Masters Running

May Mountain Marathon Fun Run (Read 208 times)

GreenMan

Part two May 31 5:19 am The phone rang. “Hello?” “Are you ready?” “Yes, I’ll see you in a minute.” Yes, was a vast overstatement. Beth had called the night before to remind or rather enlighten me to the fact that Saturday, not Sunday, was May Mountain Marathon day. Sunday wasn’t even in May. Obviously I’m calendar-challenged. I’d been biking, mostly along the Blue Ridge Parkway, since last Sunday and gotten somewhat used to the simplicity of gauging time only as either daytime or nighttime. Why get all numeric about it? Yes I was ready. My hydration pack and running bag had gotten bulge-y on a breakfast of clothes and running paraphernalia since I had awaken at 3:45. And there was nothing more I could fathom I would need for a stroll on Mt Pisgah. But it was a slow motion ready at best. Nick was to meet us in town at 5:30 for a carpool to Johnson City, where we would caravan with several more Iron Mt Dead Guys to Mt. Pisgah, south of Asheville, NC near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Our group was invited to do a marathon length fun run on Mt Pisgah by another clan of trail runners in the Asheville area. I’m the new kid on the trail and enjoy getting to know our regional Trail-heads. At some point, we arrived at the Trace Ridge Trail Head. Adam, of the NC clan, was directing the event and gave each of us a well marked topo map and page of written instruction. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Tammy Gray drove the van to the Parkway at the foot of Mt Pisgah summit and served as aid station. The van progressed to Yellow Gap Road and setup again driven by Brian I believe. For obvious reasons, I had no intentions of doing the entire 27 miles. But as trail running naturally involves a fair amount of walking, I’ll aim for 16. Just “start out slow and taper off” as they say, while I’m getting reacquainted with medium distance. While we were in the early miles I saw a dead copperhead on the trail, a big, pretty,fat one. Later a fisherman warned some of the others a rattlesnake had been spotted and to be careful. Soon we were on single track along Big Creek. My stomach has been touchy for the morning so I skipped breakfast, but I force down a ClifBar for better or worse. The morning was very warm, mid 70’s and humid. For a couple of miles this trial seemed dead flat Image and video hosting by TinyPic and pleasantly non-technical except for some stream crossings without a bridges. I’m stiff, rusty and exhausted and haven’t even started to climb. There is about 3 miles of nice flat creek bottom before we turn up Little Pisgah Ridge. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Its still non-technical, but we’re getting ready to go from about 2600’ to 4600’ in 3 miles and most of that in the first half. So I’m walking, but as we get a little higher the air cools and thins and I start to feel better. Near the top, I’m following Mike and Marianne through some incredible mountain laurel thickets. The effect of twisted limbs forming a spiraling tunnel of dappled light is a bit hallucinogenic, but I’m not complaining. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Soon we have popped out on the Parkway and run pavement for a half-mile or so Image and video hosting by TinyPic including two short tunnels that funneled a refreshing breeze across our brow. We met Tammy at an overlook with the coolers. I loaded a hand-held and mixed in a packet of Clip2. At this point, most have taken an out and back trail 1.5 mile to the summit with at least 1100’ of climb. Though I’ve consider it, my plan is to just run another 8-9 miles to Yellow Gap Road where the van is set up again, and ride back to the trailhead. The descent down Laurel Mt is a nice even gentle grade with only a few technical places, mostly near the top. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Probably one of the best all-around long stretches of trail I’ve ever ran. Given the ease of grade I start to feel normal to running. Even though I’m tired, I start to feel good and more natural to where I am and what I’m doing. Since most are doing 3 more very steep miles than I, a mile or two down the mountain the front runners start to pass me. Most of them I don’t know, but we all chat some as we enjoy the day. As I’m getting close to the road a group of mt bikers are headed up. This whole area, especially near the bottom, is swarming with campers, fishermen, people playing in the creek and hiking and having fun. Great energy and natural beauty are in everywhere. At Yellow Gap road, I call it a day at about 16 miles in about 4:45. Within 15 minutes or so, Tammy arrives, having ran down the mountain with her husband Rick and Beth. Rick and Beth continue on, but Tammy, Brian, Josh, and I load the van and head back to the trailhead. We have some spare time so we play in the creek along the way for a while too. At the trailhead some have arrived and others are filtering in. Rick and Beth rounded up the running portion of the event with a couple of bonus miles bringing their total to 29. Some goodies have been stashed in several coolers and we eat and re-hydrate with wolf-like enthusiasm. The goodie rave of the day was by far and away Beth’s Cool as a Cucumber dip. She claims it was just cucumber, cream cheese, salt and pepper, but I’m pretty certain magic was involved. It was light and fluffy, easy on the cream cheese. When the chips were gone we started eating it on cookies. Adam also gets high honors for a couple of growlers from the local French Broad Brewing Company. The stout was exceptional, Bro. Nick’s story of 20 minutes, a Frozen Burrito, and a Microwave was told in matter-of-fact, classic Whited candor. I laughed until I couldn’t see and could barely stagger. If you travel with Nick for a day, you’ll be in stitches for a good portion of it. Since Marianne and Mike had left early, I rode back with Rick, Tammy, Josh, Beth, and Nick. We hit a Mediterranean restaurant pretty hard as soon as we got back to Asheville. Just before dark we made a pit stop and feed Nick’s horses in a nearby pasture some runner treats. Horses are like runners in that some like gels and some do not. But both are comical trying to lick them off their noses. We changed flights again back in Johnson City and three of us made it to Abingdon at about 10 pm I think. It was a long day, but fun all the way. May Mountain Marathon 2008 was a top event, idyllic in every way. Thanks Adam, and to all who made it happen. Next event, the Garden Mt Fat Ass June 28, directed by Nick. See you there. jjj
    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

The Jogger

Well done JJ on a very, tough, beautiful, scenic run. Thanks for sharing the experience, you did well on a near empty stomach, in the heat with vicious climbs. Amazing!!!!!!!! Roy
        Fantastic encore to your bike trip report, jjj. Your pictures and descriptions were great. You and your friends surely enjoyed yourselves. TomS
          Wow......thanks......I love to hear of your various runs. The pictures are always a plus and give a great addition to your well used words that are always right on target. That definitely is a beautiful location, but then again, so is all of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Thanks for this report.
          Vista
            jj, Great pictures and race and congrats on completing 16 miles. Drinking stout too..yum. Way to go and thanks for sharing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Another beauty - pictures and words. Thanks, JJ.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marvelous JJJessee---both parts of the story provided a wonderful read and clearly a great adventure for you and your friends. Thanks for taking us along! CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #957

Beautiful!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Map reading required and rattlesnake....that got my attention..I've great respect for those who are unphased by both... Beautiful pictures, great day and company , thank you for your RR! Francesca
                    arf

MM #405

Great report and run JJ! And the pic's are absolutely gorgeous! This is exactly the kind of marathon that I LOVE running...I MUST do this one someday Smile Laughed about your "calendar challenged" ailment, and putting cucmber dip on your cookies?? Tight lipped Guess ya had to be there Big grin Congrats!