Masters Running

Thu Aug 20 Runs and Workouts (Read 454 times)

still no baby.  dd1 has been in labor since maybe 6pm last night.  she's had an epidural so is a bit more comfortable.

Little recovery run for me

3.1 miles, 29:48, 9:31/mi, AHR 137 (70% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

August 20, 2009 - a great day to be born.

Started with some fizzy lifting, then did 15 miles in 2 hours.  Had the headlamp, but didn't need it. Lots of street lights where I ran (including going onto the perimeter road at the airport - my old stomping grounds).  That's the big difference between city running and country running - more lights and fewer critters at night in the city.

Manchild

Good Morning!

Good luck to your dd1 Lou!  Nice 15 miler PBJ!  I much prefer country runs but you play the cards you are dealt!

I was out by 6 for an easy 4.1 mile jaunt on a meandering horse path and some fire lanes through the state forest behind my house.  Very warm and misty.  Alot of cobwebs strung across the path at about eye height made for an interesting run.  The spiders quickly repaired their webs for my return but all in all a greta run!

4.1 miles 39:05, 73 degrees, clear but hazy...

Great days and runs to all!!

Tinman originally had me scheduled today to do a 9 mile progression run - the first 3 miles at 5K + 2 minutes (9:20), the next 3 miles at 5K + 90 seconds (8:50), then the last 3 miles at 5K + 60 seconds (8:20).

But then I told him of my struggles last week and he changed today's workout to a fartlek of 11 miles with 11 x 2 minutes at 10K pace (7:40) with 2 minutes jog recovery.

So I was debating which of these two workouts to do.  The smart approach would have been the fartlek workout he changed to.  But I had been sorta looking forward to the progression run to air out the cobwebs a little.

So what did I end up doing?  Neither!

I tossed and turned all night about a variety of life stuff and finally decided it would really be smart to sleep in and catch up on my rest.  Now I feel terrific and the workout decision can wait till tomorrow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!!

Lou - hopefully today is THE day!  I'm sure  DD1 is hoping the same thing.

Congrats, Perch!!

Nice running already, gentlemen!

Still hot and humid here in anticipation of Hurricane Bill heading up the coast line.  Hope he clears the air when he goes through.  DH and I had to take separate vehicles today, so I transferred the doggie duties to him so I could get in 9 miles on the track.  I felt incredibly sproinky in spite of the heat, so the easy run turned into a comfortably hard run.  9 miles @ 9:45 and 159 AHR.  Wish all of my runs in the H&H felt so good. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

August 20 will be a nice date to have a birthday.

Started feeling “bleh” yesterday afternoon and worse as the day went on.  Nothing serious, just feel like I’m fighting off something.  Didn’t feel any better this morning so I bagged the run and got an extra hour of sleep.

A good running friend is working as an election monitor in Afghanistan this week, something he’s done on a number of occasions elsewhere.  This is probably the most volatile situation he’s been in yet, though.  I’m hoping all goes well today; so far, so good.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Hello masters

Very nice run PBJ

Bill.....a little extra sleep can be an amazing thing. Here's to an awesome run tomorrow !

I logged 5.2 miles at 7:54 pace today. In a light rain, 64 degs......it feels so good. I'm am very happy with my running right now.....wish I felt that way about my bike.....It's been pretty neglected this year.

After I finished up my run this morning I was already yearning for more. As I was sitting in our monthly safety training this morning and I had a strong desire to just go run. I haven't logged weekly distances over 40 miles for this long since the late 1980's. (There's a big Thanks owed to Hollys 40's thread)

Anyway......gotta ride the wave when it's there!

Tramps

As I was sitting in our monthly safety training this morning and I had a strong desire to just go run.

I've sat in lots of meetings that I wanted to run away from. 

Glad your running's going well.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

PBJ.. I love that 15 in 2 hrs it's a nice even 8 min pace.. all the numbers are whole! That will be my target later this cycle!

Good luck beergbaby.... it's ok, you can come out now!

10 miles in 1:26:35 (8:39 pace) with 2 dog miles followed by 8 miles at 8:26 pace in the embracingly warm 73° with dewpoint 72° (92% humidity).  I wonder how much engery it takes to sweat? say KW-hrs per pound of sweat??

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

We just got home late last night from backpacking in Wyoming.  Good trip - the weather turned cold and it snowed the day before we got there, which got rid of the mosquitoes!  Yay!  A bit chilly on Sunday, but it warmed up a bit more each day.  And the snow on the peaks looked so pretty.  I'll try to post pics in a few days.

Today is DD's first day of her senior year at a new high school.  She wasn't really into the backpacking trip because she was looking forward to school so much.  Hope it's going well for her so far...  changing schools when you're a senior can be tough.

Good luck to Dawndaughter!  Those good hormones that kick in after giving birth make it seem like it wasn't so bad!  And of course holding the little bundle of joy also  helps erase the days of worrying and waiting!

Steve, congrats on the new job! 

Hope to get a run in at lunchtime, even if it's hot, because we're taking our Japanese friends out to dinner tonight so no time later.  Our male Japanese friend liked backpacking, but his wife had a hard time (and walked very slowly) so we cut our planned route short. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Back in mostly-lurk mode again, as I'm trying to squeeze the last bit of fun out of summer and help my mom manage severe back/hip/leg pain at the same time.  We're back in PA for the day again today, for an MRI and a follow-up with the doctor.  I'm regretting that I didn't go into the exam room with her the last week and make it clear to the doc that this woman is no whiner, and when she says she's in severe pain, it's time to get serious about helping her instead of telling her to "try 10 more days" with the same pain meds that weren't working this time last week.  OK, I'm done ranting now.

I ran in temps in the mid 80s and crazy humidity on the boardwalk yesterday morning.  Only managed 2.5 miles before the HR got screwy, so I walked a little and then ran some more.  Total:  3.5 miles running and 4 miles walking.  Minimal achilles pain all day, even with a lengthy beach walk, all in soft sand, last night, so that's good news.  

We're hoping to get back to NJ this evening, but just in case, I have my priorities straight:  the only clothes I brought with me are running clothes and shoes!  If I'm still here this evening, I might as well add the hills of my PA neighborhood to the heat & humidity mix!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

she's had an epidural so is a bit more comfortable.

I loved my epidural.............didn’t have one with my first....boy was THAT a nightmare.....

PBJ – what kind of headlamp do you have?  I’m thinking of getting one, but don’t know if it will drive me crazy wearing it.

Breger – I think that was the wise choice.

Wildchild – I’d love to see the pics!

{{{Eliz’s mom}}}

76° and 100% humidity at 5am made this the warmest morning I've seen so far this summer.  What does 100% humidity mean anyway?  It wasn’t raining.  (Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.)

School back in session means that I need to get back to the house from my run 30 minutes earlier every morning to make sure the kids are up and motivating.  Once I ascertain that they are awake and dressed(ing), I can hop on the TM for 20 more minutes or so.  I like to use this TM time for some varied intervals, which makes the TM time go faster, plus I think it is good for my running to add some speedy paces at the end of my workouts.  But mostly I do them because they’re kind of fun.....

Tempo day on the FIRST plan (3 miles @7:44).  I didn’t even try for that, though, didn’t feel like I had ANY speed in me today.  It was just too muggy and I felt unmotivated.  Still, it’s all about effort, so I gave it a shot, and I loosened up a bit after the first tempo mile and the next two felt better.  And in fact, the tempo miles were right in the range for what the McMillan Calculator lists for my tempo pace.  I think Mr. McMillan knows me better than Mr. FIRST.     I like him better, too.....

Workout:

2.5 mile WU (ave 10:19) including 4 x 60-second sluggish striders

3 miles at (8:22, 8:13, 8:13)

1.45 miles home (ave 10:36)

Then, on the TM:

(2 min. @ 8:00/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  3

(1 min. @ 7:30/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  4

Plus .5 mile CD

10 miles total

This workout kicked my butt today.    I like it.

Lower body exercises tonight after soccer practice so my legs can have a break tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

YAY BeerBabyBoy will be here today!  Hope it all continues to go well for her.

We are in another hot spell this week with temps above 100, so rather than run late last night when it was still in the 90's, I opted to procrastinate until this morning. Sometimes procrastination pays off because a run in the cool morning hours, low 60's, was so much nicer and enjoyable. I wish I would have had time for more than 3 miles, but I guess 3 is better than none. I at least burned off the latte I'm drinking right now.

Enjoy your Thursday everyone!

Tammy

It was great that Tramps and CNY got together for a run.  hopeful, from the pictures and what you said, it sounds like your husband's birthday party was a good one.  perch, congratulations on the job offer.  Tramps, good luck to your friend working as an election monitor in Afghanistan.  I hope things turn out well for the people of Afghanistan.  eliz, healing vibes for your mother.

Nice long runs for SLO, Tramps, deez (with speedwork), PBJ, perch, and Holly (with speedwork).  Good job on the speedwork for ribs and mariposai.

This morning it was about 70° with a little wind and humidity.  I got in 5 miles in a little under 59:30 for a 9:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Come out and greet the world BeerBabyBoy.    

Finally got a good night's sleep-but didn't have it when I went for a run. Felt 'logey' and tired-guess I run better when I sleep less. Did get in 3.3 miles and called it a day. Will do some cycling later on now that I'm feeling more rested. Humidity less and breezy-won't last.