Masters Running

Monday October 27 Runs and Not-So-Runs (Read 522 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today, light x-training instead: front raises, bench dips, seated bent over raises, push-ups, weighted squats, dead lifts, glute squeezes, and assorted crunches. My in-laws are scheduled to arrive from Wyoming today for a visit. My FIL, an avid hunter and fisherman, is going to take DS hunting and fishing this week, starting with clay pigeons tomorrow. I know DS will have fun shooting, but I’m not sure how he’ll feel if he actually kills something….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

A week of taper... 2 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 41F

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Holly and Steve...and everyone else. Good luck with the in-laws Holly Smile. Sounds like your DS will have a good time hunting and fishing. Enjoy your taper Steve...sounds like you may have a good Marathon after all...kewl Hope Mary is doing well... Did you tie one on Friday night Big grin Well, I hate to say this....but I am injured. You all know I sprained my ankle last Weds night in a pot hole doing speed work. Since the ankle pain went away, I am now left with what feels like a bad tear or stretch on my left arch and heel area (feels like what PF would feel like, and might be). When I got out of bed yesterday morning I could put NO weight on my foot what so ever. I went ahead and rode my bike on my trainer for 1.5 hours to get my workout in. OK, no freaking out guys, as I am not freaking out myself. I will probably not run again till my race and hope for the best...and I will not miss my race because I have worked WAAAY to hard to pass up this opportunity (Pluse I get to meet a tall, blonde, and single gal Smile, read Timbo's Craig list thread for the details). I really imagine with rest and a lot of ice, by Weds I will be feeling a lot better, then by Sat will be pain free...but imagine I am in for a painful Marathon, at least at some point....but hopefully at goal MP. Thanks for ALL your support and help everyone...you all rock Smile. Just as Ribs said to me last night, this may not be such a bad thing as I have a tendency to over do things any way, and I will not lose any fitness what so ever and will be better recovered. OK guys, only positive thoughts and remarks would be greatly appreciated, OK. http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/47304?from=36hr_topnav_driving This Sat looks good Smile Have a great day everyone... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning Holly, Perch and Tim. No run for me this morning either - cross trained on the eliptical at the Y for 45 minutes with leg and ab work after that. Downright cold here this morning - 38F with a nasty wind out of the north. It definitely feels like winter is on the way. Holly - good luck with your in-laws this week. Hope everything goes smoothly. I'll be your DS is anxious to get out with grandpa to do a little hunting. Let us know if he does get something. Tim - what happened? I go out of town for the weekend and you sprain your ankle?!! Sad You won't lose your conditioning, so why not do what the training expert (that'd be Spareribs) suggests and take it easy until the race. I hope your recovery is fast - you've worked SO hard for this marathon. Perch - how goes taper madness for you? Nice short run with Tory. Heard from DS#2 last night. He sounds good and is running 8 minute miles after 4 weeks of boot camp and having never run before. Can't wait 'till he gets out on leave so he can run with his mother! Have a great Monday, everyone.

Renee the dog

Tim, LOTS of positive thoughts your way, plus {{{Tim}}}. Ice is a miracle drug, you know! I'm thinking you may totally fix yourself up with the rest and lots of that ice. I got 6 miles in with Renee this morning. We ran in the pre-dawn along the water's edge -- a little tricky as it was dark, I forgot her collar with lights, and well, it was dark. Big grin Should have done 7, but after we went up to the boards and ran back and forth, the guy who's dog bit Renee last year had his 3 dogs on the beach. Decided not to tempt fate. We were 9/100 of a mile from home, 9/100 of a mile from 6 miles, and my feet were killing me. So we turned for home. I figure after lunch, I can get the kids down to the sand and I can run out that last mile with them. I do like my trail shoes, but running off the sand with them is a bit of a pain in the foot.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

OK guys, only positive thoughts and remarks would be greatly appreciated, OK.
              OK Tim - Nothing but POSITIVE thoughts coming your way! Wink 1 - You will rest this week 2 - You will recover nicely 3 - You will miantain your fitness 4 - Your foot will feel fine on Sunday 5 - You will run one hell of a Marathon!! Wishing you the best my friend. Big grin

The Jogger

Morning Gang Tim good vibes being sent over , NOW!!!!!! Holly nice workout anyway, hope you have fun with the inlaws..... Bet Tory enjoyed that Steve, Jeanne your DS is fast already he will be a great runner. Rennee must look great in that collar nono, nice run too. Me and the wood boy went out for a hilly 10 on the trail. 10m 01:50:55 @ 11:06 pace AHR 147 68% Good Runs All & off to work for me Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tim - I know you are going to do great this weekend! Just take it easy, you've got all the training in that you need. {{{{Hugs}}}} to you!!
                  Hope Mary is doing well... Did you tie one on Friday night Big grin
                  I'm doing okay - thanks for asking. Not running is really getting to me, especially because I feel healthy - it is not like I'm sick and don't feel like getting out there. Nope - didn't tie one on either. Just didn't even sound good. Undecided Today I go get the stitches out which I'm not looking forward to either. Roy - you are getting a lot of mile in - are you training for something?? Give Woody a big hug from me!! Holly - your son is going to have fun with Grandpa!! Enjoy taper time Steve - give Tory a hug for me too! I'm so happy your son is doing so well Jlynne - I can imagine how excited you are to see him again. Nice run with Renee this morning Nono ...... I don't think I'll tell Brinkley about all the dogs out for a run this morning .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Jeanne—I was running along the Potomac for a bit yesterday, too! Except I was about 40 miles south of you. ;o) BTW, there’s another marathon in DC in the Spring (National Marathon); less crowded than the Marine Corps and more of a locals event but similar nice views. It’s on my list to do someday. Steve—did I miss the news that the marathon is back on for certain? Great news. Tim—sorry about the frustrating injury but you’ll be rocking come this weekend. Maine’s got all the key points there for you to review Roy—hilly 10 on a Monday morning? Impresive Mary—hang in there; it’ll get better. Thanks for the nice comments on my run yesterday. It’s got me thinking that, with the right weather, I may have a 3:35 in me for Richmond. We’ll see. Easy 3.25 miles @ 8:54, just to loosen up the legs. Beautiful morning will cool temps, sunshine, and bright foliage.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Tim...sorry to hear about your injury...hope you're OK for your race! No running for me today. I was warned that my Quads would be hurting the day after the Ridge to Bridge Marathon but didn't heed the warnings since they actuallly felt fine after the race but, they were screaming yesterday....ouch! They are starting to feel a little better today. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the nice comments on my run yesterday. It’s got me thinking that, with the right weather, I may have a 3:35 in me for Richmond. We’ll see.
                        Guess I missed that Tramps....all I can say is WOW....Impressive run. 3:35 should not be a probem if you have a good race and conditions Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DickyG

Did anyone notice that the Saints-Chargers game yesterday was played in London? Somebody needs to explain to me the financial advantage of doing this..if I'm a team owner and I have to sacrifice a home game to ship my players overseas, I don't think I'd be too happy about it. And does pro football actually need any additional exposure? It's the top rated professional sports draw as far as TV ratings go (NASCAR is #2). Twocat: Noooooo! Not again! Up until now, your training & races have been so focused. I sincerely hope you haven't come down with the creeping crud that's going around in our area...folks are laid up for a week. And I certainly hope this doesn't weaken you for NYC...I know you've been training hard. Tramps: Awesome 22-miler yesterday, dude. You're gonna kill 'em at Richmond. Regarding the I-Pod earbuds: I have the same problem..I must have weird ears. At any rate, I quit running with one...not only the earbuds thing, but my breathing gets so ragged that it drowns out the music. Evryday: Yeah...I've run that Riverside route..only did it once or twice...strange neighborhood. Very excellent you saw Jackson & McCann..doesn't get much better. Deb: Was gonna say how sorry I am at your aunt's passing..but she lived 97 wonderful years and was obviously a fabulous lady. When you accomplish that, there's nothing to be sorry about. Jeanne: The Marine Corps Marathon...yeah...some of us ran in the very first one back in '76...for a marathon, it's an easy course. But it's an exceptional event...just for the runners...no prize money (I don't think). I ran it for a while when they used to run in November but later on it went to October and interfered with our local race so I haven't run it in a while. Craneium: Wow! 39 minutes! You haven't run much in months...where'd that come from? Peter:
                          4 miles of walking no watch or Garmin...taking it easy today.
                          Gee, I wonder why? Timbo: Not you too! I'm thinking that your brutal past training will pull you through. I'll run later today..lots of work this morning...then have to go to the Greensboro airport to pick up Queen Pam who has been gone for a couple weeks. Will be breaking out some new Adidas Adistar-CS shoes so I'll probably go easy and make sure they don't hurt my feet. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim!!! All I can add to what Mainerunnah said is Ice, Ice, and More Ice. Like Nono says, it can be a miracle drug. I'm not even sure if you should try to attempt stretching it at this point, but if you do, be EXTREMELY GENTLE when you do so. I'm sending a couple of healing requests to the Man Upstairs for you. {{{{Tim's foot}}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim!!! All I can add to what Mainerunnah said is Ice, Ice, and More Ice. Like Nono says, it can be a miracle drug. I'm not even sure if you should try to attempt stretching it at this point, but if you do, be EXTREMELY GENTLE when you do so. I'm sending a couple of healing requests to the Man Upstairs for you. {{{{Tim's foot}}}}
                              Holly, good point about stretching. I personally think stretching my pain or injury is a bad idea, so I am going to leave my foot completely alone, except for ice. To be on the safe side, I don't think I will ride my bike or anything this week either. Thanks, Tim

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim... WHEN you start running the marathon your body will remember the stride by mile 5 or 6. If it feels wierd at first, don't worry your body will remember! You WILL recover nicely.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova