Masters Running

Jan. 9 Master Runs - and happy Gator Nation Celebrations! (Read 532 times)

No run for me today as I'm barely able to keep the eyelids open. That was a tense, exciting, nerve-wracking game last night that was nip and tuck till that last TD. Sam Bradford is the real deal, as are Tebow and Harvin. Both Teams played well and either could have won. As normal, it generally comes down to a couple of big plays, and last night UF made 'em. Now my DW - the world's biggest Gator Mom - can breath again till about next August. Bill PS: Really, really looking forward to meeting the Ice Goddess. I'm really wishing I had signed up for the Half ... My legs are wanting to run.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Say hi to Erika for all of us. 3.1 miles, 29:32, 9:24/mi, AHR 131 Oops, my BFM is about to start. (Enke - read the end of yesterday's thread for an explanation Smile )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

That was a tense, exciting, nerve-wracking game last night that was nip and tuck till that last TD. Sam Bradford is the real deal, as are Tebow and Harvin. Both Teams played well and either could have won. As normal, it generally comes down to a couple of big plays, and last night UF made 'em. Now my DW - the world's biggest Gator Mom - can breath again till about next August. Bill
        Congratulations to the Gators.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Tramps

Chilly 27F; 5.1 miles @ 8:21. Enke & Erika: I'm not convinced it was entirely my fault since, you gotta admit, it’s not a huge leap between “Enke” and “Erika”! Still, sorry again. I don’t confuse you as people, my aging brain just slips on the name for some reason. As my mother got older she often called us kids by the wrong name, switching one for the other. One time she slipped, realized it, and said something like, “Well, it doesn’t matter which name I use; I love you all equally.” Same applies here. Smile Have a good weekend! Have a great race huskydon, SueT, arlahile, and Enke Erika! Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

No run for me today as I'm barely able to keep the eyelids open. That was a tense, exciting, nerve-wracking game last night that was nip and tuck till that last TD. Sam Bradford is the real deal, as are Tebow and Harvin. Both Teams played well and either could have won. As normal, it generally comes down to a couple of big plays, and last night UF made 'em. Now my DW - the world's biggest Gator Mom - can breath again till about next August. Bill PS: Really, really looking forward to meeting the Ice Goddess. I'm really wishing I had signed up for the Half ... My legs are wanting to run.
            Bill: that really was a great game, those first half defensive stops in the red zone made all the difference in the world and the Tebow and Harvin well you can't say enough about them. Very good game indeed, it will be interesting to see what those two QB's do as far as the "Pro Game" is concerned, I would love to see them both play another year of college ball. Congrats to Gator Nation!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Bill, and everyone else to follow. Congrats Bill on your Gators win, was a good game to watch. I don't think I have told you guys yet that I now have a boot to wear on my left foot for my "obviously" very serious bout of AT. This main boot is a sturdy stability boot that won't let my foot move very much and has wedges in the heel that can be removed when I am pain free. Then I also have two air cast boots that I will need to wear on both feet when I actually do get back to running. I am actually wearing one of the air cast boots on my "non" affected foot to keep my leg length the same. Plus, believe it or not, I am feeling AT pain in my other foot now Confused which I find very hard to understand with my extended lay off. What has been very frustrating with this whole process is, how off and on my pain is. I talk to Holly quite a bit and She must think I am crazy. Because I tell her something like hey "I have been pain free for days now" then the next day I would tell her the pain is back just like it was before (and have done this time and time again??? And I am not doing anything to aggravate my foot when the pain does return??? But will say now with the boots, my foot feels better than it has during this whole ordeal. But still know I have probably at least a month or more to go before I can run again. Well, that is the low down for now, if anyone is curious. Nice wave run Bob, time went by quickly huh? I really looked forward to these when I ran them, and they were very beneficial. BTW, our paces on the wave runs are almost identical. Speaking of pictures of running with both feet off the ground. I am very fortunate to have such I picture as my profile picture here at RA. And I will tell you that is the only picture I have ever seen, of me running with both feet off the ground. Well, better get some work done. Happy TGIF....Have a good day Friends!! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, A funny thing happened this morning on my run. After about 30 minutes into the run, my headlamp died then about 10 minutes later my MP3 player also stopped working. It was only 25F out... not really that cold. Since I recently started using these things, I'm wondering if the cold affects these devices? Anyway, after I got back home and took a shower they both started working again... Confused 11.02 miles of hills @ 9:07 pace this morning. I felt very "in-sync" today...like everything was working perfectly...nice to have days like that. After a hot shower to warm up I almost felt like I could go out for another run. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Hill Runner

Tim, I have had a chronic problem with my left AT for the past few years. It is never 100% and probably never will be. I have learned to live with it. Sometimes it doesn't bother me very much and sometimes I just have to NOT run when it acts up...just the way it is. Even when I stopped running for 2 or 3 weeks last February after prostate surgery, it did absolutely nothing to help it.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Nice wave run Bob, time went by quickly huh? I really looked forward to these when I ran them, and they were very beneficial. BTW, our paces on the wave runs are almost identical. Speaking of pictures of running with both feet off the ground. I am very fortunate to have such I picture as my profile picture here at RA. And I will tell you that is the only picture I have ever seen, of me running with both feet off the ground.
                    Thanks Tim, I think I've mentioned a few times how many of our training runs (back when you were training for your marathon) were fairly identical. Hopefully you'll be back at it again real soon. I've noticed some of the talk about running photos of both feet off the ground and it seems that most of the races I run where there are photos taken I seem to almost always have at least one with both feet off the ground. I've saved at least a half dozen or so...maybe later I'll post a link to some of them. It is kind of cool and I had never given much thought to it before now. Big grin
                      Ribs – In answer to your question on yesterdays wave run, yes I was absolutely amazed not only at how quickly the time seemed to pass once the workout started (after the first two SLOW miles, I have to admit that was mentally tough for me). And if I hadn’t been pressed for time I would have done another HM mile with another easy mile before that final SLOW mile to finish it off. I will stick to this pace at least for the next couple of months and then reassess things, probably after Boston. By then I will have completed a few races of different distances and will be able to see just where I am as the good weather approaches and brings more 5 and 10K’s into the mix. Either way, I enjoyed the workout and have resigned myself to do the SLOW miles SLOW and the Easy miles Easy although I am sure that there will come a few times when I have to give myself a bit of a reminder, after all I don’t want to risk the wrath of Ribs now do I. Wink
                      Slo

Good Morning All It was another evening run for me. A nice easy 5 miler. My youngest DD had a cup of Hot Chocolate waiting for me when I got in the house........But before you think...."Oh How Sweet" There was a hidden agenda stuck in that little gesture. I was being buttered up! Looks like we'll have a house full of over night guest. Oh Joy.....a bunch of 10 and 11 yr old girls. One thing I am looking forward to tonight is my run. It'll be my only "quality" run for the week. My plan calls for a 2 mile warm up followed by 4 x 6 min Half Mary Pace with 1 min recoveries. Should be just challenging enough to block out the treadmill. More Snow tonight......which I would normally run in but it would be difficult to maintain my half mary pace so I'm opting for the treadmill. Happy runs everyone!
                        Slo

Good morning all, A funny thing happened this morning on my run. After about 30 minutes into the run, my headlamp died then about 10 minutes later my MP3 player also stopped working. It was only 25F out... not really that cold. Since I recently started using these things, I'm wondering if the cold affects these devices? Anyway, after I got back home and took a shower they both started working again... Confused Good runs to all today.
                          My Sansa Clip doesn't handle the cold well. It'll die unless I can keep in next to my body. My head lamp is built into my hat and I haven't had any issue with that.
                            I'm sorry,but I think I'm going to take a break from RA for awhile...I just don't find myself looking forward to posting...I'll continue to look in...Gordon
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            munchkn883

Bill -- Being a VOLS fan, I never thought I would say this.....Congratulations to the Florida Gators!! Maybe with UT's new coach, we'll win a few games this season!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Gordon.. we look forward to YOU posting. Tim.. injuries suck... good luck. Immobilization with the boot is a great idea and should speed the process. Maine.. nice wave run. Those seem fun, like progression runs. Up early at 4 am to run 13 miles of hills in 1:49:00 (8:23 pace, AHR 151). It felt great with crisp 26F and full moon. I love the solitude in the wee hours. At one point, looking down at the road lit by the headlamp I saw writing on the road..."road closed 1000 ft". Later "road closed 500 ft". I knew I was approaching a bridge but there were no road warning signs. Luckily no cliff. Road was open.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova