Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.2.18 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (New Year’s Day 5K at brisk, but not all-out pace - 28:03 by Garmin)
    Bioguy (4 morning miles with sun in 9° temps)
    Tomwhite (Plan B - 60 min on the NordicTrak with resistance & elevation)
    Tramps (5 miles with sun in 18° temps)
    Jlynne (6 TM miles at the Y + 20 min of weights & core)
    RunnerKSA (4.2 late-morning miles in sunny 12° with some N wind)
    C-R (4 blood-flowing morning miles in -12° temps)
    Catwhoorg (6 miles + 20 pull-ups in temps in the 20s with l/s first time this winter)
    Analogkid (6.1 invigorating miles in sun & N winds and 17° WC)
    Holly (7 TM miles with Bull.
    Quickadder (6.3 mid-morning miles with DD in high 20s temps)
    Wildchild (7.4 trail miles with a new friend in sunny, chilly temps in the 20s)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 trial miles in in wind-shielded 23° temps)
    Pfriese (6 morning TM)
    Deeze (1.8 pre-breakfast TM miles with a friend to complete the DGAFAOTH challenge +10 min AMT warmup + planks)
    Enke (walk with MBE + wood splitting cross-training)
    Surly Bill (10.5 trail miles with 1450’ elevation gain with temps in 50s/60s)

Mike (10/10.21 miles with Apple Watch & Garmin)

Falconfixer (6.1 miles in temps in the low 20s with wind)

Tet (Resolution 5K & PB Plunge in 37° air and 43° water - running the whole way)

Twocat (7 TM miles)

Tammy (5 afternoon escape miles)

Evanflein (6.3 TM miles)

Congrats, Mike, on landing a new job and getting away from your PITA boss!! Great way to start the new year!

Interesting to read about different people’s New Year’s Day traditions, and to see that so many of them involve being active.

Tramps, I understand and sympathize with the workout adjustments you’ve had to make, but still, I'll never complain about feeling old. I may complain about being tired, achy, sore, slow, etc., but never about being old. To me, even though some say I'm avoiding the obvious, it’s just not a good mindset.

Metalman, congrats on running 2K+ miles in '17!

After our company left just before midday yesterday and I got back from my 5K and got showered, I spent a big chunk of the afternoon making more Dijon and Cognac Beef Stew for DW and I. We like the increasing complexity of smells that take over the kitchen as the recipe progresses, and it is a very satisfying meal at the end of a busy day. Our next guest doesn’t arrive till Wednesday, so plenty of time to recover - a Dear Niece is coming to stay with us for 2 week and to do some photography and video work for our company. In addition to being talented, she is very charming, and we’ll enjoy having her around.

I didn't want to do a hard workout today, but it's difficult to go EZ when it's -2 out, so I stayed in and did a lot of stretching and exercises instead. So, on day #2, I'm already behind my pace bunny. But that's OK - it's always fun to ketchup.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Doing the stupid Lulu/Strava challenge so out I went in 3 or 4 degrees.  It was pretty awful and I was incredibly slow.  Maybe my first time in more miles than degrees club.    4.1 outside miles done.    1.5 miles on the treadmill at work before doing some weights this afternoon.  5.6 for the day.  Vandy basketball game tonight.  Should go well (not).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay, RunnerKSA and all to follow. Thanks for your recap Jay, and enjoy your break before the next round of company comes to visit! And that stew sounds amazing. You're braver than me, RunnerKSA.

Congratulations Mike!!! I hope you get an exit interview so you can tell your old boss (in no uncertain terms) why you quit. I hope the new job is everything you hope it will be. And tell us more about it.

-6° here again this morning, so 3.1 miles on the treadmill at the Y (the sign-up board is back up and running with all of the New Years resolution folks), 30 minutes on the elliptical and jumped into a TRX class for some core stuff.

Every New Years day, there's a Polar Bear Club with crazy people that jump into Lake Michigan near Jacksonport, Wisconsin. I wasn't sure it would happen because it's been below zero for the last couple of weeks, but sure enough - about 20 or 30 brave (crazy??) souls were there for the noon "jump in".  Lots of paramedics and firefighters on hand there too!

We went to see the new Star Wars movie yesterday. It was kind of sad to see Carrie Fischer in the movie, knowing that she passed away last year. If you've seen it, what did you think?

Tramps

Mike--yay on the new job!  Hope this works out well for you. Though I disagree with others' advice; never burn your bridges.

Jay--I get it.  I'm not whining, just being honest. All a little sooner than I'd anticipated or hoped for.

I used to aim for the year in miles (e.g. 2018) but that ain't gonna happen anymore so I set some other goals in the training log just to keep me honest:

--Run (3 x 5 miles) x 52 weeks = 780 miles

--Ride (20+20+30) x 52 weeks = 3650 miles

--[no goal widget for this one but...] strength/stretch exercises 3x / week

I'll fall way behind in the cycling this winter but should be able to make it up as the year goes on.

Any other resolutionistas here?

Just some exercises today.  A bit too chilly for riding. 

BTW, we goofed off over the weekend and watched Season 1 of "The Norsemen" on Netflix (just 6 30-minute episodes).  Worth a watch if you have it.  Smart and silly at the same time. Think of it as Game of Thrones meets Monty Python. Might make good treadmill fodder.

Be safe. Be kind.

''Mike--yay on the new job!  Hope this works out well for you. Though I disagree with others' advice; never burn your bridges.''

....I agree,

I had left a job in Lexington with the biggest JERK I had ever interned with,

never said a word,,

,,,,,,,,when I moved back 4-years later,  this guy actually recommended me for the Job

(and pharmacy jobs

are hard to come by in a town with a Pharmacy College)

==================

...4 degrees today (this gets Old Fast)

and

PT this afternoon

so>>>>>>>>>x-bike today

................good work-outs to ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

-2° when I got up. I went to the gym and ran 3 on the treadmill. Still quiet at the gym today but I imagine the after work crowd will be packing it it. I'll find out tomorrow when I stop there after work.

The cold makes the air very dry. I bought a dehumidifier on Sunday and have pumped 3 gallons of water into the air but I don't know if it has made much of a dent. I have an indoor humidity reading of 18% (up from 16%) but I don't know if the device is accurate. I looked online for other ideas on getting moisture into the air. One suggestion was hanging your laundry to dry instead of using the dryer. I was washing some towels at the time so I hung them around to dry.  Not sure if it did any good to the air and now my towels feel like sandpaper. 

Our house in Michigan had a dehumidifier hooked right on the central heating unit and it worked good, especially when we upgraded the heater and dehumidifier in our last few winters up there.

TammyinGP

Caught up on yesterday's posting - alot of folks checking in and that was great!

I echo my gratitude to Jay for the daily recap. I know that must take a chunk of time and note-taking to include everyone. 

NYE was like the 4th of July, or worse, in our area. Actually, because we are so dry here in the summer, with potential for fires at extreme, it tends to not be overly crazy on the 4th, but NYE gunshots and fireworks went on for hrs. Annie was stressed to the max, even pee'd her bed she was so nervous.   Bailey and Bella aren't phased by it, but there were so many complaints on our local community pages on FB about horses that were just running in their corrals, trying to get out, cows that were stressed, not to mention all the dogs. Even some calls by vets with PTSD having a real difficult time with.  I really loathe all the noise that people feel they have to make on NYE for hours on end and the stress and anxiety it causes animals and some people. 

CONGRATS MikeE!!  On both the new job and the Vikings win!  David has predicted since mid-season that the Vikes will be in the Superbowl. I hope he's right. Well, I mean since the Hawks won't be, I want another team I love to be there to make it worth watching 
                Is your new job along the same kind of work you've been doing? I sure hope the work environment is a positive place for you!

Today will be a rest day. Back to work today and getting things all organized. I've only worked a handful of days the last two weeks, so it feels good to get back to my routine.

Resolutions: not really a "resolution" maker here, but I guess if you set goals, which I know many do, that's pretty much the same thing right?   As far as running goes, my goal is to actually finish that 50K I signed up for, reach my 1000 miles running goal, and explore more trails. I live in such a beautiful part of the country and don't get out there nearly enough!

Tammy

Dave59

Any other resolutionistas here?

I set the widget for 1000 miles next year. First time I have used that feature here. But if my back starts to get sore again I will remove the widget from my log.

Resolutions - To not get injured in any way, shape. or fashion - after I get over this injury. 

Speaking of injuries - Take care of that knee, Posie.

Mike - A new job??  Congratulations!  Obviously, we're all excited for you and excited to find out what it is.  You deserve this.  And I agree with Tramps and Tom - Don't burn your bridges.  Leave with your head held high, knowing your did a great job in less than desirable conditions and that you deserve a better position.

I made it to work today, but it's amazing when you have the crud how much crappier you feel when you're moving around than when you're just laying around.  Crutching it the 2 blocks to work and then up the stairs almost did me in.  The next time my niece asks me to join them for Christmas, my first question is going to be, "Is anybody sick??"  My brother ended up coming down with this, as well.  

I gotta get my butt back out in my workout shed.  No doubt part of why I'm feeling so blah is because I haven't done anything in almost 2 weeks.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Misplaced runner...

Planned rest day with jump rope sets and the ARTC Plank Challenge.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

C-R

Congrats on the new job Mike! I hope you like it and they treat you well.

Hey Karen - I'm in that Lululemon thing too. Actually going to give my vouchers to DD. Forced me outside again today but we had a warm up. It was -4. Another day of more miles than degrees for me. 4.4 in 38. Got the layering correct. Wrong shoe choice as the roads are getting clear. I do have one question for you cold weather types:

How do you keep your goggles from fogging up? I wear a snowboarding half face mask and can't seem to get that part correct. Thanks.

Thanks for the recap Jay and enjoy the visit with your niece. I love to see great photographs like Adams' work. Can't do it myself but enjoy seeing it.

Cross training is good Tramps. I'm a fan now. Don't do it enough but will resolve to try more this year.

They cancelled our Polar Plunge this year due to the cold Jlynne. We southern midwesterners aren't as tough up Nort.

It's pretty dry here too Dave. Affects everyone's sinuses.

Get well Leslie

No real resolutions tammy except try to be a better me than last year.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...CR//.........the SnowGuys I asked

said ''spit''

or some stuff (I think tammy told me about) called ''Cat Crap''............I bought a can of it, but mostly to say I had a can of CatCrap

........turned out spit worked better......

==============

60-min x-bike

off to PT

.............leslie//........your New Years Mantra is-

If it Hurts when You Do Dat,,,,,,,,,,DON' DODAT

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Thanks Tom. That's what I used to do when snorkeling but didn't think it would transfer. Will try that tomorrow.

Have fun at PT.

...CR//.........the SnowGuys I asked

said ''spit''

or some stuff (I think tammy told me about) called ''Cat Crap''............I bought a can of it, but mostly to say I had a can of CatCrap

........turned out spit worked better......

==============

60-min x-bike

off to PT

.............leslie//........your New Years Mantra is-

If it Hurts when You Do Dat,,,,,,,,,,DON' DODAT

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

-10 here this morning.  Nope, not me.  TM in the garage instead.

Mike - YAY!!!  Please tell us more!

Took 15yo DD to the county testing agency to get her temp. license today.  Then I let her drive a little bit out on the country roads outside of town.  I have let her drive a few times in a big parking lot before, so she has an idea of the controls.  Still scares the carp out of me thinking of her driving.  The deal is that she has to keep a 3.0 GPA if she wants to get behind the wheel.  So far she has been keeping her grades up, is showing up on time for her job at Kroger, even working extra hours - so far, so good....

6 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne my DW quite liked the new star wars movie. I thought it was okay and glad we did not wait on any sort of line to see it. I think the real problem is that the writers need to learn how to write new characters. This time my feeling was that the movie was filled with a lot of old characters in new bodies with some wrinkle to make them different.

Tramps I avoid any running goals. That way when I come down with an injury I do not push through it to avoid falling behind. It is also why I train for a marathon and then try to pick one when I think I am ready. Rather than do it the other way round, select a marathon and then train to make that one particular race on that one particular day.

C-R you basically need to make sure the air flow through the goggles is not blocked by your mask, hat or whatever. The goggles should rest only on your skin (again not on your hat, etc.) and the clothing around them should not in any way cover the vents around the mask's exterior. That should pretty much keep your goggles fog free. If you are wearing glasses, you may need to get a pair of goggles with a built in fan. When I ski that is what I use. Most of the day I can leave the fan off, but every now and then it is a huge help.

It cracked 20° today (all the way to 22°!) so I went outside to do my 14 mile run. I am thinking of trying to get in my 20 mile run on Friday when it will once again pass the 20° mark. The problem is that with temperatures that low I really need to wear light long johns under my running pants. That is fine for runs of say 7 miles or less. But above that the additional resistance gets really tiring! Today's 14 mile run was pretty tough through the last half. I cannot fathom how tiring a 20 mile run will be. On the other hand, the thought of trying to do it on a treadmill . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/