Masters Running

It's Friday and I get to start the daily :) (Read 46 times)

...ok, who told deez they could start the daily??????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Dave, thanks for the comments on your watch. I'd be interested to know what others use and what they think of them. My Garmin 305 is causing me more problems and it's old enough that I should be thinking about a replacement. Would be a good Christmas list item!

My favorite shoes in the whole wide world have been discontinued (Boo to Asics for that one!) so I've been looking for replacements almost all summer. Well, since I found out the Speedstars are gone. Both my remaining pairs have over 800 miles on them, and the ones I've been wearing all summer have almost no tread left. I wore my older (but more tread because of lots of treadmill miles) Speedstars on my last long run in terribly muddy conditions, and it was an exciting ride at times... lots of slippin' and slidin'!

Got new trail shoes yesterday though, Asics GEL Fuji racer. A nice shoe, good traction but very "minimal" and I could feel the rocks on the road on the short run I did today. Not sure I want to wear them tomorrow. That would sure blow the ol' "Don't do anything new on race day" idea out the door, wouldn't it! What to do... what to do.....

evanflein I have a 310xt I have been very happy with.  As to the race how big a race is it?  Nothing new has less bite on a race you do not care too much about.

coastwalker Joking

I have had a really busy week and today was no exception.  The best thing that happened is that DW and I went out for dinner to a new Mediterranean place in town and it turned out to be really good for the price.  It will definitely go on our regular rotation list.  As to running.  None for me today just an hour on the elliptical.  It did let me finally finish last season's Amazing Race!  That took me long enough!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Evan - I bought Fuji racers, yes definitely a bit minimal, and I liked how light they were, but I couldn't do more than 5 miles in them without really feeling it in my feet the next day, not to mention they were too small and gave me blisters on the tops of my toes.  Now DS is wearing them, and I don't think I will bother asking for them back.

Dave, I have a Garmin Forerunner 610, and I love that damn thing!  The touch screen is nice, as is the vibrating mile alarm.  It was pricey, but it was a gift.  However, I have not done intervals with it.  I did have to buy a Velcro strap, as the one it comes with was exceedingly hard to unlatch to take off.

Probably a club run tomorrow....need to see where they are running.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hi Deez!

Started the day with a running commute to work – saw Tet’s Madam Moon along my entire run.  Many of you are early birds, but I need to run into to work in order to get a run in and arrive in time for my 7:00 meeting.

OrangeMat – your focus is truly impressive.

Jay - congrats on the race rating. I am looking at my schedule to see if I can run it.

More Hugs for Holly as I sign off and head into slumber

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

...ok, who told deez they could start the daily??????

tom, that would be because she really runs, not like some of the pretenders on the forum <<<(that would be you and me, or at least me)>>>>>>

It doesn't stop us from giving all kinds of unsolicited advice.

evanflein . . .   As to the race how big a race is it?

1. Equinox. 
              but first, excuse me, twocat, started by some x-c skiers in 1963 as a pre-season warm up on the hardest possible course of 26.2 miles of running they could make around there <<<<Ester Dome out-and-back)>>>, as noted in ilene’s Intrepid, it’s the EQUINOX, by far the most prestigious marathon without any comparison in the state and second-to-only-Boston in the entire U.S, to say nothing of being said to be the second hardest U.S. marathon next to Pike’s Peak and “one of the most difficult marathon courses in the world and includes 3285 ft. (1001 m) of elevation gain (and loss).”
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_Marathon
              I still have nightmar...,  I mean dream about the start straight up the university ski hill.

Coincidentally, the first Equinox was also on September 21, exactly 50 years ago in 1963. 
              Holly ran the 2012 edition and we’ll all be thinking of her tomorrow too.
              ps - did you know that runs don’t count unless they are approved by ilene’s intrepid.
              It doesn't mean you but let's all support her weekly race schedule so we can better support each other..

3.Unsolicited advice about running shoes (which I have not worn since 1990).
              thin-soled, light-weight racing flats or minimalists will especially make you feet feel like they are hot and then on fire so you won’t want to dare land on another pebble.  Pavement will eventually burn through too but not painful like gravel.  It’s way worse for heel-striking which even mid/fore-foot runners have to do slipping/slidin’ down The Chute.

It could be bad enough to require a stiff, hard rubber insole inside but it’s too late for that. Wear them but have DW take your old Asics along with him as he tries to catch up to you along the course.  Maybe he can stash one of the pairs somewhere even it it’s a little hike. If you have any insoles, maybe put them in the Asics too.  I guess, for once, I’m glad you’re not running the ultra option.  Be careful. Have fun, especially since you know how badly it will beat up the uninitiated.  Good luck.

ps - is snow still in Saturday’s weather forecast?

pps - please check wtih OM and get nervous for you. we are.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM #7877

Don't normally post in daily but 20 miles on a treadmill (it was raining hard outside) is crazy enough to post.

Philippians 4:13.

Mariposai

Don't normally post in daily but 20 miles on a treadmill (it was raining hard outside) is crazy enough to post.

You are right!!!

20 miles on a TM is crazy enough to qualify you to post here Smile))))))))))

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks, Tet, I'll probably wear my old Asic Speedstars as I don't expect much for mud, at least not compared to two weeks ago. We could have snow at the top though, which would be a drag. I'm concerned about my hands and ears. Will wear glove liners and lightweight fleece gloves, and a headband/earwarmer. I might give those up or carry them after mile 17, when it usually warms up (on the south side of the hill and not exposed to wind). DH can meet me at mile 7 for a Gu and water, mile 11.5 for the same, and maybe a warmer pair of gloves. Keeping warm without overheating will be the challenge.

Enke, I ran 2.4 in them today, mix of dirt road with rocks and bikepath, and they felt fine. I'm hesitant to do a full marathon in them as the second outing with them. So... probably not.

UnionBlue... I've done that 20 mile run on the treadmill thing, not much fun but at least not too far from the restroom! I've done it because of forest fire smoke in the summer, or extreme cold (as in -30 or colder) temps in the winter. Still... glad to have the option but a bummer to have to use it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think your old shoes will be honored to have their last run in the 50th year of the famed Equinoxs.

You should warm up fast up the first ski hill but that doesn't help hands or ears much.  I know what you mean about the treat of the afternoon sun on the southern slopes when you're on the way back. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

UnionBlue... I've done that 20 mile run on the treadmill thing, not much fun but at least not too far from the restroom!

Always a plus to be near a restroom....

3 miles for me on Friday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Tetsujin, just need to clarify that last year was the 50th anniversary, we had a huge turnout (including Holly!). This year isn't expected to be as big, which is good since that first part of the course can be pretty crowded.

Because of construction on campus, we're starting on the road this year. There's a roundabout now just to the west of the Patty Center (original start), and we'll turn north and head up the hill from there. Same amount of hill, just a different place to go up.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin, just need to clarify that last year was the 50th anniversary, we had a huge turnout (including Holly!). This year isn't expected to be as big, which is good since that first part of the course can be pretty crowded.

Because of construction on campus, we're starting on the road this year. There's a roundabout now just to the west of the Patty Center (original start), and we'll turn north and head up the hill from there. Same amount of hill, just a different place to go up.

Have fun erika but, when you get back, let me know how last year (2012) could have been the 50th anniversary if the first one was on 9/21/1963. I guess they could say it was the 50th running, . .. except for the fact that there was no running in 1996 because of the snowstorm, or was there? Whatever the number, getting up close and muddy with Ester Dome and others in 1994 remains one of my best marathon memories.