Masters Running

Friday 12.18.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm on my phone while my laptop is getting a new battery. It's my only computer so I have to keep it healthy.

6.7 RW miles at the usual time in shorts. I'm working on 5+ hours sleep so it's going to be an interesting day.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning!

So happy y'all are having a mild December up in the Northeast.  It's about time!  Enjoy the running!

Ran with Speedsters last night.  SO fun running in the dark, lit up with all the festive holiday lights.  We ran an out and back past the Edison Estate, which as you might imagine, does itself up in a grand fashion.   I ran a bit before the group met, and didn't plan on doing the entire 6 mile run but I couldn't stop.  So I did 9 last night.  And got out for a bit this am.*   Cold front coming in, or so they say.  We'll see.

Frosty 5K on tap tomorrow, so it will be a light running day.

grins,

A

*this is a good thing, as we've had some particularly yummy cookies in the office of late.  <oink!!>

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

That was such a cool story you shared about your dad, Leslie. I know how much you miss him which makes remembrances like this so special.

Amy, it’s good to have goals, even as accomplished a runner as you are. I would never call your morning runs slow, just sayin’.  I saw photos of the Edison Estate on FB. The green grass seems a bit out of place with Christmas lights.  I would have trouble getting used to that. Actually, our grass is pretty green now after the snow melted.

Jay, I sure hope you don’t have to start over with the project. What a waste of time!

Wishing fleet feet tet (need picture of this thong) henrun & Deez this weekend. I imagine that it is hard to find volunteers for races the weekend before Christmas.

12/19 AamosY - Frosty 5K

12/19 tetsujin - Seward Park Solstice 10K (Seattle) - thong

12/20 henrun - Jingle Bell Run 5K, Cambridge MA

12/20 Deez4boyz - Jingle Bell 5k, Somerville, MA

Thanks for the kind wishes for our daughter, while she is in transition and looking for a job. A particularly devastating blow is that she was denied unemployment benefits. I don’t understand that at all. Plus she lost her PTO from her employer. Any HR people (hi Erika) have any advice.   Her lease was up this month so she will be moving too. We are driving up with a trailer to pick up furniture and boxes she won’t have room for in the furnished place she will be living.  I talked to her yesterday and it sounds like she is making progress on the sorting and throwing and keeping of things.

I have had my gym bag in my car for over a week but haven’t been there once, ack! It has actually been pretty nice for a Minnesotan winter but heading for single digits tonight. After that it’s sunny and in the 30’s, yeah! I am going to the gym after work today. Friday’s are a pretty slim crowd as far as I remember. I may even put my toes in the water.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Starr - I can't remember - was your daughter laid off?  If so, I don't understand how she could be denied unemployment.

Thanks for all your comments regarding my dad.  These past few days have been really rough for some reason.  It comes and goes, but this round doesn't seem to be "going" as fast.  I've had enough of death and funerals since August (3), so I'm ready for a positive, happy new year.

I'm assuming Tet is cloning himself for the double meetings.

40 min of stat biking this a.m. with 5 x 1 min hard, followed up with standing donkey kicks, hip hikes, clams, and planks.  Tomorrow's 14 should be interesting since my legs are feeling really tired, but so be it.  At least it's not supposed to rain (it's only day of no rain for 7 days), but there should be some fine mud puddles and slipping and sliding to enjoy.  

Have a fantabulous Friday, friends ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Starr - I can't remember - was your daughter laid off?  If so, I don't understand how she could be denied unemployment.

Leslie, she was actually fired. I guess some patients had complained but I really don't know that much about it.  I suppose if they have just reasons for termination then she doesn't get unemployment. It doesn't seem right to me but I'm just the mom.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Hi Starr... not sure what advice I can give. Usually unused PTO is paid to the employee at termination, usually up to some cap of (typically) 240 or 360 hours. But, each employer is different and maybe they don't pay out unused leave. The type of termination could matter, too. At-will or employee-initiated resignation is usually not a problem, but termination for cause could be. I'd have her check her employer's policies (a handbook, maybe?). Also, termination could cause a delay in unemployment benefits, I wouldn't think a full denial. I know there's a longer waiting period if an employee quits vs. is fired, but not sure if there's a "for cause" delay that would be different. She should check with the unemployment office. The worst thing to do (in both areas: unpaid PTO and unemployment) is to do nothing. Sorry she's going through this at all, much less right before Christmas.

We should have a pretty good day here and I actually have time earlier this afternoon than usual, so I'm looking forward to a run in the daylight! And hey, next week we start gaining minutes again! Woot!

[[[[starr]]]]

........Taken Shopping Against My Will.........

also

it's Spitting SNOW............aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh

so, Rest Day

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

[[[[starr]]]]

........Taken Shopping Against My Will.........

also

it's Spitting SNOW............aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh

so, Rest Day

Not fair--it's close to 50° here today.   As much as I've enjoyed the mild fall and early winter, it's supposed to snow for Christmas.

Just started my training for the Half at the Hamptons based on the Higdon Intermediate.  It involves running 5 days a week, which we will see if I can adjust to after many years of 4 max.  I understand I'll get to race with Deez.  Something to get me through the winter.  Of course, it will run into a challenge immediately, as DW and I will be going to LA the week between Christmas and NY to visit DD and move her into a new apartment.  The locals were complaining about the cold temperatures recently (in the 60s).

Amy--they're taking real liberties to call a race "Frosty" in FLA.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

It has actually been pretty nice for a Minnesotan winter but heading for single digits tonight.

Yeah, I was liking it better the other way. Blustery 22° and we haven't seen the sun in over a week. I was at a Christmas dinner too late last night and ate way too much food. I struggled through a 45 minute session of cardio, weights and core with my personal trainer this morning. When I showed her the menu from our dinner last night, she said "we're going to have to kick it up a notch today." Yikes!  She kicked my butt!  Then a 2 hour stint ringing the bell for the Salvation Army where I wasn't dressed right for standing in the entryway of the grocery store I was at. Been home over an hour and I still can't warm up!

Get some sleep Jay.

Good luck with your race Amy! What do you do with all of the hardware you win? I'd love to see your family room some time

Starr - I would think if your daughter was let go from her job, she should definitely be getting unemployment. There are lots of legal folks here - hopefully someone will be able to give some advice. Glad she's doing better though, and glad you're coming to Green Bay next May!

Have a great Friday night everyone.

Amy--they're taking real liberties to call a race "Frosty" in FLA.

Starr - Unemployment Eligibility.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

I got released from PT today and ran home from there - 8 miles - longest run since my rib fracture.  Ribs are about  85% cured, but I have piriformis pain and clamshells are my friend.

i'm thinking about that half in march, but I couldn't persuade my DD to run it, so I'll decide closer to the time.  I'm tired of signing up for races and not running them.

happy trails,

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Generally, the Employer has to prove that the Employee behaved in deliberate disregard of the Employer's business interest, or some such language.  It's worth applying.  Being fired does not usually disqualify you from UC.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Starr...Sorry to hear that. Unemployment Benefits will vary some from state to state I believe. If she was employed by a different employer prior sometimes they can go back and file for benefits against the previous employer.

Hopefully she'll find other employment quickly and everything will be behind her.

Anybody here doing the 2016 in 2016 challenge?

spacityrunner

Slo...I am on team #9...which team are you on?

Anybody here doing the 2016 in 2016 challenge?

Hiya everyone!!!

Trails Rock!

Slo

I'm not on a team...I somehow missed the sign up for that so I'm a solo contestant.