Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.11.12 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Where's the guy who is down under??

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.1 preflight miles)
    Quickadder (7.2 pre-rain miles, 6.2 with DD, at 5AM in 74° Dew Point and 99% humidity)
    Tramps (2.5 miles - longest since knee injuries - in same weather as Quickadder)
    Jlynne (5 morning miles in 42° with clear skies and bright, smiling moon)
    Dave (3 morning neighborhood miles)
    Holly (core & upper body weights)
    Tomwhite (30 min, PoolRunnus Interruptus with lettuce&hellipWink
    Elizabethnyc (planned 3 miles or so miles in gorgeous Fall weather)
    Tet (5 morning, rainless miles)

Henrun (3.1 comfortable, sunny miles, with a Marj meetup in the middle)

Wildchild (6 sunny afternoon miles with melting snow)

Mariposai (6 cool post-work miles, including hill repeats)

A belated Happy Birthday to Spacityrunner (Liz)!

Congrats on the first post-injury non-stop run, Tramps. I hope the healing continues.

Nice to hear from you, Jlynne! I'm sorry that cataract surgery is causing you problems. I hope they'll be resolved quickly.

Congrats on the successful software install, Dave. I know it was a biggie for you.

Hi Elizabethnyc - Welcome to our little corner! I'm next door, in NH, and am also ex-NYC.

It is always interesting to read your posts, Tet! Sorry about your friend who died near the end of a race in '02.

Agreed, Spunky - cheaters are mostly cheating themselves.

Thanks for the photos from Sunday's race, Marj. #21 is the guy I was chasing or leading for the whole race. I love that shot of you and Henrun!!

I hope you got in a run yesterday, StarrRuns, and that you have a less stressful day today.

7.2 RW miles in 57° temps and relatively dry air this morning, with a nice chunk 'o moon lighting the roads. My pace for miles 2-7 was 11:34-11:39. I'm usually not that consistent.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

The guy down under just returned from an all day bus trip. Saw my first ever koala outside of a zoo! Three in fact. All curled up into tight little sleeping koala balls. Seems that is how they spend 20 hours a day. Now it is night time and my DW and I are going to collapse for the evening. Enjoy your Wednesday. It was a fun day day. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Quick check in before all my meetings start.  5.7 along the Chicago lakefront in wind and rain.  The rain, fortunately, was light.  The wind was not.  Started out with the headlamp.  I just couldn't face the treadmills here at the Fairmont.  Did it!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...thanks jay//......I was wondering who'd catch that........

.........[[jylnne]].......keep us ''posted'' on how the cataract surgery is doing,

it's the NEXT thing they're going to do to me

====================

........Shooting Day today.......

.my buddy with the 105 guns couldn't shoot skeet, after I showed him how

he said

''now, we're about even''

.....so I told him he had WON (sigh)......some people need to Win......

''this is how I've always shot'' I said  ''you on the other hand are getting better''

=========================

VENT ON-

speaking of Guns,

we had a Church Shooting in Antioch,

I bought our minister a Strobing Tactical Flashlight............''just turn it on and then Run'' I told him''

'' we have an AED we've never used,

hopefully we'll never need this either''

Strange Times We Live In (and Sad)

VENT OFF-

=====================

..................on a Happier Note,...............Good Running to Ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning from July-like Eastern NC.  Completely miserable run in the H and H today.  Started out looking for 5 easy.  First 1.5 miles felt great, though sweaty in the 77 degree/76 dewpoint swampiness.  Then the wheels started to fall off.  HR was up over 150, so I went to a Gallowalk 5:1 for the next 2.5 miles, ending up short of my goal, but feeling pretty beat.  HR recovered very quickly on the walk portion, but could never keep it in the 130s/140 max where I like my easy runs.  Well ,lousy days like today are what keeps me coming back.

Conference meet today.  I've told the boys we'll treat it more like a workout since they raced hard in the heat Monday.  Maybe I'm too conservative, but I don't like racing them twice a week in the heat, even though youth tend to recover quicker.

Twocat - are you a teacher/professor?  It's my other "side job" along with coaching,  I enjoy teaching college, but dread grading papers.  Even many of my graduate students don't know how to write.  And I'm talking about eh basics like syntax, subject-verb agreement, topic sentences, etc.  Kind of sad they progressed this far without learning that skill.

Nice 10 miler. Thanks for sharing that Relive playback.  I've never seen that before.  What a gorgeous place you have to run!  I'd do a Relive for everyone, but it would like:  cotton field, soy field, cotton field, pig farm (stinky), tobacco field, cotton field.  You get the idea!

Coastwalker - your weather sounds awesome.  Well done on the 7+ RW.

RunnerKSA - nice runs.  I enjoy running in new places on my many work travels.  Safe travels.

Tramps - good news on the 2.5 mile non-stopper.  I've been on my come back about 4 months now and progress continues, slowly but surely.

Elizabeth - hope you got your 3 miler in.

Spunky - thought I new George's last name, but after searching the results for all the George from Illinois finishers in Chicago, I couldn't figure out which one was him.

mrrun - thanks for sharing the pics.

tomwhite - once in a while I go out shooting with my son and his friends.  They bring there high dollar rifles and scopes.  I bring along my grandfather's old Savage Arms .22 with iron sights.  I go home with a pocket full of cash after the various contests are done.  Not bragging (yes I am), but most of them never learned to shoot the "old way", and it shows!

OK, need to get some work done before heading off to the meet.  Have a great day everyone!

Oops. Forgot to post yesterday, so I'll catch up even if I don't make it onto Jay's daily workout list. Rode 28 miles, but not with my usual group since I had to be with my DW at her early morning colonoscopy procedure. These are always tough on her and due to her family history she has to go every 5 years instead of the usual 10. But everything went very smoothly and quickly and she got a clean report.

Steady rain here since I woke up this morning, so instead of a workout I'll stay home and bake chocolate chip cookies. Is that an even trade?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

It was the last day of PT for me and--warning--I'm feeling a little reflective about it all. (FYI for new folks, I was diagnosed with multiple meniscus tears in my left knee and early OA earlier this year.) We spent the time discussing a strategy for future exercise. I've been relatively injury free over the years and when something did happen I was accustomed to backing off, building back up slowly, and seeing steady improvement. However, with my degenerative meniscus tears, there will be no "improvement"; this is as good as it'll ever be again.  That feels very strange.

The challenge now is to stay active while not needlessly accelerating the degeneration. Unfortunately, in this sort of situation, running causes further damage, which is why my sports doc recommended I stop running completely. The compromise I agreed to was (1) PT to improve running form to hopefully reduce the damage I'm doing each time I run, and (2) limiting myself to only very short runs, again to limit any damage. As a result, my distance running days--and any "racing" days, such as they were--are over. That feels very strange, too, since it's been such a big part of my daily life for so long. As a practical matter, training for marathons and halfs provided a structure for my exercise: pick a race and work backward to set up a training plan; base miles, build-up, peak, recover. Rinse and repeat. Often, knowing I'd be suffering on race day if I didn't get out there to train got me running in unpleasant conditions or when I wasn't feeling great that particular day. I'll miss the motivation provided by that basic goal-oriented rhythmic structure. The plan now is simply to alternate some cycling with short 2-3 mile runs, along with plenty of exercises for strength and form. It's hard to get too excited about that but it's what I can do now.  I'll need to find ways to keep it interesting.

I remind myself that I'm fortunate to be mostly pain-free and able to do normal daily activities. Many folks--including some of you here--have or are struggling with much more serious and often long-term issues. I try to keep it in perspective and use you all for inspiration.

Enjoy the gift. 

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Dermatologist visit and she was sure that my area of concern wasn't melanoma, but was likely some form of a keratosis.

Its sliced off and on the way to the lab for confirmation, that should be it done and dealt with.

~2 days of no workouts to allow healing.

(I'll see how I feel by Friday, may wait until the weekend)

All in all about the best outcome possible.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

DD finally got her braces off yesterday.  Between two kids, both of whom had "Phase 1 and Phase 2," I have been going to the orthodontist every 6 weeks for 12 years.  What will I do with my extra time?  

Just 2.1 recovery miles for me today, since DD forgot something for a project and I had to make an extra trip to her school with it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps - sorry about the knee issues.  I'm sure that is a somewhat disheartening prognosis, but it sounds like you are coming to grips with it.  It certainly must be an adjustment form the training-racing cycle.  I've trained the same way as you for years - pick a race, build a training plan, stick to it.  I am a very checklist oriented person (from my pilot days), and that kept me disciplined.  Various injuries have kept me from racing the past two years, and the daily training suffered accordingly - partly due to lack of a plan/discipline.  Sounds like you are ahead of the game in that respect (having a plan). Best of luck.

.....tramps//..............two words...........PoolRunning

until

they find Watching Paint Dry is Aerobic......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Ran around the lake this morning for 8.1 miles.

Paul

DAW60

Hi Tramps, I'm DAW (57 year old male), another Runner's World Master's forum refugee.  I was diagnosed with meniscus tear in my right knee last year (actual injury was September 2015), with grade 4 (down to the bone) OA on the bottom of the femur and grade 3 on the top of the tibia.  The knee was scoped last November to clean up the meniscus, with the doctor observing otherwise good condition of the cartilage outside of the localized degradation on either side of the meniscus tear.  Because the damage was localized, I was told that I was a good candidate for stem cell injection, which occurred in December 2016 while I was having surgery to repair femoral acetabular impingement in my right hip.  They extracted bone marrow at the beginning of the hip surgery, processed it in a centrifuge, then re-injected the concoction back into both my hip and knee joints at the end of the surgery.  While not proven and approved by insurance, the concentrated stem cell injection is not only supposed to improve recovery, but actually regrow some of the lost cartilage.  I also went through PT for both the hip and knee, before and after the surgeries.  My surgeon encouraged me to begin running ~3 months after the hip surgery.  I started out running 2 or 3 times per week for short distances, averaging about 10 miles per week.  In July, I bumped the average up to 15 miles per week, then low 20 miles per week in September, while trying to avoid running on consecutive days..  Most recently, I managed 30 miles on six runs last week.  I'm about 60 seconds per mile slower than I was in 2015, but finally feel like I'm turning the corner.  Last 4 runs were 6 on Saturday at 7:59 avg, six on Monday at 8:20, 4.25 on treadmill on Tuesday with 3 tempo at 6:59, and 4 on the treadmill today at 7:16.  To put that in perspective, in September 2015 before I hurt my knee, my last long run was 17 miles in 2:02:24, while my last tempo was 6.2 miles in 38:50 on the treadmill.

Hi to my fellow RW Master's forumites and hi to all the RA old timers.

jtv

4 RW miles with middle 2 tempo in 11:09,11:02.

Jay - don't think I ever answered your question from a week or 2 ago.  I went to a racewalk clinic by Jeff Salvage and Tim Seaman a few years ago

Tramps - Hang in there!  What about joining Jay and me as racewalkers?  I was diagnosed with moderate left hip OA about 4 years ago, and was told I will definitely need a new hip in the future  The Ortho said swimming/biking - best,  walking - ok, running - not.  I was like you in always training for my next big race, and didn't know what to do.  I made the decision to go cold turkey on the running, and strictly racewalk and bike (i'm not a swimmer).  I don't miss the running as much as I thought I would.  I still go to all the same running races, but just racewalk instead of run.   I try to get in a 1-2 days biking, and 3-4 walking  per week.  It's a new sport and challenge, but I can still do the same races, and meet up with my running group every week, just don't move as fast.  It's actually fun to have pass runners and here them say "hey you walk fast"!

evanflein

Hey folks! No time to read the last few days, and this will have to be quick. We are in Eastham, MA through tomorrow. Ran 5.4 on Tuesday, and 5.2 today. Our cottage does not have working WiFi, contrary to the listed amenities! Off to Boston tomorrow to see Marj, Henry, Denise, Robin, Jay and Kirsten, and others?