Masters Running

knee update (Read 267 times)

Henrun

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your concerns and well wishes over the last couple of months. I do have a tear in the miniscus and some arthritis which the orthopod says is really age related (NEVER!!!!) but who's in denial? Anyway I didn't run for one month (Henry suffered more than I did). However, I started up in March with about 5 miles a week working up to 13. It's amazing how quickly you lose your endurance - even tho I was biking 30 -50 miles per week. I supported Henry iin his half, but he registered for the James Joyce 10K Ramble last Sunday and I couldn't take it any more. I registered without telling him, but he guessed when I was carrying a bag to the car.... To shorten this story, I ran and 2 days later felt quad pain from doing no speed work, but minimal knee pain. Also, I ran my fastest Ramble ever (having run it 4 times). I think the moral of this episode is REST, REST, followed by grrrrrr MORE REST! Thanks for reading - and Henry - thanks for putting up with me, Marj
      Don't bodies just suck? You spend years building up your fitness level. Then a few weeks off and all of a sudden you are almost back to square one! Wink But, perseverance does pay off and I am glad it paid off for you with a new personal course record.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wow Marj - knee pain and you still ran your fastest Ramble ever!! nice job!! hopefully you're recovering well and will enjoy your bike trip next week!! have fun!!

denise

nowor

This sounds like good news! You are going to be Better than Ever!
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats Marj! I'm glad to hear the knee didn't bother you... and with a fast run, nice!
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter

Head Procrastinator

wohooo!!
              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                Congratulations.......that was a great course PR, especially after the lay off. Take care of that knee, you seem to have it under control. Thanks for this report. Joey
                Vista
                  marj, I'm glad to hear your knee is doing much better and that you were able to get a PR in your 10K. It's hard to be patient, but your patience appears to have paid off. TomS
                  coastwalker

Hi Marj, Thanks for the update. How could anyone object to "putting up" with you?? Congratulations on doing the hard thing, but the right thing to let your knee recover. Isn't it nice when rest and then a measured return to running pays off with a race like the one you had at the Ramble? A long time ago, a coach told me that it takes two days to get back up to where you were for every day off in an extended layoff. I don't know if that is true or not, but it sure can help one understand why it takes so dang long to rebuild their endurance and speed. Welcome back! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

I think the moral of this episode is REST, REST, followed by grrrrrr MORE REST!
                      Now THIS is a lesson I need to learn..... Smile Glad to see you making a comeback. Here's hoping for continued improvement on the knee.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hi Marj, Glad your knee is OK now and that you PRd at your 10K. All the rest worked Big grin
                        dg.

Marj, what great news! Thanks for the update, I've wondered about you. Sounds like your patience (in action, anyway Wink ) really paid off. Congratulations!
                            ...sorry to hear this marj//..........Rest and Heal....... I don't think becoming a Couch Potato(e) will be a Serious Worry for you.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

A long time ago, a coach told me that it takes two days to get back up to where you were for every day off in an extended layoff.
                              Kind of like re-adjusting to altitude when you've been at sea level - except I've heard it takes a day for every day you were away. Anyway, glad you're recovering, Marj. Enjoy the gift!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.