Masters Running

Fri Oct 9 Runs and Workouts (Read 568 times)

I was going to say "Finally Friday" but I took Monday off so I guess I shouldn't complain.  Actually this was the first of three 4 day weeks for me, as next weekend we'll be taking Friday then Monday as well.

Today's 5 was interspersed with several striders, quickening the pace a bit.  There was a steady rain before we went out but just wet roads to contend with during the run.

5.1 miles, 43:35, 8:32/mi, AHR 147 (75% MHR)

I hardly ever get stopped by a guy on a horse when I'm doing a tempo run.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

You seem to have recovered nicely, Lou.

5 for me yesterday, the middle 3 at MP. I'll run a couple more this afternoon.

Now, off to Hartford...

Good luck and good running to all.

Walt

Nice run WRFB.

You too Walt and I'll see you in Hartford tomorrow.

Un-timed 3.5 miles for me at 6:00 am---clouds are gathering and rain is on the way for later today. 48º and breezy. The horses at the farm next door ignored me, but the Springer Spaniel who always rushes to the very edge of his electric fence border and barks like no tomorrow was in rare form. 

Fleet feet to all the racers this weekend----go out strong and steady and bring it down with a smile at the finish.

Tramps

Hartford, Heartland, Long Beach, Royal Vic, and nono's 18-miler! 

That's quite a line-up of weekend races.  Best of luck to everyone!

(And CNY, take it easy at that 5K just a week after your marathon.)

I took yesterday off to rest the pulled muscle but no improvement today.

Original plan 8 w/4@ MP.

Revised plan 8 easy.

Actual run: 3 easy. 

Houston, we have a problem.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Mornin All !

A good hard pool workout.......My main set was interrupted by a chatty gutter hugger.....I was trying not to come off like an a-hole but I must have......they moved over two lanes and found someone else to chat up. Sorry, If I wanted to be social I would have joined the bridge club.

So......Freeze warnings out for tonight.......Karazy !

Lou - nice Friday kickoff!

Leslie - cider donuts, whoopie pies, lobsters, apples, apple pies, apple fritters.............it's all good.  Enjoy your New England getaway!!  The colors are spectacular this year.

Breeger - thanks for the Flickr tip!

For Mariposai - this delightful butterfly (and her fuzzy buddy) visited my yard last week:

My Jesse - legs crossed in lady-like fashion:

IRC this morning - 54 degree and completely calm for 7.5 hilly miles @ 9:52 and 152 AHR. 

Wishin all of our weekend racers an injury-free journey.  Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

I took yesterday off to rest the pulled muscle but no improvement today.

Original plan 8 w/4@ MP.

Revised plan 8 easy.

Actual run: 3 easy. 

Houston, we have a problem.

Oh Tramps - say it ain't so! 

What if you stopped running completely between now and the race?  I doubt it would really make much, if any, difference to your finishing time at this point (your training is already in the bank), but that much recovery might be enough for a pulled muscle to recover.

Sue - great pics - Jesse is lovely!

No workout at all for me today.  I slept in until 5:30 - right through my radio alarm - that may be a first.  I guess I needed the rest.  I would probably have been happy with another hour, even.  Then I puttered around in the kitchen getting Burdandy Beef into the crockpot for tonight’s dinner, and then making the teriyaki-like marinade for tomorrow’s roast pork loin. 

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful pictures, Sue.  So glad  you've figured out how to post them!  How old is Jesse now?

Walt and CNY, good luck at Hartford. And fleet feet to all the other weekend racers, too - Erika, Nono, Tom, et al.

Tramps, hope you heal up quickly and your space mission can get back on track.  All of us here at mission control have got your back.

Thanks for the hugs yesterday for DD's failing her driving test. It was definitely a sign that she needs more practice!  She's wearing her batman shirt today - I think she should wear it next time she takes the test for good luck! 

I'm planning to RAL - it's supposed to be warmer today. Yesterday it rained and snowed on and off all day, so I took a rest day.  It was about 35° and snowing lightly for DD's school homecoming parade yesterday afternoon, so only the drummers in her band had to play - too cold and wet for the other instruments. So they just marched. Happily, that meant the band didn't have to stick around for the game.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Just back from the Doc's Office.

To early yet for an xray to show a stress fracture. Doc said a bone scan would prove it but didn't see any reason to spend the money to confirm his clinical opinion at this point.

So.....Two weeks in a boot. Absolutely no training of any type. No cycling, ellipitical, no swiming. If and only if there is "some" improvement then I can return to activities that cause no pain.......but for right now it's total rest.

I have to trust this Doc.......He's a runner too. He's doing Chicago Sunday.

Mariposai

Ohhh what a lovely butterfly and cute dog. Thanks Sue, that picture made my day.

Lou, Got to live in the country to be followed by a(nice looking) tractor driver/horseman. It is great to see you and PDR recovering nicely from your last marathon...you are half way in to the asylum.

Go batman girl...she will be passing that driving test next time.

Holly, your meal today sounds delicious...wanna share the recipe?

Go weekend racers.

2 easy miles for me this morning to recover from yesterday's tempo run.

twocat, how is your DW doing with her training?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

SLO--so doc thinks it is a stress fracture?  That sucks and must be frustrating.  But it does sound like you've got a plan of action.

Holly-- I'm concerned that if I do nothing I'll get all stiff and tight, which won't help either.  So I'll probably get at least few slow miles in--or maybe even just walk.  We'll see. 

I said on divechief's RR that I needed to jog a marathon someday like he did.  Looks like that day may be coming sooner than I thought...unless I end up bagging it entirely and just wait for Philly in November.  Decisions, decisions.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sue, is Jessie a Shelty?    Beautiful dog.   I am consumed right now with taking care of my  kitty who is on Chemo.  I run in the woods to get my mind relaxed and focused.  Running is a great stress reliever. for me.

Happy runs for all the racers this weekend.

Mariposai

Ohh tramps I am so sorry to hear that the knee (?) is still barking at you. take care my dear boy.

I am an expert marathon jogger...just let me know when you need my wings to teach you how to do it...

Hi woods lady, I am sure enjoying Econo's tails from China.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps!! Oh no, don't think it, positive only. Is it nerve or muscle.  I usually go hot bath if it is nerve to loosen the grip on the nerve.  If muscle.. use the Stick, maybe ice.  I had a hamstring pull 2 weeks before Chicago 05 and got it a bit better, was using The Stick at the Expo.  It cramped at mile 7 and I spent 22 min in med tents bewteen miles 8 and 10 and then ran in in slowly the rest of the way enjoying every bit (and had a big negative split).

Then there was the Myrtle '06 DNS: Here's my log entry the first week of taper less than 3 weeks from the marathon and running was great just before this Tuesday (1/31/06) event:

"Right leg gave out!
                              Did 2 miles at 7:01 and 7:09 pace. Rested 3 min then 800m in 3:22 rested 90 sec. then almost did 800m but just before the hill right knee/leg something went "pop"; then leg colapsed a bit to the right pulling on the hamstring etc.  Gently jogged straight home.  Muscles tighed up, pain when football punt motion.  Same ole, same ole.  I can"t even believe this!!"

The 6 weeks before a marathon is where muscles are the most taxed, the aerobic system is in the best shape (to over do what the muscles can take) and enthusiasm and invincibility are maximized.  This is the Red Zone where most injuries occur. Risk can be reduced by ensuring enough recovery between hard efforts.  Good luck to all who are in the Red Zone!

Rest day for my knee Wink

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Woods Lady EconoMa,

I am glad you have a healthy outlet for stress.  Nice to run with nature.  (((((kitty on chemo))))

Sue. I cannot believe you posted that butterfly photo.  I just finished writing about my walk (over on KR).  I mentioned that I stopped and watched a butterfly.  

Then I clicked over here and, poof, there is the butterfly I watched this morning.

Veta and I had a nice walk in the swamp.  My dog.  And Sue's butterfly.  Heart.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."