Masters Running

Shameless hill walking ....(Seafair Marathon RR) (Read 238 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

The theme and selling point the Seafair Marathon/Half Marathon was crossing the 520 Floating Bridge that spans from near Husky Stadium in Seattle to Bellevue, in fact even race shirt ( not a happy choice as far as color ,dark gray, and design ) and the medal had the image of the bridge . DH dropped me off at 5:45 to catch the shuttle bus ferrying the participants from near the finish line across the bridge to the start. I wanted to allow myself plenty of time before the race not knowing how long the lines of runners waiting for the shuttles would be. It seemed already very well organized, within seconds I was on my to the start line. Within minutes Enke spotted me (we had exchanged e mails previously with bib numbers and outfits descriptions), quite extraordinary since there where a lot of people around ( the total number of participants about 5000!). We found a spot to sit down and had a nice chat .We went to drop off our gear then lined up for ages for the Honey Buckets almost fearing we would still be in line when the gun went off. Everything worked out with time to spare and the race even started over 10 minutes late! I knew there were going to be some tough hills.....but I had not planned on so many of them....plus the weather so sunny and hot...I knew it was going to be a difficult run, better not even look at splits and pace...I just ran the way I felt comfortable, trying to enjoy the views and keeping my focus on drinking pleanty of water and chewing on those horrid margarita gel blocks that at least provided the well needed salt. The beautiful sun was beating down on us, and the last 9 miles or so of course were pretty much on open road with hardly any shade ...and the hills kept coming....the aid stations were really plentiful, also regular people giving out water bottles and out in force with hoses to cool down us tired and overheated runners...and what a sight, looking up towards the hill one would have thought of being in a march since everybody was walking ....then at the top everybody would start running again and on and on with this pattern till mile post 25 where volonteers, spectators and Police all promised it was going to be downhill all the way to the finish line!! Bottom Line : 4:10:50 chip time 7/23 age group 52/194 overall. I was really happy to cross that finish line and feel good, not dehydrated and with still strong enough legs. As I ran 3 slow miles this morning in the sun , not even as hot as yesterdays ,I realized that Seafair was indeed a pretty good day's work! Thanks for reading! Francesca
    wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, good job with less-than-ideal conditions. And you placed in the top third! It really must look weird to have everyone walking the hills - no runners at all. That really says it all about the heat. Cool that you got to meet Enke!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

No shame in walking those hills in that kind of heat - that was the smart thing to do so you could save your energy for later when you would need it most. And given the fact that you were able to go out for a nice recovery run today, means you ran a smart marathon yesterday and didn't overdo it in the seattle heat. Sweet time and overall placement too! Glad you & Enke were able to find each other in those crowds and pass the time.

Tammy

evanflein

Sounds like a grueling run with the heat and the hills. That time is nothing to sneeze at, that's for sure! How fun to have met Enke and spent some time together like that. Sure helps make the waiting easier. How many marathons and ultras is that for you so far this year?
            Having been there, all I can say is that is an EXCELLENT finishing time. You are amazingly fit. I wonder what you could do on a cool day. Ever wanted to run Boston? It was great to meet you and chat. I'll try to find you and your familly on the 4th to say hi. Maybe you'll win a pie! Enke

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

That was a great time in hot weather and hilly route! "Honey Pot" sounds so much nicer Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Good job! And congrats on the placement. (Where I grew up, the guy who owned the only port-a-pot business in town called them "Harvey's Honey Huts." I always thought that was a hoot!)

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi Francesca, Good decision to scrap the splits and just run on feel in that kind of heat. Even with that, you did remarkably well, given the hills and the heat. What's wrong with walking up hills? I do it all the time!! Big grin Congrats on doing well in a tough race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice marathon, Franc. With heat and hills you still did well. It's neat you got to see Enke. Congratulations. TomS

Top 'O the World!

Excellent job! Congratulations! Sounds like you'll get to hook up w/Enke some more Wink
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Maniac 505

Franc: that was a GREAT time on a tough tough course. We really regret not getting a chance to meet you, When Enke told us your number and what you were wearing, both Arf and I looked for you, no luck Sad Those were some ugly hills weren't they. Arf and I got to the bus line at about 6:00, the line was HUGE we finally got on a bus at 6:30. to the start at 6:45, we were wondering how many people would miss the start. the paper said, even with the 15 minute delay (to get more people to the start) 400 people weren't able to get to the start. What a difference, the 15 minutes between you and us? We also heard, one of the Kenyans got lost and DNF'ed. I suspect that they will use yet another new course next year, and again make it a loop. we will see. congrats again on a great time on a TOUGH course Dave
                          good racing Franc...hills and heat...you done good!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Good job, Francesca. After reading Enke's report I was wondering if anyone managed to do the whole 26.2, and you obviously did it with some really good results: well up in the field in spite of the walking. I only wish that I could do that time in cool weather on the flats Big grin.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

huskydon

Francesca, You did great! Congratulations! The hills and heat take a tremendous toll, but you finished feeling good, wow. It is tough when the hills are worse than advertised, for sure. The "shamelss hill walking" was definitely the way to go. It was cool you could meet up with Enke as well. huskydon

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Francelina - congratulations on finally running a marathon after three ultras in a row since April and especially being able to walk up the hills shamelessly after never seeming to have taken a walking step at all in all the 163.3 miles in your three ultras. As you know, walking without guilt is an important step for ultramarathoning and the only test that now remains for you is whether or not you can walk up the two five-mile ascents up to the top of Corral Pass and Sun Top Mountain too in the upcoming White River 50 Mile Endurance Challenge. Good luck! Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)