Masters Running

Tootsday, 6.28.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Stumpy, that's a mighty fine looking camp in a gorgeous location!

Congats, Baba and Pops! Interesting that the 2 docs are talking about your foot, but not bothering to take a look at it. Maybe they'll get a round toit.

Twocat, I feel your pain: Everyone is predicting what is going to happen because of 'Brexit,' but this is new territory so the only way to know for sure is to wait and see. But why should a little lack of knowledge stop people from opining? I say we punt the pundits!

You may remember that our conservation commission has been dealing with finding a way to terminate a 50-year conservation easement 6 years early, and negotiating for something better in return for our support of the termination. After a lot of misdirection from our town and the resultant hours and hours of extra work that caused, we finally got it resolved and approved quickly and without out dispute last night. We're giving up 2 acres that would have been protected for 6 more years, and are getting 4 more valuable acres that will be protected forever. There, that's done.

Our niece and her girlfriend went for their first-ever surfing lesson yesterday afternoon (choppy seas, big waves, and they had fun), and then made dinner for us last night - stuffed salmon with sundried tomatoes, basil and feta cheese. It was quite tasty!

7.3 fartlek RW miles this morning in 69 muggy degrees. It was muggy enough to make it hard to breathe this morning, so it was perfect for fartleks, right? Maybe not so right; it was hard work and I didn't hit my pace goals. But it was also my first workout in that kind of weather this summer, so it was all good. It was raining by the time I finished my post-workout stretching, so it was close, but at least I didn't break Rule #TC.1.268. Now I've got to move along 'cause the wimmin and I are going to the dive for breakfast this morning.

Have a greta Tootsday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep...it's like always say, "Never keep the wimmin waitin'...especially when you're going out for breakfast."  Actually...I've never said that...but, if I had wimmin waitin' to go out for breakfast, that's what I would say.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Barb and RS!!!  Here's to new names!  Speaking of knees, my mom was a Capricorn (January) and ruefully pointed out that knees are associated with that sign.  She had a knee replacement that wore out and so endured a second one in the same knee.  My colleague in the next cube is pregnant, due the beginning of August.  It's amusing to hear all the "advice" she is getting from well-meaning folks who are telling her their late pregnancy/delivery stories.  Right now, she's being told to nap whenever the baby naps, as she's going to be exhausted all the time.  (Somehow, this would not be as helpful as it might sound to me, as I'm sure I'd focus on the exhaustion part.)

......People.  Gotta love 'em.

Stumpy!!!!!  Waaaaa!!!!

OK, better now.  Got in 7+ but just under what Jay did this morning.  Rain in the evening cooled things a bit so it was pleasant.

Wish I could have had a supper like Jay's last night.  (I made my old standby pasta.....but I did have mango in my salad.)

SO now a bunch of Brits want a "do-over."  And just how many do they get?  (We want to keep doing it over until the vote comes out the way we want?  "

"British Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is the first member of the UK government to suggest that Article 50 should not be triggered until the public has had a chance to vote on a new deal with the EU, by either calling a general election or having another referendum."

It's interesting watching, that's for sure.

The rains and the fires are frightening.  You just go about your life and wham!  Mother Nature smacks you on the head.  Sorry for your colleagues, Dave.

take care,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . so it was perfect for fartleks, right?

Good job, Jay.

No day is not perfect enough for a run,
          especially compared to if you can’t do it
          or are still too sore from a weekend marathon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein for the last time (okay likely not), it is not my rule! It is Rule #1 in the Book of Running Rules. You just got to get a copy and read it already! 

coastwalker congratulations on getting easement done! I know you have been working on it for some time.

I managed 8 miles in weather a frog would love. Better than winter I say!  Ran with some zombies. They apparently are unaffected by the dew point and caught me. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

4.2 miles this am.  First run since the relay.  I should have gotten out there a few days ago instead - feel like I've lost fitness and gained pounds already.  Not feels like, I have.  My Garmin won't lock the satellites - I might be returning it - it is less than a year old.  Need to catch up here.  14 weeks I think until Portland, and I like to have a decent training cycle.  But it sure was nice having last week off to sleep in a little each day!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...I've never said that...but, if I had wimmin waitin' to go out for breakfast, that's what I would say.

..I Love it........

========

40-min Walk on Level Surface

and

40-min PoolRun with belft, closed fists, run in shallows

........heading over to PSA Student Center again tomorrow,

so

expecting some BackPain tomorrow

..............good running guys

>>>>>>let's Have a Name The Baby Contest for rosie<<<<<<<<<<

-----has ''Boudica'' been taken??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Say, I can get you a discount through July at the Asheville (NC) half and/or full marathons March 11 and 12.  (I know it's early, but there's a cap on the races and they usually fill up early.)

There's a built in museum (you can tour the Biltmore Estate) and the course is partially on dirt (carriage paths, gravel) , so less impact.

You can read more here: https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/be-extraordinary-heres-how/

Race website: http://ashevillemarathon.com/

Or just do this if you want the discount:

The discount code is only good until July 31st.

A few notes to keep in mind:

1. The discount code MUST be applied at the END of the checkout process (not in the invitation code box in the beginning of the registration) .

2. The discount is NOT good retroactively, sorry.

3. If someone forgets to use the code or sees it after they have registered we cannot go back in and put the code in.

AMA DISCOUNT CODE 2017 (15% off)

AMY2017AMAROCKS

Please feel free to share with running friends.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

That race would be fun but not sure I'm up for it. Those early spring races mean long runs in the dead of winter... bleh.

Enke, I loved my Forerunner 25 when I got it, and some features are really cool. I've never had a problem with locking on to satellites though, which was the main problem I was having with my old 305. This one, however, is driving me nuts because it eats runs. When I go to upload my run, it's not there or the file is corrupt and can't be loaded. Happened again yesterday. I've had this thing 6 months, and have lost 5 runs, two of which were long runs that I really wanted the data from. So, that's almost one a month. Garmin says it's normal to occasionally have a corrupt file (i.e., lose a run), but I don't think this meets anyone's idea of normal behavior. I've got another message in to product support to complain about it. Ultimate goal is to have them replace it, but maybe I need a different model. Even though I love the purple...

Rain again this morning but the afternoon is looking better. I have a meeting in a few minutes, and will head out for my run after that.

Tried my Garmin at work, and it locked onto satellites.  Erika, I also had some weird data issues where I would lose lap data - I'd have the last 6 miles as one lap.  And another time it just wouldn't download the data.  So yeah, I think with these cheaper forerunners, come more glitches.  I do like how light it is to wear though...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, nice job on the conservation easement! Sounds like a win-win.  Have fun with your niece and her friend - sounds like they're having fun.

RCG - congrats on the impending grandparenthood!  How exciting!

Enke - I'm glad to hear you got out for a run.

I met a new friend from the FB women's ultra group today for a run up in Rocky Mountain National Park.  I haven't been there in years, but I really should go more often.  It's only 1.5 hours from home, and it's gorgeous!  We ran a 13 mile loop past  6 lakes. Now I'm tired.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Looks like Garmin will authorize a return/exchange on my Forerunner 25. Hope the new one is better, but given Enke's experience I'm not sure it will be. Unfortunately, I think it's a good idea that's not ready for prime time.

My niece's dog died the other day. Madison was such a good dog, a real sweetie (as most golden retrievers are). She wrote a really

nice essay about him with pictures. I get a little bit of misty pings reading it. We should all have an animal that makes that difference in our lives.

And, on another note, the guy who had a heart attack at our mile race last week is doing well. Here's a news story on him and the event. Pretty scary stuff. Hope to see Bad Bob Baker out there again soon!