It has something to do with the lighting.

4. Observe your food/drink intake in the two hours before you go to bed. Alcohol might help you fall asleep quicker but is not good for continuing sleep.

5. Breathing. Conscious efforts to breath slowly and deeply (diaphragmatic breathing) help oxygenate tissues including brain tissue. Also, simply focusing on breathing as the only task at hand, can help one fall asleep.

What do you think about that?

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

...agreed...........Our Minds are too busy,especially at the end of the day,

and any good distraction technique can re-focus it,

essentially

telling it to ''knock it off and let me sleep''

Good Point Rose

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Being retired and tired of the cold, we flew away to South Beach, Miami for a few days.  70F & humid and wonderful!

As to sleep, normally I have no problems falling asleep even after caffeine.  When I can't fall asleep or stay asleep, it's because of stress - when that goes away, then my sleeping habits return.  Also, being away, we tend to sleep better because you can't do anything about the ISSUES.

putting your troubles (what's keeping you awake) in a pail at the end of the bed to be dealt with in the morning is one I got from yoga and I like the imagery

Slo

Jay, I like your tenacity.

6.5 soggy miles. Light mist, 34 degrees, foggy.

I got on Netflix last night...I'm intrigued with all the print "Making a Murderer" has been getting. I almost started it but I've got 30 episodes of House of Cards left. I'm only good for one show at a time.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya from north of marj and henrun!

again training today, so quick run by during break--ran with Speedsters last night, about 7 so 6.5 easy this am, in the 60s and light mist.  Really lovely.

No racing this weekend!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

putting your troubles (what's keeping you awake) in a pail at the end of the bed to be dealt with in the morning is one I got from yoga and I like the imagery

Marj, great photo of Henry! So, you took your talents to South Beach? Enjoy!

As to keeping my troubles in a pail at the end of the bed?  Instantly, the image that popped into my mind is this: my big feet kick that pail off the foot of the bed, I awaken, terrified and dreading cleaning up the mess.

But that's just me. And my twisted imagination.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

...jay///.....could you post me something

on that Hip-Swivel

you're talking about??

I hit 68-steps per minute (close to my Slow Jogging Time) but

am still not sure I'm doing it right

also, is that ''Arm Swing Thing'' actually necessary??

I go with a low-arm carry

and

roll my shoulders opposite the hips for what I THINK is the ''Swivel''

.....I'm not racing competively and at this point don't wanna do it unless the RaceWalkingPolice would come get me

==========

,,,but I digress.......

..........50s here, but dropping, also drizzling on and off

60-min HH walk

(possible racewalk, dunno til jay tells me)

..................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

also, it that ''Arm Swing Thing'' actually necessary?? 

I don't know why, but this made me 

Rosie - You are spot on with your sleep list, especially the screen thing.  It never ceases to amaze me when I see an FB post from someone from the previous night who was posting on FB because they couldn't sleep.

Good luck, Mike!  Have fun!!!

Raise your hand if you'd like be join Marj and Henry in Florida ~~

I should've gotten up this a.m. and done my core/ST, but I had two kitties snuggled up against me and I was warm and cozy.  I'll probably do some when I get home this evening.

Enjoy your Friday ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

I ran 3.67 this morning. Just beat the rain by a few seconds. Good thing I didn't tack on an extra loop around the lake as I had originally planned.

Had an eye exam today and the prescription for my glasses is significantly different than what I have now. Apparently stigmatisms can change. Who knew? I have been having headaches and been really worn out at work and was blaming it all on stress. Maybe some of it is from my glasses. I will see how that goes in a week or so when I get them. I also got a special coating for computer users that blocks the bad "blue light". That is supposed to relieve eye strain.

I have also been having sinus pressure headaches. Last time I had that (a couple years ago) the doctor said my sinuses were swollen and prescribed some spray. That cleared things up in a week. I looked back in my medical records for what that spray was and then I also found out it was recently made available over the counter, so I bought some of that yesterday.

So a week of nasal spray followed by better glasses and who knows, maybe I will be less of an jerk at work (because I am not constantly irritated.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

One thing nice about being across the date line is being able to sleep any time I want and it`s the right time.  Somehow, fortunately, it never happeneed even once during all the interminable meetings that finally came to a finish yesterday (friday).  May get to celebrate with mikemp at Sunday`s annual New Year`s Marathon and Awards Party of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful \running Club in Hiratsuka south of Tokyo.

I guess all the midnight meetings and prepartions (over there time and over here too) made me miss wildchild`s monthly miles which I otherwise use as my personal running log to say nothing of a happy tanjoubi to the bijin Intrepid goddess queen  .

ps dave - with Fuch`s Distrophy. my eyes have been getting better-and-better to see distances and with no reading glasses necessary even for the smallest print for the last ten years.  Even passed my driver license eye exam in May without glasses for the first time in my life. However,  it`s going south now so Fuch:s operation and cataract cleaning are in order for 2016.  we`ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like you are in Meeting Hell...

Rose - I am sad that my before-bed Kindle time is included on that list.  And maybe put your troubles in a pail in the laundry room...

Marj - I am envious!

Mariposai- in case you didn't see my post at the end of yesterday's thread, I am SO IMPRESSED with your work on the huge budget project.  You rock, sistah!

Dave - my brother has glasses that he had made for his computer use - they are supposed to focus best about the distance of the computer monitor from your face.  They also have a bifocal for close-up viewing.

I usually run outside on Fridays, but this mornings freezing rain kept me in.

7 miles on the TM watching Dreamcatcher, followed by a few weights exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hey Holly,

If you have no trouble sleeping, don't worry about your tablet! If ain't broke...

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

moebo

4.17 miles this morning for me, 9:35 average pace. I was awfully glad to see that pace, because for the past few runs I have been slower than ever. I've decided to blame it on headwinds and the the squats and dead lifts that I did on Tuesday.

Marj, your pail of troubles reminded me of something I did when my kids were little. Both of them were anxious at bedtime, so I used to rub my hand all over their heads and say I was grabbing their nightmares and scary thoughts  so I could throw them away for good. Then I would open the window and pretend to toss them into the night. It sounds dumb but it worked well for a long time.

I want to retire and go to Florida when I get sick of the cold, too! Great photo of Henrun.

spacityrunner

5.1 miles on west mountain..A bit over 14 m/m.  It felt good to be running in a skirt and short sleeve shirt...yep it was 60f.  Got some new trail shoes today and they work really really good on my rocky rooty trails.  Yeah!  My feet are thanking me 

We are supposed to get a dusting of snow tomorrow night.  Sigh....

Trails Rock!