Masters Running

Racing reports for the July 13 & 14 weekend (Read 11 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our intrepid racers a fun adventure.

From the Intrepid Racers thread:

07/13 TammyinGP - Siskiyou Outback 15K, Ashland, OR

But now that many other racers are out there this weekend. Please do come back here to tell us your adventure.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

I ran the Siskiyou Outback 15K this weekend (SOB). There are 4 distances now for this race: 15K, 50K, 50 mile and 100K. This is the first year for the 100K. 
      This is a Hal Koerner race, so you know it's going to be a challenge no matter the distance. I ran the 15K one other time, 2012, and I've run some of these trails around Mt. Ashland before, so I was vaguely familiar with it although while running it I kept thinking that these mountains sure have grown since I last ran it because it felt tough. Maybe 6000 - 7000 ft elevation had something to do it, maybe being 7 yrs older had something to do with it. 

It is a great race though - he puts on a good event. 
      The elevation profile is a fun one:

sob15kprofile

It was a superb day weather wise for this race. The start was probably upper 50's at 8:30 and I don't think it got above mid 60's up there that afternoon. Which was great for the runners, but I was getting pretty cold by afternoon. No, I wasn't still running in the afternoon - it was only a 15K afterall - but I hung around most of the day to watch friends come in that were doing their first 50K. 

My time was nothing to brag about by any means: 2:06 and 13/37 AG (F50-59) and 90/198(OA-womens)
      splits: 11.38, 13.54, 13.32, 15.54, 13.30, 12.55, 9.58, 13.21, 13.56, 5.14

The views were stunning. Mostly single track trails except for a couple miles when you are on a forest service road after you get to the top of the 15K course and start the descent down.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Tammy