Masters Running

Mardi Gras Marathon - New Orleans RR (Read 218 times)

pfriese

Short version of the race: goal - 4 hours result - 3:58:51 (chip time) Long version of the race: A perfect day for a race. Temperatures at the start were 50 degrees, clear skies, and a light south breeze. I arrived a bit early and made my way into the Superdome where it was warm. That place is huge. I found a nice place to relax and wait until it was time to go out to line up for the start. About 20 minutes before the start, I found the 4 hour pace group and lined up with them. My plan was to stay ahead of them running a 9:00/mile pace. The usual start festivities with anthem and flyover (a big rescue Coast Guard helicopter). The start was in 3 waves with the faster than 4 hour runners first, then the faster than 5 hour runners, followed by the walkers and 5K groups. The start was not too crowded in front of the Superdome and through downtown, but when we entered the French Quarter with its narrow streets, it got a bit crowded. Since I was at the leading edge of the second wave, I soon caught up to the first wave. Before I knew it, I had caught up with the 3 hour 50 minute pace group. Time to back off, I was running way too fast, too early. Running through the Quarter down Bourbon Street was interesting at 7:15AM with some of the all-night partyers rolling out of the bars with looks of confusion on their faces as 3000 runners were passing through. After our jaunt through the French Quarter it was on down St. Charles Street through the Central Business District. We had a pretty good number of spectatators scattered through out with even a fairly large contingent watching from the review stands set up for the Mardi Gras Parades later this month. As we entered the Garden District, the spacing was much better and I tried to get a better grip on my pace. I could still see the 3:50 pace group about a block ahead and just tried to ease off and not close in on them. At DD's college (mile 6) the course turned into Audubon Park for a loop around the park, then back out to St. Charles for trip back towards the Superdome. I love running on St. Charles and around Audubon Park and try to run here everytime we come down to New Orleans. At mile 10 was our hotel and DW was out front taking pictures and cheering runners. I gave her my gloves and kept going. I could no longer see the 3:50 pace group, so my pace had settled in better. We passed by the Superdome again, with the half-marathoner peeling off to the left for their finish with the marathoners heading out towards City Park. My half split was 1:56:56, a little fast but not too far off from where I wanted to be. I just needed to keep that 9:10/mile pace up for the next 13.1 more miles. The second half while not as picturesque as running through the French Quarter and the Garden District was still interesting. This area had severe Katrina flooding with some of the houses still showing the high water marks. The highest water marks on the houses were 6 feet or so through here. Aprroximately 3/4 of the houses had been repaired with most of the others under repair. The bright colors of the row houses were neat. We arrived at City Park around mile 15 to start our loop around it. At mile 16.5 was the only hill on the course, an overpass over the interstate. I think our elevation had changed less than a foot for the whole course until here. And actually, this hill overpass was a test for some of the runners around me with a 10% incline and an elevation of 20 feet, I passed quite a few runners walking up it. Mile 18, we were finally at the far end of City Park and made our turn back towards downtown on the park trails. I was beginning to feel the race now and thinking I might have gone out too fast and was going to "crash and burn" again. The west side of City Park had more undulations so it seemed like it would never end, I wanted to get back on the street headed for the finish. At mile 20 water stop, I walked for a hundred yards or so, really getting tired now. Finally at mile 21.5 we came out of the park for the second and third "hills"; the second hill was a small bridge over a canal, probably a 3 feet elevation change & the third hill was an underpass under the interstate with maybe a 6 feet elevation change. At the water stop at mile 23.5, I had to walk again. Not really tired, just mentally unable to keep running. THE WALL as they say. Thankfully, at this point I hear the 4 hour pace group coming up behind me, it woke me up and I was not going to let them pass. I was going to do my best to stay ahead of them. I could here the pace leader (Lou) encouraging them. I don't really remember much of what he said, stuff like "focus on the finish", "remember your training", "3 miles is a short run", etc. It worked! At mile 25, he told them to stay even or ahead of him, that we had 4 hours beat, if anyone wanted to pull away they could, but that no one could fall behind, that he would try to keep everyone ahead of him through the final water stop at 25.5 miles. Three or four runners did pass me at that point, but I was also picking up my pace up too. I realized I mised the mile 26 marker when I saw the Finish Line ahead. I had no sprint left in me, the clock was at 3:59:50, I crossed the finish line at 4:00:50 gun time, I knew that I had some time in the bank due to the wave start and that my chip time was less than 4 hours. I was exhausted, but was able to make my way through the finish chute, get my medal, chip removed, and find some fluids & food (red beans and rice, plus some King cake ). I walked a half mile to the street car stop and rode it back to the hotel. What a race, the weather was perfect (57 at the finish), the course was flat, and I met my goal. The race was well-run and organized. The rest stops were well stocked and the volunteers were great. I expected more Mardi Gras decorations and theme to the race, but that really wasn't important. The only negative was the condition of the streets, but we were warned about the uneven surfaces on the web page. I would definitely run this marathon again. Sorry for the long report, but I am very pleased with my result and it still shows. Paul
      congratulations on a sub 4:00, Paul. Sounds like you ran a nearly perfectly paced race....nearly even splits.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

#artbydmcbride

I can see your grin from here! Big grin Congratulations!

Runners run

coastwalker

Hi Paul, Seems like you did a perfect job of pacing on a "perfect day for a race!" Congratulations on staying with your plan, on refusing to be beaten by The Wall, and on coming in under your goal time. Well done! Good description of the course in your RR too. So, where are the pics that DW took??? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great report, Paul! How nice to have the 4-hour pacer yelling encouragement to you, as well. Wink I didn't know there were people who did that, but I bet it's a great mental boost, especially at the end. I also liked your comments about the all-night partiers on Bourbon Street being confused. Ha!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

That's fantastic! Perfect race indeed on a perfect day. Boy those hills sure sounded brutal Roll eyes Glad you met your goal and enjoy the high for as long as you'd like.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Paul, What a well run race! You kept your focus and stayed on pace , Great Job and congrats! My wife and I visited New Orleans this June for the first time since Katrina. I was amazed at how much still needs to be done down there. When you see it in person you realize how many people it is still affecting even after all this time. Sounds like a cool place to run a marathon though. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congrats on meeting your goal Paul,sounds like your pacing was perfect...Thanks for the RR,I could almost visualize the course.
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    Oooooh, red beans and rice AND King Cake!!! I am so envious! Hope you didn't get the baby. Great race and very nice race report. Thanks for sharing.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Top 'O the World!

Congrats on a Good Race, Good Read! Thank you for sharing Paul! Cindy
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        nice job Paul!! perfect day, perfect pace, perfect time!! doesn't get much better --- so happy for you!!Big grin

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

What a race, the weather was perfect (57 at the finish), the course was flat, and I met my goal.
                          Can't get a whole lot better than that - great job! And I totally agree that mid-50's is about the perfect running temperature....oh how I would love to be running in that weather right now..... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I sounds like it couldn't have been much better, pfriese. You had great conditions, a good course, ran your plan very well, and met your goal. Congratulations. TomS
                            Tramps

Congratulations, Paul. That was a great race for you in a pretty interesting location, to say the least. Glad it all turned out so well.

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations Paul, how awesome you ran a sub-4 marathon! Eating King cake plus red beans and rice at the finish sounds really good! Did your slice of King cake have anything in it ? Wink