Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.13.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts/races:
    RunnerKSA (3.3 gloomy miles on tired legs in 51° temps)
    Marj & Henrun (3 miles in Portsmouth, NH)
    Quickadder (9 morning post-race trail miles on tired legs in 10:08 avg pace)
    Holly (18 miles, including16.45 outside 33° morning miles + 1.55 TM miles)
    Falconfixer (5.16 post-marathon miles at 9:30 pace in 30° temps + 20 mile group bike ride)
    Spacityrunner (6 trail miles on Hot Springs Mtn in 71° temps + pumpkin cookie & ice cream & hot chocolate)
    Catwhoorg (7 race-shaking miles)
    Metalmancpa (10 miles, 8:32 pace, after 4.5 hrs of yard cleaning)

Surly Bill (5.5 evening miles in mid-60s temps)

Stumpy (3.9 morning miles with hillage)

Excellent weekend racing by Quickadder (63 sec. 10K PR, celebrating his 63rd birthday); Falconfixer (BQ at Richmond Marathon and 20/244 in AG); Catwhoorg ("massive" PR of 1:33:48 at Chickamagua Half); Opie (10K and 15K PRs in the RMt. Lemmon Half); Mike apparently did very well in the Richmond Marathon, but still waiting to hear from him); RunnerKSA (AG win in the long/hilly/chilly half);

Thanks for the cooking lesson, Twocat. Sounds like it was a great/tasty celebration.

The Seacoast Half Marathon yesterday was a whirlwind. Our race committee arrived at the venue at 6AM, and didn’t stop till everything was cleaned up and packed up at 1PM. 1145 finishers. Good racing, but no course records this year (Men's winner: 1:12:42 - Women's winner: 1:22:02). 1 deer hit by a car (smashed windshield, no one hurt, deer took off) half a mile from the start, just before the start; 3 dogs took off after the racers along the course, and the owner was pissed because the racers didn’t stop to help get them back (??); 1 woman passed out on the course, but aid was quick and good and she was OK; I had to DQ the lead racewalker based on 2 reports from the course that he was clearly running - he was very unhappy, but I think I talked him back from it a bit; we had very close to Ideal Race Conditions (temps in the mid 30s - low 40s with a little sun to brighten and warm things up; I handed out at least 8-10 boxes-worth of pizza to people waiting on the food line after the race, and the interactions with the racers were great; I love, love, love the way our race committee performed in every aspect of managing/coordinating the race; I am incredibly glad and grateful that we were able to host what appears to be another good race and successful fundraiser for our 12th Seacoast Half Marathon ($120K in entry fees and sponsorships raised for our beneficiary this year). I got home, and spent quite a while dealing with post-race emails (missing results, lost clothes, etc., etc.) I didn’t have a workout yesterday, but still put in 5 miles.

I woke at 3:30 this morning, and thought I'd snooze for 15 min and then get up and head out. When I opened my eyes again, it was 50 min later. I still headed out, but just for an easy 3.75 miles in 30° temps.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congratulations on the race execution, Jay.  It sounds like there were a few incidents but they were handled.  That's a lot of racers to manage.  Glad it all went well.

3.3 miles to start Monkey week- whatever that might mean for me this year.  I'm very involved in the event, which means Thursday evening packet preparation, Saturday organizing packet pickup, and whatever I might choose to do of the actual race.  My son will be here, but may or may not be on crutches, depending on if he gets in for an MRI and doc appt this week for what appears to be a shin stress fracture.

2 miles after work on the machine, so 5.3 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Nice work, Jay.  It really must be a lot of details to look after.  Responding to the unexpected incidents must be another challenge.

Good luck with Monkey work this week, KSA.

My voice is still a little hoarse from spectating but, otherwise, I'm recovered from the Richmond Marathon.   It was nice to meet Falconfixer and a pleasure hanging out with MikeE for a low-key recovery weekend.  It was fun seeing the leaders come in (2:19 on the men's side, 2:39 on the women's) as well as the back-of-the pack half-marathoners who were finishing at the same time (in a separate lane, thankfully).  I think the chilly temps (upper 20s at the start) kept some casual fans away but those of us who were out there had a blast.

Exercises + a 3.5 mile run for me today.

Have a great week.

Be safe. Be kind.

$120K in entry fees and sponsorships raised for our beneficiary this year

Wow - simply amazing. Great job Jay! And it never fails to amaze me that people who get DQ'd are angry when the evidence is pretty clear that they cheated.

Good luck with your Monkey decision RunnerKSA.

Tramps snuck in while I was posting. Sounds like you had a great weekend - and great run this morning!

Lots of successful racing this weekend folks!  Especially Mike! Hope his trip home went smooth

5.65 miles for me this morning in 30° with just a little wind. We had some nasty weather roll through here on Saturday with snow and some freezing rain. Parts of the trail I run on were still pretty icy in spots.  I almost slipped and landed on my keester a couple of times. Guess I'm not ready for these conditions yet.

Hope everyone's Monday is off to a great start...

Happy Monday, Folks -

Jay - It sounds like a fantastic event.  I got a good chuckle over the dog owner being PO'd that the racers didn't stop to help with the dogs. 

2Kitty's ribs sound delicious!  I had to look up delicata squash.  We've decided we like spaghetti squash for spaghetti better than we like actually spaghetti, so I'm also looking for other possible squash recipes.  We're not big squash eaters, so we'll see.

It was raining buckets of rain - sideways - when I was supposed to go out for my short run at O-Dark 30 - which meant I neither ran nor traversed the short distance from my back door to my Woman Cave.  The prospect of getting drenched at 4:30 in the a.m. kept me in bed.  Not that I got much sleep, but oh well.  I'll get in my 30 min after work.  This week I start slowly increasing my time/mileage, so we'll see how it goes.

Finally bought a new alarm clock.  Egads, but that thing is bright!  It's like having a green spotlight in the bedroom.  I'm wondering if red numbers would be better.  I turned it away from facing the bed, but it still was bright, and then there's the whole can't-see-the-time issue when it's facing away . . . .

Enjoy the week, friends ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jay sounds like the race went really well and I have heard only great comments from friends!! I really hope to be there next year!!

5:15 spin class 40 minutes, body pump

Chiropractor said I have one angry case of PF -- he worked on it manually, then did laser an ice. See the PT Friday 

denise

TammyinGP

Hi all,

just a quick check-in as I have much to do today. Still haven't written up my 9 mile race in the race thread, but not much to say about it really anyways. well, I did get 1st AG, but only 2 of us and even on average running day I'm faster than the other gal that ran it, so it's not like my 1st AG was anything all that impressive. 1:28:00 was my time.  

Probably won't be able to get in a run today.

Tammy

Dave59

I ran 3.3 on the gym treadmill this morning.  (Actually I walked .3 and then ran 3, but there isn't enough difference between my walking and running pace to make the distinction.)

Visiting NH and running the Seacoast Half Marathon would be a fun thing to do next year (if you're up to holding it again next year.)  Probably a 2% chance of making it at this point, but I'll put a note next to the family calendar to keep it in mind see what happens.  It's always fun to look ahead at things even if they never pan out.

Tammy - An AG is an AG, regardless of anything else.  Congrats!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

an amazing likeness

Visiting NH and running the Seacoast Half Marathon would be a fun thing to do next year (if you're up to holding it again next year.)  Probably a 2% chance of making it at this point, but I'll put a note next to the family calendar to keep it in mind see what happens.  It's always fun to look ahead at things even if they never pan out.

Do it, Dave!  I've done something like 55 +/- half marathons, and the Seacoast Half is one I look forward to coming back to each year. Everything about it is just...right. Great course in terms of views, variety and 'flow', excellent logistics, local charities benefit, etc, etc.

And the RD is pretty nice chap...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Do it, Dave!  I've done something like 55 +/- half marathons, and the Seacoast Half is one I look forward to coming back to each year. Everything about it is just...right. Great course in terms of views, variety and 'flow', excellent logistics, local charities benefit, etc, etc.

And the RD is pretty nice chap...

I’ll add my endorsement, too. Can only claim about a dozen, 3 of them are here. Everything milktruck says. And there’s little chance of hot weather. Big in my book.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Finally bought a new alarm clock.  Egads, but that thing is bright!  It's like having a green spotlight in the bedroom.  I'm wondering if red numbers would be better.  I turned it away from facing the bed, but it still was bright, and then there's the whole can't-see-the-time issue when it's facing away . . . .

I have one like this too.  It has a dimmer setting, but it's still pretty darn bright in the dark.  I turn it away from me when I sleep, and end up leaning over to check it during the night.  DH has one on his side of the bed that has the red numbers that shine on the ceiling, but without my glasses I can't always make it out.

Jay - another great job this year - well done!

RunnerKSA - I have run the Monkey twice - a lovely race, but tough.  Always good for a few toenail losses.

5 recovery paced miles for me today in 37 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Hi All. We're back home. Had a great weekend in the Seattle area, but alas, Monday always has a way of showing up. We got home at around 10:30 last night to a ton of snow, and woke up this morning to a few inches more. We might actually need to call a snowplow, but DH is still talking about firing up the snowblower. 

Yesterday I got out for 12 miles, most of those on the Cross Kirkland Corridor trail. Here's the Relive of my run, and I even loaded some pictures. I first went out thinking the trailhead I'd seen was just a couple blocks from the hotel, but couldn't find it so looped up around behind the road thinking I'd have to come across it eventually. Gave up and circled back to the hotel to have DH drive me to the point we'd seen the day before. Then, just about .3 miles into my run I cross a road and see that the place where I'd given up earlier was just about 75-100 ft away! Dang it! Should've kept going but couldn't see around the hill so didn't see it. Oh well. 10.7 miles on the corridor added to the 1.3 miles I covered looking for it gave me 12 for the day. And the weather was actually good, no rain at all till later in the afternoon.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I am back from a great trip to Virginia.  I can't even begin to tell you how nice it was to hang out with Tramps and TriBee.  I sure did need a weekend like that.

I took the day off, today, and have spent almost the entire day preparing for our end of season cross country banquet.  I wrote a little poem...it's not real great...but its better than nothing.

Jay--congratulations for another great race and fundraiser.  If I ever risk my life to fly to do something other than a marathon, it will be your half...and maybe Twocat's relay.

Okay--I'd better get going.  The banquet starts soon.  Man, my calves hurt!  See ya!

spacityrunner

I will put the Seacoast half on my calendar for next year...if I can I will...

2.5 miles before work in IRC.  Thought I was running like a house afire but when I looked at my data...poo...it was slow.  Oh well..they can't all feel speedy 

Trails Rock!