Saturdaily, 6.9.18 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 miles before DH left)
    Dave59 (3 pre-work miles)
    Sees-the-Ground (3 miles at 11:00 pace)
    Fatozzig (30 morning min of core/ST)
    Tomwhite (70 min of HH with 3 lb trail boots & 2 lb hand weights in 94° with a breeze)
    Wildchild (12.4 local trail miles with waterfall spray)
    Mike (2.8 pre-race miles)
    Surly Bill (6 miles at 8:24 pace, with the first 5K in 24)

Happy belated birthday, STG! I hope you’re still celebrating.

Thanks for the Half info, Dave.

Nice graduation photo, Tammy. You all look great. Good luck to David.

Congrats to Tramps and to all the other Caps fans! What a ride, eh?

Good luck, MIke!

Mariposai, what Tomwhite said about running (ever notice when you HAVE to get out in this you don't like it and when you WANT to get out in this it's Wonderful??) applies to gardening too. Take care of that barking knee.

On my way to the office yesterday, I saw a very cute little fox cub trotting down the other side of the road. A woman going that way stopped by the fox, but I have no idea what she was going to do with/about it, and didn't stick around to find out.

OK - gotta head out for this morning's race. It's going to be in the 70s and sunny. Since I'm still used to being in the 50s before sunrise, I expect I'll be doing some wilting this morning. Maybe I should just go out slower - can I do that? Can I do a 10K with negative splits? Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens. But we all know that things change as soon as that starting horn blows...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Good luck to the racers.

2 faster than usual miles in the cool of the early morning. Encountered a friend out walking his dog and encountered Marj at the one mile mark. What a wonderful way to start the day..

Tramps

Meniscus  tear sucks, but not running at all can be worse.

+++++1  

Jay--glad you enjoyed the concert. I checked and they're playing here on Wednesday night.  I was very tempted but won't be able to swing it. I've been listening to their stuff on Spotify ever since you mentioned it though.

Tet--you have a long hilarious list of things that you're not supposed to do again...mostly losing small creatures. 

Holly--that newspaper stuff is interesting. So many local papers are cutting back, going online only, or shutting down.  Glad to hear some folks are still interested.

Dave--glad to hear you got a project that you're enjoying.  Those don't seem to come along often.

Tammy's pulling all-nighters!   Congrats.

Mike--I don't know anyone who's afraid of flying that does more flying than you do. Hope it all went well today.

All that rain we got for over a week stirred up debris that closed up a drain pipe on my road, creating some minor flooding. But I think today's the last day I'll have to tip-toe through the water on that stretch; it's finally drying out. They'll need a backhoe to clear it all out, though.

Much warmer today with some humidity.  I think the windows may get closed up and the AC turned on later. 5 miles.

ETA: Quiet night in Vegas after Ovi and the Caps won the Cup....NOT!

And if you have any doubt that winning a sports championship can galvanize a community, just scroll down the #ALLCAPS thread. Crazy.

Be safe. Be kind.

...tramps//..........Congratulations, glad it's finally over,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,,I mean Crowned With Victory........

=========

...40-min PoolRun with letters

..............Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

Good luck to the racers.

Usual Saturday morning group run for me. Start time pushed back to 5.00am for the summer, not that it makes much difference. Ran the first 8 miles with the president of the local running club, so learned quite a lot about the trials and tribulations of putting on races locally.

Finished up with 14.3 miles, by the end it was 80F and sunny.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tough weather here this morning- 74 and humid when I started.  Turns out sitting out in the heat for 4 hours last night at the Vanderbilt baseball game wasn't the ideal preparation for what is now a "long" run for me.  And- lost the game on a walk off home run in the last inning. My daughter and I were on our way out by then- it was just too late.  Need a win tonight or there's no Omaha world series possibility for Vandy.

7.1 really tough miles on the path this morning.  Had to start with some walking breaks the last 2 miles, but should have started that sooner.  Heart rate was too high and it was just difficult.  Got it done, though.  Nothing better than a large Sonic iced tea after a hot run.

Have a good weekend,y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I haven't been feeling all that great the last few days, but I was up this morning with some time to kill before meeting some guys for coffee and a book study, so I got in a little 2.55 run around the park.  They were setting up for a race as I was leaving.  It was called the Tower Hill Challenge.  Looks like they are going to start in the valley and take a combination of roads and dirt trails up to the top of the ridge where large radio and/or cell towers exist.  Glad I'm not doing that run!

Happy racing! But you East AND West coasters are probably already done! (almost 10:00 here now)

I done did it again! The faster paced bit on yesterdays run caused me to wake up in the middle of the night with a very tender to the touch achilles! I'll plan on two days off instead of one; maybe more and just start mt biking for a week. My fastest pace was only 7:00, it's really frustrating to be held back by injury and not fitness.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.

Guess I had the same temperature differential problem as a few others.  Early morning runs have mostly been in the 50's.  It was 71 when I finished my 3.1 lake loop miles.  At least they've finally turned on the bubblers so I can get a drink half way through.  Guessing the rack of ribs for dinner last night did not help.  

DD lost her dog to rapid onset heart failure on Thursday.  She was an older dog that DD had adopted while living back on the East coast about four years ago.  She was a beagle/daucshound mix and despite best efforts, always a bit chubby.  Well, she took a different tack on grieving as she called last night to say that she had adopted a 7 month old miniature pinscher with 3 legs.  Its new name is Cable.  If you're a Marvel universe fan, you may know the connection (I had to ask).  So we'll be sorry to miss seeing Miss Harper when we go out at the end of the week for DD's graduation, but happy to see a brand new grand dog.

DW is off to a high school reunion in VT this weekend.  Have to work through my honey do list, as well as getting stuff ready for the CA trip on Thursday.  Just in case that getting ready won't be complicated enough, I have to go to CT for the day on Wednesday, and DW is putting together all the stuff that she does for the Relay For Life happening while we're gone.  First time we've missed it in almost 20 years.

Surly--to quote a famous poster "Don't do dat"

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Surly-after a “faster” run my Achilles was really bad-sharp Pain. Now after 4 weeks of PT and NO RUNNING the pain is gone and I’m back to running.

Marathon Maniac #957

DD lost her dog to rapid onset heart failure on Thursday.  She was an older dog that DD had adopted while living back on the East coast about four years ago.  She was a beagle/daucshound mix and despite best efforts, always a bit chubby.  Well, she took a different tack on grieving as she called last night to say that she had adopted a 7 month old miniature pinscher with 3 legs. 

Your DD sounds very cool...

The coupon books that DD is "selling with a free 13-week subscription" has some great coupons.  She got an extra book for us and I can see that it would easily pay for itself with 2-4 coupons.  She continues to make boatloads of money - I think $720 in her first 5 days.  I filled out her W-2 form and chose "single" as her filing status.  Seeing the chunk that comes out for taxes will be an eye-opener for her, but given how much she is making so far, she may actually owe taxes this year.  And if she doesn't, it will be a nice windfall next February.

I keep saying I need to get up earlier for LR days, but didn't manage it yet again, so it was a bit hot again, but got it done.

14.5 miles today

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Your DD sounds very cool...

We like to think so.  Coolness by association is about as close as two old folks can get.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey gang, some nice racing going on!  Hope MikeE is having a good race, too!

I ran the Colorado Masters 5 mile trail race this morning, and won my AG out of 4.  Had fun with my friends - a  nice morning.  This afternoon DD and DSIL are coming up, to escape the heat in town.  Their place doesn't have AC and its in the 90s down there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, best laid plans WILL get overcome by events.  31 years in the military and had two, new to me, events take place yesterday.  Can't explain what they were--one relates to why I'm going to Montgomery rather than Missouri and the other has HIPPA ramifications.  Anyway, a 5 mile run before work--then I stayed all day and drove back to NC.  Got in this morning at 1:30 AM.  Managed to get up in time to join the local bike group.  Got there a bit late, so prepped my bike and we took off.  15 miles in I asked how far we were going.  52 miles.  Oh.  Have not ridden since the "Tour de Pickle" in late April.  But we were riding to a "local" dairy farm/ice creamery.  So I was in.  Fun ride, just under 53 miles.  Had double dark chocolate and watermelon sorbet.  Actually not too bad.  2 mile, (very) easy run on the newly resurfaced 2 mile loop at the base.  Now starting my packing.

Interesting aside, I would have bet you that a person could only hold one command at a time.  Turns out that not actually true.  For the last month I've been on "G-Series" orders for both my current unit and the one I'm heading towards.  Actually sort of cool.

Tammy, congratulations to DS!

Have a great day everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hey, guess what!  A race run in the Blue Ridge Mountans has hills! Lots and lots of hills!  I managed 3:24:05 which was good enough to win my age group.  This will be my last marathon in my 50’s.

I’m sitting at the airport...I’d rather be back chugging up that last hill they threw in in the 26th mile...jerks!

Okay—that’s it.  See ya!