Masters Running

Friday, June 20 Daily (Read 405 times)

Good morning on a wonderful Friday in June. Yesterday was a running rest day for me and this afternoon I will get back on the road with a nice run. I sometimes think that rest days are the hardest part of running because I find myself feeling like I am missing something on that day. However, it is necessary and a part of the plan. An update on my brother is that his biopsy showed that the tumor does have cancerous cells but that it is in the early stages and the cancer has not spread. They finish off red blood cell injections today and next week he starts radiation to shrink the tumor. Then in six weeks they plan to operate to remove the tumor. Of course, with his weakened heart, any operation is a concern and they are hoping that these extra weeks will be used to strengthen the heart. His last test on the heart showed significant improvement there, which is good. As well, they feel that the stroke activity that he has had is reverseable and this was an encouragement. He thanked me yesterday for my letter/article that I gave him that many of you read. He said that it arrived just exactly at a time when he needed the encouragement and that it served to give him the boost he needed. I am glad I wrote it. Good luck to all who may be racing this weekend. Plan your race and race your plan. Then let us know how it goes. Have a great day with enjoyable miles on any run that you do today. Joey
    Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Vista - good news! Encouraging, anyway. Halllar – congratulations on your 5k PR yesterday! It’s no good trying to sneak that into the end of the daily, you know… 6.35 miles for me today, including a slow run up Stony Hill, ave pace 11:39 for the Stony Hill mile, 9:52 for the rest of the run. Taking off at noon today to take the kids biking along the river trail to a nature preserve that begins right at the end of my LR route. I’ve packed a lunch for our picnic. Today is our 11th wedding anniversary. We’re celebrating by going to an outdoor concert tonight – Live Bait, a tribute to Jimmy Buffet. It’s not actually Jimmy Buffet, but the tickets are only $10 and all the proceeds go to a charity, and it looks to be fun. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Great news Joey with your brother (or at least a lot better news) - Hope you have a nice run later - Yeah, rest days are hard for me to, especially when I see others out there running. Happy 11th anniversary Holly, that is awesome as I know you are hard to live with Big grin Kidding of course. Have a nice bike ride and picnic, and concert later on...sounds like fun. Holly, you are right about Hallar's late post of an excellent fast race, and PR Smile....here it is for all to read and enjoy today: Decided to run a local 5k with a group from work. I was the only one who showed up though I was really not ready to run a good 5k but was going as support for some newer runners at work. Oh well! 5k 22:44 a 7:20 pace and a 41 second PR ! Got to the 1st mile in 7:05 the second in 14:20 and the last in 22:44 I really slowed on the last mile there is a pretty good hill at the 1/2 mile to go mark and usually I pass quite a few people on this hill but not today. Can't be to disapointed though. I really thought I had a 21:00 5k in me but maybe next time. Larry Was RA very hard to get on this morning for others...took about 10 minutes for me. 7 easy miles last night in IRC....but is suppose to get H&H again next week. Hope all have a good TGIF Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Holly, congrats on your 11 year anniversary. 7.37 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace...easy run today followed by 15 minutes in the pool. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Glad your brother got your letter at the right time Vista. Congratulations Holly on your anniversary! Nice 7+ mile runs Tim and Peter. I took everyone's advice to heart today and slept in rather than run. I was awake in time for a 9 miler but decided to catch up on some sleep. I never moved a muscle for the next hour and a half. So my weekly unplanned rest mileage now stands at 9 miles. Tomorrow, I have golf at first light and then I'll run a few on the treadmill and possibly swim a few laps. Wish me luck on that last endeavor. An anchor comes to mind ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

That's promising news regarding your brother, Joey. Nice PR, Larry! Happy anniversary, Holly! Recovery paced and distanced run today. I had a bit of an issue downloading my garmin -- after some misguided troubleshooting I did a master reset so lost today's run. I did copy down the stats first, but it is lost forever from Training Center and SportTracks. I'll get over it, I'm sure. Problem turned out to be a USB hub which needed a power cycle. 3 miles @ 9:17, AHR 132

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning, all! Vista - so nice to have good news on Friday!! Hugs to you and your brother. Holly - congrats on the marrigae milestone. We share an anniversary date - it's our 21st today. We have a 6:00 am flight tomorrow morning, so celebration is limited to dinner in Providence followed by an early retirement to an airport hotel. Erika - keep an eye on the treads on your new Nimbus X's. I only have 29 miles on mine - most if not all on a rubberized track surface - and the tread grid on one of the heels is already worn smooth. I have a pair of Nimbus 7's with 400 miles that don't have this much wear. Can't ask for nicer running weather - low 60's this morning along the Sound. 7 easy hilly miles with a 10:17 average pace - didn't look at the final heart rate average, but I suspect it was in the low 140's. Good runs and a good weekend to all. Best of luck to any weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Holly- Happy anniversary, happy anniversary, happy anniversary, haaapy anniversary! Vista- It is rare that we regret a heartfelt act of kindness. I'm so glad your letter soothed your ailing brother. Continued good wishes to you both. For me the end of school approaching and taking on remodeling our kitchen so no run yet for me. It was a late night with my favorite new toy the reciprocating saw.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sue - Happy Anniversary to you, too!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning! Haller, congratulations on your PR. Holly, happy anniversary! Sounds like you have a nice day ahead. have fun. I've been meaning to ask for a while... where's Doug? Erika, I'm glad the boys felt good about their game. Most important part, I think, anyway. woohoo they scored against -- was it Arizona? no time to look. TW nice white doggy. glad it made you happy. what's the tune for the day? thanks for all the nice comments yesterday. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it... I was just so surprised. Holly, I think you probably galumph about as much as you are an oompa-loompa. (was trying to remember what you used to say. is that anywhere close?) Wildchild, good idea. Sue your run this morning sounded just delightful. enjoy your weekend. hope the flight's not too awful. i almost took today off, hammies were bothering me a little yesterday during the run; they hadn't done that in a while. saw a pt about left knee yesterday. decided on a shorter easier version, worked fine & i'm glad i went. 4:55 overall. Run was 3.59 miles, 10:03 average pace, 7:22 max. ahr 168, max 188. miles were 10:26, 10:02, 9:48, & last chunk pace was 9:34. hr went up as pace went down. hmm. i wonder if that's just more a function of time. have a great day everybody.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly AND Sue... Happy anniversary! Another nice (IRC) morning. Why is it that when a couple days of cool weather drop in they happen on my recovery days... just not fair. 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory with 4 x 100m strides in 38:04 (9:30 pace, AHR 143). We saw one bunny in the road who casually hopped to the side out of Tory's way as we approached. Tory did not bark or lunge. Just a very peaceful run.... ahhhh. Now for a 31 mile weekend (11+20)... time for the heat to return Cool

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That's very encouraging news Vista. Enjoy your run today. Happy Anniversary Holly!! Your concert sounds like fun. Tim - I had a hard time getting on this morning too, so I gave up for a while. Scheduled rest day for me. I got to sleep in and MrHopeful surprised me by feeding the monsters . . . er, I mean puppies for me. So that gave me another 1/2 hour to lay in bed. I even took a resting heart rate! TGIF!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Hang in there Joey! Happy anniversary to Sue and Holly. Larry, you did great! Now don't settle for that big PR. You smooth those miles out a bit, and on a course with less of a tough finish you have more PR's ahead of you I bet. Nice job, and as you now have been warned, don't post a great effort late at night where we can't see it! Since we were talking about recovery and pace this week, go back and look closely at Perch's run today. We often marvel at these 13-14 milers he does, and at quite a good pace, but notice how careful he is to set up his upcoming runs and recover from his last strong efforts. Today he did just 4 miles, and look at that very relaxing 9:30 pace. But to prepare for the weekend, he also incorporates a few strides. So he gets some quick rotations, gets the HR up just a touch, and now he is poised to run long Saturday and Sunday. That is a thinking runner. You want to learn something here, don't listen to me, just watch Perch. 5 miles for me today, first four at Heinz ketchup pace, last mile at CO2 cartridge pace (4 @ 10:10, 1 @ 7:36). Spareribs
                            DickyG

Holly & Sue: Congrats on your anniversaries! That's wonderful. Holly: Let us know how the Live Bait concert was...I'm a big Buffet fan but he rarely comes this way. Spareribs: 7:36 final mile? Wow! Haven't done that in centuries! Today marks 3 weeks since I ruptured groin muscle playing softball...but it's getting better...did 4 miles today...only 10:11 pace but big improvement...ran 2 miles without stopping...then walked a little until pain subsided, ran some more, etc. Hopefully, I'll be able to break an hour at Peachtree...we'll see. DickyG
                                Holly AND Sue... Happy anniversary! Vista - Hope the news continues to get better. you deserve it. 30 minutes of ez running, just to get the legs moving as I may race Sunday depending on how I feel. L is racing tomorrow in a women's only race that is in memory of one of Canada's premier young runners that died in a car crash last year. In last year's race I believe over 50 women went under 20 minutes for 5K. They are hoping for more this year. So going to support L tomorrow rain or shine.. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently