Masters Running

Friday, April 30 Daily runs (Read 583 times)

OK.....rest day for me, but I will kick this daily snowball off the hill to get us going.

End of week.........end of month...........it all happens today.

Good running month for you?

Have a great day and God bless America

Joey

Vista
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A fine month of running.  246 miles, one of my highest ever.  Just over mononucleosis for 6 months, ended the middle of last month.  On no specific training, I was able to run most of a sub-4 marathon before they closed the course, and I still feel good.  Rolling along.  Roll roll rolling along.  Another 7 this morning.
      Slo

Keep plugging away Trent......6 months recovery from mono...whew..no thanks.

I haven't looked at my monthly totals yet.

Wasn't I just bragging about my legs feeling strong.   damn, last night I struggled thru a 6 mile run. It didn't matter if the 25 mph winds were at my back or my face....dead legs. Temps were also approaching 80 degs, the warmest I've run in yet this season.

An easy 5.25 this morning.

After having accepted an offer on our house and then the purchaser backing out we had another showing last night....and another offer ! And it's a better offer ! Credit to my DW......she really has the place decorated nice.

Anyway.....better get busy.  Run masters run!

Great month there, Trent!

Best wishes for your mom, Econo. A tough thing to go through for certain.

Even with better weather than usual in April, I seem stuck in the measly 50s for running mileage. I'm really hoping to do better in May when it warms up some more. Maybe that's why I'm also part of the crankiness brigade lately.

No running today, but I'm heading out on the bike in an hour or so and hope to get in 30-40 miles at a casual pace.

Good luck to our weekend racers (and everyone else as well)!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks for starting us off Joey!   Is is great to have you back amongst us.

Wow Trent - great mileage!!     I can't believe you had mono for 6 months!!

Hugs to {{{Woodlady}}} and thanks for the update Econo!   You need to stop in more often.   I am so happy that she has running to help her through this difficult time.

Erika - I had to chuckle reading your post about being grouchy.   I remember when that happened last year. 

I have to admit I've been a bit on the grouchy side too this week.   DH and I went to dinner the other night and the waitress, who was young enough to be my daughter, kept calling me "hun".    That was really pissing me off.  Then we waited forever for our meal.   DH just looked at me and said "you are getting mad aren't you".   Ya think???     We made it out of there without me making a scene though.   Not that I have ever done that ....

Maybe it is due to the full moon.  

Resting today for tomorrow.   Big grin

ETA:   That is great news on the house sale Slo!     Sorry you had a tough run last night.

Doug - I've been in the low-mileage club too, but you have been getting in some great bike rides - that counts too!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tips are very useful for making a statement, Mary

Haven't run yet, but I'm about to go out.  Unlike Trent I think I had like my worst month ever, mileage-wise -- 85 so far.  I've been sidelined a bit but maybe, hopefully am getting past that now.  Cautiously optimistic.

Late start for me but we had to work a "maintenance window" last night for a satellite test.  Started meeting with folks all over the country and in Canada at 11pm and finished the test around 2:00am.  After some post processing work left the office at 2:30.

<yawn>

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Excellent mileage Trent!  You and CNY need to get together! 

Slo, good news on the house!

Thanks for the WoodsLady update Econo.  I was wondering where she was.  You are right to be proud!

Hey Hun ... oh never mind ... 

We're going up to UF really early tomorrow morning for DS's GF's Graduation.  We're really looking forward to seeing both of them and GF's family as well.  This will make it hard to get in a good MLR but I'll see what I can manage - maybe on Sunday.

5 miles this morning at 8:55 pace.  I sprinkled in a bunch of fartleks and striders; each of which felt harder than they should have for the speed I was going (tortoise-like).  The weather is warming up down here.  We may see low 90's early next week.

I've got much to do to get ready for a PR attempt at Bayshore.

I told Tinman about my Boston experience last night and told him I was going it alone for a while.  I'm both happy and sad about that at the same time.  I told him I'll be back as Goal races appear on my radar.  He now has at least one slot open if anyone wants the help of a real pro.  runfastcoach@gmail.com

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to MaEcono and Wood Man. I too was wondering about her. Thanks for the update Econo.

April was good to me. I was able to run a marathon and I 140 miles, that is if I fit in a run t his afternoon. My dream for May is to start running more in the woods.

Divechief, not a chance for me to be in Tacoma next week, but next year I must pay closer attention to when the MM's reunion will be so I can set aside the day for it. A hug to the taper boy if you see him there. Also a hug to Francesca.

Man, I ache for wanting to chase Ribsy in his heart marathon...that would be sooooooooooo much fun.

[[[enkie]]]] you just got to drive alone to my house for a weekend....some country fresh air will do you a lot of good and I would LOVE the company. Hey, wanna come next weekend? My guys will be gone...we could have a slumber party and run a little 5k together. Just a thought.

Aamos, como estas mi amiga?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Joey... thanks for starting us with that Presidential opening

Trent.. I thought they were to close the course for runners slower than 4:30? Nice mileage. That is very encouraging for others who might come down with mono!

Slo-- congrats on the offer!!

Lou... my worst mileage months are always April (lowest was 4 miles! in 2007) Most injuries seem to go away after 6-8 weeks no matter what you do for re-hab.

Byll... another marathon so soon?  Wow!

2 mile walk with the dogs at 13:55 pace and that felt good. Another test run. This time it felt ok.

Short but sweet:

2 miles in 16:27 (8:13 pace). Some sub 8 pace got the HR up to 177. Haven't seen that in a long time.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

After having accepted an offer on our house and then the purchaser backing out we had another showing last night....and another offer ! And it's a better offer !

OK, now I'm pi*%#d off! We've had our house on the market over two months now - one showing and a bunch of "tire kickers."  Good for you, Slo. The market must be stronger down there.

I love Joey's posts.  You're always so upbeat.

Hey Mary - good luck with your race tomorrow hun!

Whoa, Trent. 246 miles? In one month? Just had mono six months ago?  Unbelievable....

Sorry you're still on the healing list, Lou. Take it easy coming back. What's brewing this spring? Did the Boston bunch clean out your reserves?

Have fun at DS' graduation, Bill. After running Boston, don't you think that will help you run a better Bayshore? You've been training so well.

Last volunteer shift at the homeless shelter this morning. i asked one young guy where he was going now that the shelter was closing down (the city will only allow them a license from Nov 1 through April 30). He told me he and his buddy had a "lean-to" in the woods just out of town. Wow. I know people say that a lot of homeless are that way because they're lazy and won't work. This kid is bipolar and is the sweetest guy - when he takes his meds. Sorry, I'm not trying to be "preachy" this morning, there are just some sad people in this world.

On the "up" side today, I saw the young Tim out running late yesterday afternoon. Same drill - long wind pants, no shirt, only this time he was "chatting" with a cute little girl running next to him. Ahh, Timbo....remember those days?

Slo

OK, now I'm pi*%#d off! We've had our house on the market over two months now - one showing and a bunch of "tire kickers."  Good for you, Slo. The market must be stronger down there.

We just happen to be in that "hot" price range. 1st time buyer type home......we have it aggressively priced and even at that I'm worried about it apprasing out at sale price. Many homes have been fallng short.

Two months is really a pretty short time on the market......and we are just starting to get into the busy season. I wish the best of luck ! 

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Trent – mono – what a drag!  I haven’t known anyone who had that since high school, and they were out of school for weeks and weeks with it.  Were you still able to run at all?

Slo – great news!

Taper and marathon recovery have really put a dent in my April mileage – 184.2, the lowest month in at least a year, although it’s hard to tell from my log, because when I get a monthly mileage report for the last 12 months, it only gives me a graph, not actually totals, so I just have to guess from the picture.  Anyone know how to fix that?

I forgot to mention that I ran into Francesca during the Boston Marathon.  I heard a runner behind me say “Hey Maniac” and I turned to see it was Francesca.  I gave her a joyful hello and we somehow managed to exchange hugs, all the while running, before she slowly pulled ahead.

Normally Friday would be a rest/x-train day, but the weather was so lovely, and thunderstorms are forecast for both days of the weekend, so I switched out with tomorrow.

8 easy-paced (ave 10:20) miles in a breezy 60 degrees.  My legs are beginning to feel more energetic.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

My 'plan' called for 4 miles at half-marathon pace.  I did that plus a skimpy half mile warm-up and cool-down for a total of 5 miles.  I gave up the idea of a PR in my June race, but I am hoping to run around 2 hours so I practiced my 9:00 pace.  Actual splits were 9:02, 8:49, 8:45, 8:52.

April running was down a little because I had a sore calf the first couple weeks.  Everything else was pretty much normal.

dg.

Good Morning!

Trent – mono – what a drag!  I haven’t known anyone who had that since high school, and they were out of school for weeks and weeks with it.  Were you still able to run at all?

Slo – great news!

Taper and marathon recovery have really put a dent in my April mileage – 184.2, the lowest month in at least a year, although it’s hard to tell from my log, because when I get a monthly mileage report for the last 12 months, it only gives me a graph, not actually totals, so I just have to guess from the picture.  Anyone know how to fix that?

I forgot to mention that I ran into Francesca during the Boston Marathon.  I heard a runner behind me say “Hey Maniac” and I turned to see it was Francesca.  I gave her a joyful hello and we somehow managed to exchange hugs, all the while running, before she slowly pulled ahead.

Normally Friday would be a rest/x-train day, but the weather was so lovely, and thunderstorms are forecast for both days of the weekend, so I switched out with tomorrow.

8 easy-paced (ave 10:20) miles in a breezy 60 degrees.  My legs are beginning to feel more energetic.

Holly, try "New Search", choose a date range, & then 'group result by' month.        184.2 lowest for a year???? Wow.   you are amazing.    Glad for energetic legs.     Mine are too.   ;-). 

wildchild

Carolyn

Slo, congrats on the 2nd offer!  The tax credit expires today, right? 

Joey, nice start to the daily, but please don't mention snowballs.    I'm so tired of snow.

Bill, have fun at DS's GF's graduation. Has she decided what to do next, since she didn't get into vet school? (Hope I'm remembering that right)

Nancy, I'm looking forward to running in the woods more, too!  Our mountain trails should be free of snow pretty soon.  Trail running is so good for the soul!

Yesterday I had a lunch meeting so no RAL, and I had to  pick up DD after school so I thought no time for a RAW.  But DD called and said she was going to the mall with her friends, and could I pick her up late?  She said, "Mom, maybe you could go for a run."  She's got my number!  How could I say no? 

By the time I stopped at the trail head, I only  had 25 minutes to run, so I tried to channel my inner Jlynne  and run fast.    I wasn't nearly that fast, but my average pace was actually in the 9's for the first time in ages!  (OK, it was 9:55, but I'll take it.)  I was cold at the start so that helped run faster, plus it's downhill on the way out. I tried to keep a fast pace back uphill and was pleasantly surprised to average under a 10 minute pace! Miles were 9:31, 10:12, 10:08 last half.   Thanks, Jeanne, you're an inspiration to me.    And while I'm at it, thanks to all of you for providing the motivation and cameraderie that makes this such a special place.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.