Masters Running

Spring Fling Tri (Read 216 times)

I am soooooooo excited!! I did my 1st Tri today -- sprint distance:  pool swim 250 yards, bike 10 miles, run 3 miles

I was so nervous and excited to do this -- showed up nice and early to sign in and get set up.  Saw the president of the TriFury Club which is associated with MVS - my running club.  We've met briefly before and he's an ICU nurse at the same hospital where i work -- he was so nice - came over to the transition area to see if i needed any help and explained the course to me.  I also met a really nice girl in the transition area and we talked away my nerves - walked to the pool together and did a warmup lap!!  Everyone I met was so awesome!!

Thought I was going to be nervous getting into the pool but i was ok -- did feel at one point like i was having a hard time catching my breath but just kept going -- was happy to have that part done and on the way to the bike.

Transition went well -- should have put on my singlet before my helmet tho -- ooops!!  The bike was the hardest part for me.  I definitely need to put in more time on the bike -- must have had 10 people pass me!!  Oh well!!  I kept chugging away and didn't get a flat which was one of my biggest worries!!

Next transition was easy -- biked in my running shoes so no change there -- and i knew now i could finish!!  The first 1/2 mile or so my legs felt funny but i knew from training i probably wasn't going as slow as i felt.  I decided not to use my garmin this race but had my timex in my belt pack -- looked at it once at the 1 mile mark just to have an idea at my pace and i was pleased.   I felt great coming in to the finish and smiled the whole way!!   So happy to have completed my first Tri and ready to put in much more practice for the next one!!

No idea right now on my times -- put off writing this because i was hoping the results would be posted on cool running but so far i only see the kids times in there.  I'll update when they get posted but for me time was not an issue -- the victory was in the finish!!  Life is Good!! 

denise

Beginner all over again

Congratulations! That's fantastic .  Good going!

wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome, tri-gal!  Do you know about how big the field was?  What kind of courses were the bike and run parts - roads, trails, or a mix? Was it an outdoor pool or indoor? We need more details!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great job, deez.  I have enough trouble running, let alone trying to do two other events.  I'll be interested in the times, when they're posted, and any other details.  Congratulations.

TomS

SteveP

Denise!!!!! We're so proud of you! You did it!!!! Sweet.

SteveP

Slo

Great Job Deez

Triathlon is a great sport. That feeling off the bike and into the run where your legs feel like noodles is awful. I'm always suprised at my pace because I am running much faster than it feels.

Awesome job Triathlete !

coastwalker

Hi Denise,

Greta job on your first tri! Except for the minor issue with the singlet/helmet, it sounds like everything went very well, and that you had a fun time. It is nice to know that you had good support before the race to calm your nerves - it always feels good to be in with a supportive group.

When's the next one??

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Congrats, Denise. Tris are fun. Mastering the transitions are the key. I've done a couple but, being a poor swimmer, I'm always last out of the pool. If you can gain more confidence cycling you should do well in future tris.
                    Nice going, Deez!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Way to go, Denise!  Awesome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Everyone!!

so the results are up but unfortunately i know the run time is wrong -- here's what the posting has:

overall place 59/68

swim 5:07  place 53

bike 47:48 place 64

run 23:58 place 41 --- NO WAY -- maybe 26:58 or 27:58 but there is NO WAY i ran that fast -- i had my ironman timex in my belt pac and took a peek when i started my run, the 1 mile and the finish and i would say i ran between 27-28 minutes.........wish i could do 23:58 but i know that's not right  -- oh well

for Carolyn Tongueool - indoor -- happy with my time        bike -- roads -- i know that's my weak spot

run -- roads -- felt strong

denise

Tramps

Great job, Denise.  Congratulations!

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Denise--sure sounds like you had a ball.  Maybe you were running a lot faster than you thought?  Unusual complaint though, most folks say their times were too high

Just for reference, there's going to be a tri on and around our lake in Wakefield on June 27th.  Check the Burbank Y site for more info.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Fabulous.

I love the excitement in your voice as you tell the tale of your first tri.

Congratulations.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

It takes courage to try something for the first time, especially a complex competitive event like a tri. I am so happy for your enthusiasm, and I sense you are "hooked" and will do another one.  There is really no limit to what you can achieve, but it starts by trying something once.  Very proud of you.  Spareribs