Masters Running

Tuesday, JULY 22 Runs and such (Read 500 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Out for 3 pleasant miles this morning with the Brinkster. Large moon, 64 degrees and most importanty - NO humidity! Felt rather cool actually. Wink Splits were quite even Steven today too: 9:19 / 150 hr 9:14 / 159 hr 9:18 / 169 hr 300 crunches too. Happy 2s'Day Everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

You and I coulda run together Mary. 6 miles at 9:15 min/mile pace. Avg. HR 139. 'Course I had plenty of humidity! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Cranium – nice photos yesterday! {{{Sarge’s hamstring}}} Pro – did you say you ran 1.8 miles in 10 minutes? I don’t think my TM even goes that fast… Spareribs – forgive my memory, but does this stent procedure mean that you won’t have to have surgery in November? No run for me today – light x-training instead: bench presses, flies, lying hammer curls, squats (no weights), dumbbell curls, butterflies, crunches, planks, and wall-sits. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Morning Mary, thanks for starting us off. Your HR is improving all the time. Was the moon in the sky Wink Bet Brinkly enjoyed it. Myself and Woody went out for a 5m trail run, it was very warm with the sun high in the sky and a lot of the trail was dusty, stony and dry until the woods. Anyway: 5m 53:26 @ 10:42 pace AHR 150 70% WHR Good Runs All Roy Morning Bill and Holly, nice run Bill. I could run behin Mary and Bill so long as Bill's in front....... Big grin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. 300 crunches? Your abs must look like Dara Torres' (see BAP posr) Big grin Super steamy >70F dew point but I ran 1 mile repeats anyways. SR sugggested to Tim to run these slow enough so you feel like doing more when you're done... But I didn't feel like doing the first one it was so muggy Smile After about 3 mi warmup ran 4x1 mile with 100 sec jog intervals: 7:20 (156) 7:26 (161) 7:28 (163) 7:25 (165) Then 2 mi CD 9.3 mi in 1:21:52 (8:46)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hill Runner

Good morning all, 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:11 pace....I am starting to notice that the sun is a little lower in the sky and it's not as light out when I start...pretty soon we'll be running in the dark again... Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Mary - I'm totally jealous - 64 degrees with no humidity is awesome! Good run! Craneium - I love the sunset photo - very nice! The humidity went down just a bit today, so the run was reasonably pleasant (relatively speaking, of course). 7.25 hilly miles @10:11 pace. One of the lobstermen checking traps off of Avery Point always waves at me when our morning schedules happen to jive. The water was almost completely calm this morning - made me wish I was carrying a camera. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

A good start to the day for everyone so far, and we're set here to get Hopeful's lowered humidity later today. I didn't post yesterday's meager one-miler, but even that felt significant these days. Now I just have to resist the temptation to increase the distance before it's time. Ribs, you know I'm following your saga probably closer than most since we're of the same age and have a lot of the same general history, conditioning, etc. From your post yesterday, did it turn out that the catheterization wasn't enough and you have to go back in for a stent? I feel like I missed a post somewhere along the line. Have a good one today, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DickyG

Karin: That 9 year-old runner seems to have the determination of a lion...very impressive.
                    ...dickyG//..thanks,although my Mud Wrestling Career will suffer for it..........
                    Tom, Tom, Tom...for a true southerner, the proper pronunciation is "rasslin'" Sarge: Good that you're icing & stretching...running 4 miles took a lot of guts...don't think I could have done it. Also impressive that you stayed in the game..I also moved to second while my groin muscle was healing but I'm back out in left field again. Mary: Great run...that's an even-paced effort if I've ever seen one. Holly: Very strong workout... Perch: Killer repeats in this humidity.. High humidity here this morning...did 4 miles in 38:29 (9:37)...not all that terrific but I ran almost 3 miles before I had to walk...from that point it was walk 15 seconds, run as hard as I could for as long as I could, walk 15 seconds, etc. I'll run tomorrow but the rest of the week is iffy...tons of work Thursday & softball tournament in Richmond this week-end. DickyG
                    Tramps

Craneium—nice pics and welcome back Karin—I bet if you wore your heels you could still outrun me by a comfortable margin! Sarge—hang in there! Ribs—Glad to hear the good news of a less-invasive option. Mary—I had the same reaction to 300 crunches that Perch did. Big grin Roch—good to see you getting a mile in; nice and easy. Perch—Wow. That’s tough in this weather. Another scorcher here, so I dropped my plans for a tempo run and just alternated between “fast” and “slow” miles. 9 miles total; 5 @ 9:01, 4 @ 7:33. (Does that qualify as “mile repeats” or is that just cheating?) I also stashed a 20oz Gatorade in my mailbox and had half each time I went by. Easily triple digit heat index again today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks for the welcomes. Spareribs your check is in the mail once again for saying kind words about me. I got to catch up a little yesterday, loved the pictures of Riblet in Chicago, what a great city to take him to, so many things to do and everything so accessable, I hope he loved it. Good luck with everything going on with you Spareribs, I always like seeing you post, but more importantly like seeing you healthy. Tour de Holly hope to see you healthy and running the way you want again too. Anyone heard from Tim since his ankle injury? Ever since he signed off as TimBo I keep wanting to call him TimBo slice, but I will refrain...for now. I actually thought of him on my run today as I passed a newly posted sign on the Genesee Riverview trail warning of poison ivy. Did a nice steady 10.4 miles this morning at a comfortable pace. Didn't pay any attention to pace or distance until I was finished. Off to do some coaching work, then will hopefully get to hit the pool before kitchen cabinets get delivered today. Was tough walking away from those sunsets on vacation, but may get to go back for a bit when the kitchen is done. Good runs and recovery to everyone.
                          teresa, welcome back from a nice vacation and birthday. Tammy, good job on the trail race. craneium, welcome back and nice pictures. DickyG, I'm glad you got a good report on the colonoscopy. Sarge, take care of that hamstring. roch, it's good to see you easing into a comeback. Nice long runs for BC and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for perch and Dave. This morning it was in the low to mid 60s, almost calm, and fairly clear. I got in 6 miles in about 59 minutes for a 9:52 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, that is what a "wave" run is called. Tim does them. I think Holly has tried them and Gin on Kick does them do, as does MCSolar. I got the idea from Jim24315 and he got it from Tinman, who is one of the best running coaches in the country. Anyone wishing to learn more about this dynamic workout can write to me: spareribs823 at gmail dot com. Perch, that 100 seconds looks like a slow 200, is that about right? In these conditions I don't blame you. I used to milk that 200 for almost two minutes! In the cool weather you can get this to about one minute. Did the speed seem reasonable? That was a good workout. WRFB has not posted today, but since I can't post any runs, let me say that he did 5 miles at 8:43 pace. Ah, that felt good! Sorry not to be clearer on my situation. The catheter procedure was a "look-see" to better explore the condition of my heart, specifications, dimensions, where anything is clogged, etc. You can't see this on the echogram. When the catheter is injected, iodine ink is then released and the dr. can follow its path through every blood vessel. Last night I saw the films of this. There is one large blood vessel that is clogged up. This is calcification, not plaque. The doctor called it a "napkin ring" so you have a mental picture. On Thursday they will open this up with a balloon, then leave behind a stent, which will free up the blood flow. What this means is no open heart surgery in November. The dr. believes this procedure will alleviate my symptoms. We will treat the aortic valve stenosis by watching it, BP meds and cholesterol meds. What it does NOT mean is the valve problem is over. I probably will have to have it replaced, but if we can put it off for a few years the odds are great that I will only have to have ONE heart surgery, rather than one to replace the valve and another to replace the replacement later on. Mortality rates are high for older people having a second heart surgery. Let me just share one other tidbit with you. I cook every meal we eat in this family and we eat very healthy, believe me. I no longer eat red meat, love salmon, no caffeine, no butter and I'm a fruit and vegetable fanatic. If you are also diet conscious, don't think for a minute you are not susceptible to these issues. The doctor told me in response to my question about all this calcification (aortic valve stenosis is a tightening of the valve due to calcification) and he said it has nothing to do with the foods I eat. It's a good idea to have an annual physical and do the things your doctor suggests you do. Running does not do it all for you. Incidentally, a big thank you to Roy who suggested the website cardiacathletes.com, which helped me find valvereplacement.com, both forums like this one except all the posters are people with similar issues as I have. Very helpful. Spareribs
                              ......dickyG//.....yep, I knew that...... friend of mine brought a Lexington KY paper home, they're actually giving lessons in ''How Not To Sound Southern''.... (nobody had the heart to tell 'em WE didn't think they did ....). ======== ...but I digress...... ...30min eeeasy run......80's and no breeze We Don' Need No Stinkin' Breezes ............good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Good morning runners, Two mornings in a row of running at daybreak. 5 miles @ 9:16/mile pace. Have a great day, Paul