Masters Running

40s On the Run - What Makes YOU Come Alive (Wk Ending 07/28/08) (Read 431 times)

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." (Howard Thurman) Okay, laides - If you haven't seen "PS, I Love You," and have a box of Kleenex at hand. (And the guys aren't too hard on the eyes, either!) Did cross-training with about 3 hours of yard work yesterday. A tad sore around the low back, but the yard looks a heck of a lot better. Will get more transcription done today, and either go for a bike ride or do some strength and knee exercises. Right now am watching "12 Angry Men." Great movie! Have a good Sunday Cool

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

11.2 slow hot miles this morning. Could not get my rear outa bed til 6:30 and messed around until 8 before I got out the door just as a morning fog lifted. I did a mile out and back from my house as a warmup then headed for town. I wore the Brooks adrenalines I got in Boulder at BB, a little more support than my nirvanas. My achilles was kinda funky the whole way, don't know if that is related to the shoes or not. Seems fine now. I was gonna shoot for 12 miles but was ready to cry uncle at 11 due to heat and humidty.. Parts all felt good enough but was feeling hot and was out of water. Lynda and I went out for a slightly premature end of harvest celebration supper in Ogallala, I had prime rib, some shrooms, grilled veggies and a couple of Scotches, all very good. My truck drivers are coming at 1 pm and we should wrap harvest today with the exception of a couple of lagoons that were still green earlier.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Good Sunday afternoon all, Haven't seen the movie but heard it was good Leslie. Thanks for starting us off. Did some X-training myself yesterday. About 5 hours of heavy duty house cleaning, followed by an hour of swimming/studying. Yep, swam for a bit then lounged on the raft with study guide in hand. Just got back from a 1 1/2 hr. bike ride. 10 miles in about 90 degree weather. I'm still not sure about the running yet. Just the 3 miles I did on Friday, the groin was still just a tad sore so....I'll keep staying active other ways for another week and see how a run goes in a few days. The bike ride was a blast. There's no gears on this bike just your typical Florida beach bike. Wide handle bars/wide tires and a comfy seat! So you reallly have to pedal to get anywhere. Wore my bathing suit top with shorts and flipflops and off i went. Carried a small backpac with water/cell phone just in case..... Mmmmm.....came home to hubby cooking crab stuffed shrimp, shrimp and scallop alfredo and some killer tators that he marinates in something and then puts them on the grill. Anyone wanna come over for a Blue Moon or for you non-beer lovers a margarita or something and some good food, come on over. Heading out for a swim, later gators. Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          Mmmmm.....came home to hubby cooking crab stuffed shrimp, shrimp and scallop alfredo and some killer tators that he marinates in something and then puts them on the grill. Anyone wanna come over for a Blue Moon or for you non-beer lovers a margarita or something and some good food, come on over.
          I should be there in, oh (checking watch), 12 hours or so. Keep things warm for me! Jim - Hang in there with the heat and humidity. I would assume you need to more careful about your fluid intake on those situations. Re the achilles, have you used the shoes before, or was this a virgin run? If you've been running in less supportive shoes, your lower half may be going, "Wha...?? Support?" Wink Give it another couple of runs to adjust. Just got out of the shower after an hour ride on my trainer. Whew! A much more intense workout than when I ride on the road. Was actually able to get my HR up in its aerobic zone. Now staying there was a whole 'nother issue as after about 30 minutes, my legs were getting tired. But I geared down (up?) and did faster pedaling as opposed to more resistive pedaling. It felt great! But I need some kind of mat under the bike to soak up all the sweat. Set myself up out in my workout room, set the ole laptop up on the freezer, the bike up close enough that my earphones would reach, and plugged in a movie. Made the hour a whole lot easier to get through than just staring at a wall and listening to my iPOD. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to get through an entire movie. Now it's off to transcription. Later!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Woo Hoo We are D-O-N-E............. cept for a few acres of water holes and green spots. Got done about 5 pm. Good Feeling, Great Harvest Big grin Big grin A couple pics from today Jewels we will be right down.... slightly ahead of Leslie. Ooh that sounds sooooo good. We have super beef here but the seafood is uh just so-so at best. Leslie, I have had those Brooks in the rotation for a few weeks now, and seem to feel the achilles thing on warmup in those shoes. I feel fine now so like you say more my body saying what up than I don't like that. I have done both my11 milers in them. I still like my nirvanas they are kinda like a big old cadillac, big heavy, comfortable, slow but will go the distance. I have a 20 oz ampipod thingy and drank it ALL today and usually only drink maybe half. Felt better after every time I drank so probably a good thing I called it when I did. I drank a 20 oz gatoraid and a 20 oz dew within minutes after Lynda picked me up. I know its bad but I have a very severe Diet Dew addiction. Evil grin Giving a shout out to the rest of the crew hope you all are enjoying your weekend/ mtn house/beach house/ vacation.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Jim you left out support crewing at an ultra! Big grin Not exactly a vacation. Jack and I had a good time and Jack did well-finished 3rd in the VT100. 16:41:00, about 11 min slower than last year but set a new course record for 50 yr olds! Big grin He was bragging all weekend about getting his AARP card and adding me to the account as well! Andy Wilkins-Jones won and Kevin Sullivan came in second. Along with Glen Redpath, they made an exciting lead pack to follow. Glen ended up 5th. It was hot and humid and they pushed the pace early on. Jack backed off around mile 35 because it was getting too hot for him. But after a wicked thunderstorm ripped through around 5pm and it started to cool off Jack came alive and his pacer kicked his a-- to get moving and make up about a half hour of time to move from 4th place to 3rd within the last 12 miles was exciting. He was done before dark so he didn't even need his headlamp. I had fun meeting other support crews and seeing friends I only see at these races. Joe Kulak was there as well-he's currently a Grand Slam record holder and full of great stories. This VT100 was his 30th 100 miler I think. He made the top 10 overall and had a good race too. Now it's back to the real world-work, kid schedule juggling etc. Sounds like everyone else is doing well and surviving the summer heat in one way or another. Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

Kelly, oops sorry, and congrats to Jack!!!

100 miles in 16:41?? How the heck is that possible?? Shocked Guess it's the crew and pacer. Big grin Congrats to Jack and crew!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Leslie, thanks for starting the thread! Great job on the cross training. Yard work can be therapeutic, huh? Something satisfiying about seeing tangible results from hard work... r2, ya slacker...only 11.2 miles, huh?! Just kidding, I think it's funny how we beat ourselves up sometimes mentally when we're really doing just fine. BTW, I'm on my 3rd (or is it 4th) pair of Brooks Adrenalines and love 'em. Tried another Brook shoe once, and have trouble even using them for knocking around. Amazing how different feets can be. Congrats on the harvest, and your dinner date sounds delish! Jewels, those old style bikes ARE quite a workout, not to mention the housecleaning. Hope you will continue resting that groin until it's good and ready. Taking a little more time off from running will not matter in the grand scheme, but could prevent a much longer time off. Best advice I got for my hip injury was from a trainer at the gym, who told me to rest, rest, rest for a few more weeks after I though I might be ready to ease back in. She had pushed it too far at one point in her life, and though in great shape, was no longer able to run at all. Kelly, congrats to Jack, and his crew!!!! I need to show your post to my hubby before we go to the gym tonight. He got his AARP card a year ago. Hey, the discounts aren't bad Smile. My former boss was/is into ultras, and I think was part of my inspiration for starting to run. I don't have the desire to do ultras, but just seeing what you guys can do really shifts one's mindset about what is possible, and makes other goals seem more achievable. The training plan is going well for me so far. Did 4 miles instead of 3 yesterday, though the last mile was hills run/walk combo. Felt pretty good, and the 1st 3 were more of a progression run than the "easy" I had planned (10:51, 10:29, 10:13, 11:42). Don't want to get ahead of myself, so will continue to work the plan. Gotta get to work, but hope to check in more frequently with you "kids" this week. Happy runs, rides, vacations, crews, rests, bikes, studies, floats, or whatever moves ya Smile
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      Welcome to Monday, folks - Jim - Did ya do a little jig in the fields for being done? Do you guys rotate what you plant in which fields and which fields are used for a cash crop for certain years and which ones are dormant with a crop planted to till back in for nutrients? Just curious Carol - I don't think I've ever done an "easy" run. They all seem to morph into some type of progression run. Nice to see you slowly getting back into the swing of things. I'm going to lay off the running for a couple of more days and work on cross and strength training. Did an hour of strength/core/knee this a.m. Wish I'd gotten up earlier so I could've done at least another half hour. Don't feel like I got enough of the knee PT exercises done. We seem to have a new kitty in the neighborhood. It keeps peeking under our fence in the back yard and watches our cats. It actually came into the yard this a.m. and promptly started digging in my newly planted area. That's not going to go over too well. Evil grin But's found our fountain for a watering stop. The other cats just sat there and watched it. Guess it's safe to say they aren't watch dogs. Blush

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Happy Monday Guys! Checking in while a lge batch of Friendship Bread bakes....sourdough/quickbread....anybody need any starter!? Thanks for starting us off Leslie....if your yard is done, mine sure could use a little "help!" Last movie I watched was "Untraceable" w/Diane Lane....interesting....& that would be my problem w/staying on a stationary bike/treadmill too I think....especially in my own home...& then my mind wanders to all the other stuff I need to get done... Roll eyes WOO-HOO Jim & Lynda!!! Congrats on getting a great harvest done!! sleep for a coupla days now ya-hear! & congrats on another good long run....ya might try carrying some gatorade or some such for those long HOT runs.....I think your celebratory dinner was perfectly timed. Wink Jewels.....yer makin me HUNGRY!...& I'm already up a few lbs from all this training Blush (actually I'm sure it's the ravishing the frig the day or two after the long run that is annoying the scale!) I haven't ridden one of those bikes in years! Good job! sounds wonderful to me...course, so does the pool! Smile & I agree w/Carol....keep taking it easy for now.... Kelly: tell Jack Congratulations!! sounds like it was an excellent wknd for both of you! Smile right now that sounds insane incredible to me! Shocked Carol: Smile I'm glad....just keep cruisin'.... Sunday morning arrived clear & cool ~ about 40* F @ 6am...since it's cool, we vegged about for a little bit chatting about run strategy a bit...my schedule said 14. Doug wanted to get in 6-7 & felt that would be plenty for the dogs too, so we only took one water bottle each & headed out for what we were hoping was a 6-7 mile loop...then I could go finish the other 7-8....my intent was to keep it steady/easy as my primary goal is elevation training, not speed & I did a great job of maintaining an ave 131 HR - hills & all! however, woke up w/my left foot feeling a little creaky (?) but it seemed to be getting better as I walked about....hoping it would loosen up...it didn't...by the time we finished the intended 1st loop, it was feeling bruised so, I called it there....thought I'd rest it a bit & see how it was feeling & try to do some more miles later in the day - depending on how it feels....not happinin' Sad in fact, still feeling "bruised" today....I'm still not sure what that is? thought it was worn out shoes...retired my Saucony's & added some Asics to the rotation (only other pr in at the moment is Pearl Izumi's) but I do still have another pr of Saucony's that probably should have been in the rotation already as opposed to sitting in the closet waiting their turn...seems to be worse w/the Asics...maybe they're just a touch too narrow? I dunno! I don't think I'm working an injury YET...but I've got to figure this out before I can build more mileage! Spent the rest of yesterday alternating btwn vegging on the deck w/a good (cheesey beach) book & taking the Dyson to my son's habitat our mtn house & taking the jeep around to check out the new builds in the neighborhood..this included window peeking & inspecting deck views Big grin... Off to debate logistics w/the Post Ofc.... Ciao!
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          Cindy - Where on your foot does it feel bruised? If it's the side, yes, your shoes may be too narrow. If it's the arch, maybe not enough support. Is this your first pair of Asics and you've only worned Saucony's to this point?

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Congrats to Jack on an outstanding 100 mile race! Kelly, sounds as though you had a great weekend with some good friends. You both are elite athletes in my book. Here's to many more great races ahead! Jim-Congrats to you and Lynda on your harvest. Glad it was a good season for you guys. Nice LR's you've been getting in lately, especially with the heat/humidity. Take it easy on that Dew will ya? Ooops....I mean diet Dew Tongue Cindy, you're a busy lady. You'll get that 14 miler in soon enough. Hope the bruised foot doesn't hang around for too long. Take it easy. Uh oh.....Leslie's got another stray kitty stealing her heart. Don't do it! Be strong.....Just kidding..... Carol, glad your training plan is going well. I've been looking at the HH novice half training. I think it is doable but gawd how I hate schedules. They never work for me....maybe I'm just not dedicated enough. My only long term goal I have is to get "better" over time and get my LR's up to 12. I'd be tickled pink. How's Mr. Joe doing? I know you've been busy busy with work. Hope you and Buddy's runs are going well. I love how you have to sneak out of the house or wear different clothes when you leave so Buddy doesn't suspect anything! Too funny! Arla, hope you are enjoying your road trip! Hey, aren't you supposed to be teaching or did you get a sub for the week? Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              Uh oh.....Leslie's got another stray kitty stealing her heart. Don't do it! Be strong.....
                              Seriously! I'm going to KAA - Kitty Adopters Anonymous. Big grin Nah . . . this little guy has a home. He/She is wearing a collar and looks to be in good health. Funky right back leg, though; isn't completely formed. But that doesn't stop it from getting around. When it saw us looking at it through the window, it got that look ( Shocked ) took off like a shot under the fence.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hmm, yep this is my 1st pair of Asics...mostly have stayed w/Saucony Ride's & a pr of Pearl Izumi Shines (which they no longer make) as they have a wider toe box w/o the nasty side seam that digs into my short little sausage toes! (can NOT wear Nike)....I have wide feet (goes w/my vertically challenged, square frame!) + have broken the outer toes on both in the past thereby changing the shape/fit a bit.... Roll eyes I usually cannot wear women's shoes as a norm...most of my boots are small men's/boys...the first time I had this "problem" w/my left foot was w/my 'women's snowboard boots...went 1/2 then full size larger...the only thing that did was extend the length, which then killed my feet through the arch! Went to a small men's & viola! great fit!! Oh, but then I'm a "gap-size" being a men's 5!! or Youth 6? (men's 5's are HARD to find & youth sizes tend to have little to no arch support) So, here's my thinking...even though they feel good to put on (see in store fitting) & I can get away w/a short run most often (& on lighter weeks), I think the mileage (total distance & combined for the week) is telling me that the shoes are just a little too narrow/not the right structure for my foot....& found this to explain a bit what's happening: http://www.podiatrychannel.com/mortonneuroma/index.shtml I think I need to take a coupla days off (RICE) & go back to the shoes I know....new ones of course! Yo Leslie: http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Cat&pet.Breed=&pet.Age=young&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=F&location=CA Big grin Big grin or maybe this:
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group