Masters Running

Newbies - The New New Thread (Read 664 times)

"This is stupid" and "I'm dying""

Oh NO. We'll have no negative self talk. Does nothing good for you. Remember what is impossible today is possible tomorrow. Baby steps if we have to. But we all get there. When I started swimming again I was in awe at people doing mile long swims. Now I am doing one and half mile swims and feel that longer is right around the corner.

Potter was good as usual. NOt too many geeks dressed up this year. Too bad. I like the geeks. I had a psuedo date. A guy from the kayak club asked to go with me and he's not even a Potter fan. If youre going to see the movie first see all the prequels then watch the new release.

Woods. Ewe. At least you missed the bear poop.

Congrats to both Woods and L's on moving up a week. Keep it up. You'll get there. Remember we all started out like you are.

Leg is really doing good. I can feel a sharp pain near the tear. No more dull leg pain or aches around my hips or knees. Change in pain is good. I think that means its healing.

Maybe someday I will rejoin you guys as a runner.

Good luck Linda.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Beginner all over again

Oh, a new tread, so fresh and tidy

I think my legs are starting to ache.

This is what happened to me 10 weeks ago, at the 4 miles/one hour mark.

Only I was sore all the time building up to that 4 miles/one hour point.

(This time I wasn't sore at all until the last couple runs.)

In May I cut back to one-mile and started Learn-To-Run from the beginning

Now, my lower legs are....tired?...I feel them....achey.

So........sigh.......I'm at my same place all over again, asking myself, Now what?

Actually, I am jogging 70 seconds whereas before (2 months ago) I was probably only jogging 30 seconds at a time.  So I am doing more running in the same distances. I guess this is improvement.

So I can either, run anyway.

Everything feels GREAT when I am running, it's the 36-64 hours afterward that I "feel it"

Or I can take 3 days off, try again, take another 3 days off.

I can't possible run any slower. I am running in the 12s and 13s pace when I am not on a walk break.  So I keep myself out of the 10s and 11s mile pace when actually jogging.  Anything slower and I'd look like a one-legged statue   So I think it's safe to say it's not Speed that is causing this.

Increased time on feet/legs?

Running more seconds every other week, and weekly adding a quarter-mile to the LR distance each week.

My plan and log seem incremental to me. 

I suppose I am just that Out Of Shape and should take a few days off ?

Or just run on it another run or two, see what happens?

lswife

I can't get FrancesRe quote on top of my reply. Oh well. 

Your struggle and Laurie's and other's encouragements - thanks!  Tomorrow I'm at it again- sort of stuck right before week 4 of C25K.  I'm trying to replace positive talk with negative talk - it's going better but still can't get to week4.  This is another week so maybe by Friday...?  Yeah, and I'm slow too.

Anything slower and I'd look like a one-legged statue 

dg.

hi guys.

quick post.  (I hope)

Frances, I'd need to know more to really have a good opinion... not that I really know anything but at least I could look at my own experiences & see what worked, or didn't.  I will look more at your log when I have more time... but can you describe a little more what  'feel them' means?  How achey?  Always, or just when you do certain things?  Feeling things seems pretty normal to me, as is some degree of ache.  but I know you had an actual injury, and want to avoid that.  for now, here are 2 links to look at.  http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Ce-Do/Delayed-Onset-Muscle-Soreness-DOMS.html   http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm.   

Hi Roberta..  at least, you deserve positive talk with yourself for not giving up!  really, that is worth so much.  I also had a thought about your DD's personal worst comment.   this is probably over simplifying, but I hate to see you worrying about that.  And who am I to say anyway.  But...   if you are really doing your best, in preparing for this race, etc. etc.   then in a way no matter how it turns out it's not your worst.  I know, in a way it is.  but circumstances change, you go through different issues with health & timing & injuries & stress.   So doing the best you can with those circumstances ... how can you criticize that?   sorry didn't mean for this to seem like a lecutre!!!  just tired & out of time.

more things to get to, tomorrow i hope.

had my longest run today, at least by a little (thanks Kevin Smile )   12.17. or .18, I forget.   Not zippy, but fastest at the end.

most important...... LInda... good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!   Let us know how you are as soon as you can!!  (ask DH nicely to bring your laptop.  tell him it's for us, not for you. ;-) )

Frances, possibly shoes. Are you stretching before and after? I think maybe a sports med doctor would be helpful too. Are you cross training? Seeing a massage therapist could help too. Also your form could be bad. I recommend taking a chirunning class and working on your form. You can buy the dvd too and study it that way. Chirunning.com. I almost quit running because it was such a struggle. Then I took a chirunning class and that made a world of difference.

When I start the negative self talk I try to replace it with positive thoughts. First I think of anything but running. Look at the scenery. Listen to my favorite music while running. Then if the run gets too hard I talk myself into running just a bit further...just to that next tree or mailbox...small goals. Also try to imagine yourself running the olympic marathon. Those runners are tired and struggling but they keep going. I pretend I am them running the lead and just keep going. There are all kinds of tricks to get rid of the negative self talk.

Negative self talk will destroy you everytime. So replace those thoughts with positive ones. Talk yourself into being a strong runner. Isnt running 90% mental or something like that?

My leg is really doing better. The constant ache is gone. The constant feel of the sharp cut is gone. I heal sooner after a workout or yard work. I am aiming for Sep to begin running again. If I get insane and start mentioning running before then I want you all to talk me out of it.

Light workout today at LA fitness with kayaker dude. We had a real date last night. Dinner and walking around town at night. Wow for the first time I didnt feel like one of the guys.

Good luck Linda. Post here when you can!

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

My leg is really doing better. The constant ache is gone. The constant feel of the sharp cut is gone. I heal sooner after a workout or yard work. I am aiming for Sep to begin running again. If I get insane and start mentioning running before then I want you all to talk me out of it.

Light workout today at LA fitness with kayaker dude. We had a real date last night. Dinner and walking around town at night. Wow for the first time I didnt feel like one of the guys.

September?  Ok Laurie.  We'll remember that.  It's so great you're doing better!!   What do you think finally made the difference?     And cool about your date.

Meant to say yesterday, thanks for the new thread start.

Frances, I agree with Laurie, Chi Running might really help you.

Mike how many miles today?   I went to the Art Fair Saturday.   But I didn't make it to where we spend the most time, & I do like that one best.  I started at the other end.   Next year I flip back again. 

Woods Lady.... thanks!   You are very kind.    And not snoopy....  I'll talk about my running plans anytime. Smile. It's nice to be asked.  Esp. when mine aren't so exciting compared to what a lot of people around here are doing.   Still, i think most of us put our whole hearts into what we're doing.     Yep, it is a marthon I'm training for right now.  My first, obviously.  The injury thing we can talk about another time, maybe we can compare notes/strategies.  But I signed up for it (a mid Oct. marathon) in Dec., & re-injured a few things the first week of January.  It's been interesting.     This summer... I don't have much planned, though there are some tune-up races included in the plan. How about you?  I'm supposed to do one next weekend, but I don't see one around here that I'd like to run.   I'm very impressed by your racing!!! 

back to work.  more later, as usual.

Me

September?!?  Are you sure?  That sounds pretty early to me.  Did you clear that with your butt guy?  Congrats on your real date.  That's cool.

Debbie,  I didn't run today.  I got home (from my real date) around midnight last night.  So. . . I called it a rest day.  I did run 10.3 miles on Saturday.  I picked up the pace on the last mile and finished very strong.  I'm sorry I missed the art fair.  I hope you had a great time.  Did you buy anything?

Roberta and Francis, I'm so sorry your struggling.  Take your time.  The important thing is that your are NOT sitting on the couch.  I know I speak for everyone here when I say we are all proud of you.

I get to go kayaking next weekend!

Cheers,

Mike

Rindaroo

Hi all -

I got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon - nice to have this be outpatient & not spend a bunch of time in the hospital.  So, the gallbladder is out, the surgeon said my liver looked good Smile  and  I'm all doped up on pain meds.  Should be better in a few days..

Laurie - day by day, okay?  If you're not ready to run (your body not your mind), then wait til your ready.

Frances - just keep swimming...  you will get there.   I agree with Mike, you are doing something & that's what counts.  I have had a rough road for years now due to the asthma (or let's hope the gallbladder), but giving up is never a possiblity.  I always start out at 13 minute miles, and increase as my body is ready.  Yeah, its slow, but its something, and I always know that if I continue it will get better. 

Okay off to rest...

dg.

Linda, I'm so glad you're home & ok!    Great news about your liver too.   Can't wait to see how you feel after this.

Mike, Smile.    See new shoes have all kinds of benefits.    

Nice run Saturday!

I was sorry you missed it too.   Almost bugged you to show up but didn't get around to it.   I did have a nice time, after a while anyway.  At first I kept wondering why oh why I was shuffling through that crowd!  Did get just a couple of mugs.   I never got to some of the other things that would have really tempted me.

Roberta, Frances, Mike is right. 

This is a cut back week for me.  (should I admit I just heard a 'yay!' in my head?).   I am bumping the miles on the plan (this is a new idea, I've been doing it already but not really with forethought) because I looked it over this morning, oh eek.   I don't think there's quite enough in there to prepare for this race.  or we could call it a LR. Wink .   but since I started late I can't do all that much more anyway.   sooo I thought just a little more each run, maybe.  by a percentage.  this morning accidently turned out just about right.  plan asked for 4.5, I did 4.92. 

Hi Newbies!   I'm happy to say I will be getting out to the woods trail and road soon today.  First time in a while.  I have a month before my 1 year anniversary run of 4.4 at the Scandia Run.  So I have my training plans pretty well figured out.  Econo' says to do at least one hot weather run a week, but the temp here at noon is 57 today.  Think I will bundle up and wear a hat.

dg,  I also am looking for a race to do on the weekend of Aug 1, and can't seem to find one.  I'd like to do a 5K, not too far from home.  Usually there are gobs of races to choose from, but this time they all seem to be relays or ultras, etc.  Good luck on your search.  Hope you find one.  

Hey  flyin, yep - baby steps - the way to go.

FrancesRe.   70 sec. is good!  Over a minute.  Do you walk/run every day or every other?  Guess I could just check out your log.  Hang in there.  

Good runs, and walks too, to all of you.   Woods Lady 

Me

Mike, Smile.    See new shoes have all kinds of benefits.    

Yes they do.

4 miles for me this morning at a blistering pace (for me anyway).

Cheers,

Mike

Beginner all over again

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the kind and helpful words!

DOMS, is what I thought it was, and it sounded like it from that article.

It seemed to improve significantly around hour 60+ so I went ahead and ran "on the third day" instead of taking Three Days Off.

Felt great running it (always does, never hurts or aches when in jogging)

Today, not really that sore .......at all.

I love rest days !

I can't understand why everyone doesn't like them, or feels as if they need to run when they should take a day off  *wink     

I think I will increase Run/Walk Ratio :10 seconds per week on my shorter Tu/Th :40 minute runs, but trail to an older/easier Run/Walk ratio for the weekend Long Runs.  Keep the LR at least :30 to :60 seconds lower ratio on the Long Runs.

Maybe that will give my legs some time to get accustomed to :10-second Jog-segment increases per week on Tu/Th's before I have to subject my legs to LR twice as long at that increase.

And/or maybe I should just be sure to take my 2-days-off-in-a-row after the LR.

And yes, I only Run/Walk  3 times per week, never intend to go out 4 days per week.

I'm just going to keep it at 3 days forever  *wink.

That gives me Every Other Day And a Two-Day Off each week.

I've been "swimming:" (arms exercise)  3 times so far on my Off Days.

I'm tempted to bicycle once a week but lately my lower legs have been DOMS so I haven't thought it wisest to get on the bike on Non-running days.

Mental note to get into my gym and see whether there is some kind of Rowing/Upper Body workout machine for XT days. 

lswife

7am - got up, groaned when I thought about running

7:30ish - told myself not to think about running, will do it "later"

8:00ish - groan, talking myself into doing it "tomorrow"

8:45 - decided to get my running shorts/tshirt on "just in case"

8:55 - turned the treadmill on, groaned, decided to just walk; turned TV on to something to keep my interest

9:00 - decided to walk just 10-15 minutes

9:05 - wondered if I could still run 90 sec (week 3)

9:15 - running was okay, kept negative thoughts out and concentrated on TV even the commercials

9:20 - no problems at all except pouring sweat; hey, this is fun; forgot that the first 10 minutes were the hardest

9:35 - even ran more than week 3 required and felt great

Thanks for the hints and suggestions!

Frances, "I should just be sure to take my 2-days-off-in-a-row after the LR". I agree. Especially if youre legs are getting achy. You could always make first day off a yoga/stretching day and 2nd day off a swim/bike/rest day. I always took 2 days off after a long run. Then my first run back was a recovery run (short easy).

L's. Good job. Not many of us see the treadmill as fun. But at least you ran. Sounds like you are making progress. Tip #4 (or whatever). Write poetry in your head while you run. Keeps you mind busy.

WooHoo Linda! So glad to hear youre home and doing well. My spirit guides and psychic advisers say you will recover in record time and your running/life in general will be much easier.

Mike, what is blistering pace?

Eliz, kayaking and pics when you can.

Deb, youre doing well and have good advice you have for L's, Frances and Woods.

1.5 mile lake swim. Felt good. 10 mile easy bike ride with Ali. And 1 hour workout at LaFitness. Felt good all day. But then yesterday I went to swim class and was completely wiped out! My form went all to hell. Every inch ached. My instructor was frustrated because I had perfected freestyle and breaststroke and now I was looking pretty bad. I over did it on Monday. Today 14 mile fairly fasted pace bike ride. Leg is steadily improving. Looking forward to an early morning bike ride with kayaker dude. Trying hard not to get swept up in this thing.

Laurie

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys--a quick message from the passanger seat heading norht on 495 in MA.  just spent two+days in Spring Valley NY cleaning up a coustomer's design problems.  Major problem was that he didn't hire us to do the design    Air cards are a wonderful thing!   Ended up not running either day--first day becasue we go down late and the extra hour of sleep felt REALLY good.  Then to day someone was on the treadmill, and I didn't feel like running laps around the hotel parking lot.

Linda--sounds great how everything has gone so far.  pretty amazing to have that as day surgery!  Hope things continue to go well and you do find that this was affecting other things.  Very happy for you.

greetings to everyone else--computer battery is on its way out so want this out before it dies.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.