Masters Running

Happy day before the 4th AKA July 3, 2016 (Read 26 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Everyone relaxing well?  Jay must be busy with the next set of guests.

A nice 6.2 miles for me this morning.  Added another section of uphill, so a little slower, but still satisfying, at a touch over 10 m/m average.  I also looked at my fastest speeds coming back down the big hill from yesterday.  6:45 pace is pretty quick for me, but then realized that Mike (and several other speed merchants around here) do that on the flat and for many miles.

Enjoy your day and celebrations of the greatest country around!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Stumps.

Ten mile cycle taper for tomorrow’s Independence Day 5K.

Holly - didn't you run the Moab too?

ps amy - maybe you can get it out of your system by coming up with 21 answers

to the puzzlemaster's question this morning for as many baseball terms

as possible that start with the the five letters of  "patio." 

(the contestant only struck out on "'T"

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...mornin' guys.......

well,

since the City has had a 1000-FOOT WATER SLIDE

in front of both the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches  Friday-thru-Monday

decided to skip church

and

go Biking instead

( just remember ''The Road to Hell is Paved'' )

===============

mid 80s this morning

60-min Bike Ride with Hill Repeats

went thru gears 1-7

then back down 7-1

......hopefully a HH Trekking Poles Hike

this afternoon when it'll be Hotter

.......good Running and Racting

eta-

tet//...........yep, us Little FreckleFacedBoys always use 70-Sunblock

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

On Wednesday I received a shot of Synvec (sp?) in my knee. The pain has gradually diminished. Yesterday I did 2 one mile walks with minimal pain. This morning (60 and low humidity) I did some faster walking and even a 1/4 mile jog around the local reservoir for 2.5 miles and felt OK. Then we took Marj's GD to the Boston Harborfront for kite flying (see FB) and more walking. Have I turned a corner? Don't know yet because I've been here before. Have an appointment this week to talk about a knee replacement. The shot may delay it. Was told that maximal effects may take up to 5-6 weeks and another shot is scheduled in 6 months (if this one works).

We're off to Vermont this coming weekend for a 5K- not sure if I'll do it unless I can finish a walk/run in a reasonable time.

Happy 4th to all.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Tet - I did run Moab, but didn't meet that woman.  I thought maybe Carolyn might have because she has run it several times.

Lots of house-cleaning cross-training for me today, plus 4 miles walking on the TM, and I almost have my 10,000 steps in addition.

I find that when I wear my Fitbit, I consciously make more trips around the house and up and down the steps, etc., which is kind of funny, but a good thing.

Rain all day here and more in the forecast for tomorrow, so I suppose many cookouts may be a bit wet.  DH picked up a shift tomorrow for the extra money, and I will likely work all day from home as well, trying to catch up.  We are taking a week vacation the last week of the month, which is the worst timing as far as taking off for my job, but it worked best for the family.  Anyway, I am trying to get caught up and even work ahead, if possible, before we go.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I went for a fun 15 mile trail run with two women friends.  All 3 of us are registered for a 50 mile race in 2 weeks - it will be the first 50 miler for both of them!  I'm feeling undertrained - 15 miles tires me out!  But I hope to do 20+ tomorrow, and see how I feel.

When I got home, I told my DH that I ran with women who're doing the 50 miler with me, and he hadn't realized I have a 50 miler coming up!  He said he doesn't keep track of my races, and honestly I don't talk about them much, since running talk bores him.  He's now mad at me, because he's told me repeatedly that running long distances worries him, and he thinks it's bad for me and makes me look old.   I just wish he could be more supportive of my ultra running.  He says he'd like to, but he just can't.  So we're at an impasse.  Do any of the rest of you get this from non-running spouses, and how do you deal with it?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Sorry to hear that, Carolyn. But I can tell you, while my DH is extremely supportive of my running and marathons with friends and travel and all that, he pretty much draws the line at ultras. I've done 3 50k's and will not likely do another anytime soon. I'm not sure what it is, the extra training, the additional injury risk, the time away from home (caused by the extra training), or what. I think it's a matter of drawing a line where a hobby takes over your personal life maybe. Interesting comment on the making you look old thing (?). Hope you guys can come to terms with it.

Holly, good for you on the extra steps. I was a slug today, and no amount of looking at my tracker was going to change that.

We had rain all day today, too. I decided I just didn't want to run in the rain again (it seems that's been the conditions every Sunday!) and given that along with the pesky foot/ankle, I just decided to bag it today. Will probably toast my mileage goal for the month, but if I want to run well and race well the rest of the summer, I need to take care of this foot thing now. So, probably no run tomorrow either. We'll see.

I did venture out for two hours in the garden though, and got the carrots and chard weeded and thinned. Then the mosquitoes found me, it started to rain again and I figured that was enough. The sun is out now though, so I might go out for a bit before making dinner.

Carolyn, I think it just must be the amount of time you are away running.  Your DH must not see how much you enjoy it.  Funny, MBE asked me the other day if I felt like an"STP widow", meaning, he is training for this "200 miles in one day" bike ride (STP: Seattle to Portland) and so spends pretty much every weekend logging a lot of cycling miles.  I answered, no.  For one thing, every other weekend I am with my kids, and on my weekends with him, he usually does lower mileage and I do my longer runs, so we are both working out about the same length of time, mostly.  Although I will admit, cycling does take longer!

Today I went for my longest bike ride since I was about 28 years old.  40.8 miles.  When I was 28, I did this 80 kilometer ride one day when I should have been studying for my comprehensive exam for my PhD.  I ended up failing my exam, not necessarily because it was spring/summer and I was out cycling instead of studying, but for a whole host of other reasons.

We stopped at 24 miles for a bagel and coffee.  I felt a bit dizzy and wiped out, which surprised me - I mean, a 12 mile run might feel a bit like that, but this was only 24 miles on a bike, going slow, with lots of stops.  Maybe it was the sun and wind.  Funny thing - we ran into two people MBE knew and chatted for awhile, so it was a pretty casual bike ride.  I felt better after the bagel and I managed the full 40 miles planned.  MBE  had done 85 miles the day before and yeah, he was away the whole day - he got up a 6:30 am while I slept in, then I didn't see him again until 4 pm.  Then he was wiped out and fell asleep.  I think he had TWO naps before we retired for the night.  Maybe this is your DH's issue, Wildchild.   It is a big time suck, and so I don't think I will ever be a big cyclist.  I rather run for 2 hours, than cycle for 5 for the same fitness, you know what I mean?  I have so many other things I'd like to accomplish on the weekend.

Those Segways sure look fun!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Debbie has had a few issues with my running...she worries that I am going to hurt myself...and she admits that she is sometimes jealous of the time it takes away from the time she feels that we should be together.  But, she also realizes how important running is to me and she would never want to take something that I love doing so much away from me.  So, basically, she has just accepted the fact that I am a runner and she deals with it.  There's a whole lot worse things I could be doing.

{{{wildchild}}.........Sadly, Non-Runners just Don't Get It.......

.....I've been lucky,

since this will be my 52 year of Working-Out for Fitness,

I have been doing it ever since Pickles knew me

and

as long as I get My Jobs Done, we're good

( if I DON'T get them done she Cooks Me Chicken.........and SHE CAN'T COOK)

===========

...that said........

I was getting ready for my hike yesterday,

and

as I was bending down to Lace Up My Boots

>>>>>>>>>>>BAM<<<<<<<<< The BackSpasm from Hell popped me

currently am wearing two Back Braces

and

won't be able to PoolRun WITH A DEFINITELY NEEDED belt til tomorrow

when the Y opens

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, meh

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

and he thinks it's bad for me and makes me look old.  

Seriously?  Has he taken a good look around at the other women your age?  You look awesome by comparison to 95% of your age group.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."