Masters Running

Mike's Marathon Monday, 5.16.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mike, I'm glad (and not surprised) that you had a good time and a good tour of Portland with Milktruck. Bummer about the race organization not being organized. Hopefully things will go better today, once the gun goes off (or when someone yells "GO!" or whatever gets you on your way. Remember to keep your pacing under control for marathon #1 so you can race well in 2-4/5. Good luck, have fun!

Jlynne, "coolish" is all relative. Saturday was sunny and dry and warm, so Sunday's cooler, damper (?), and much windier weather felt coolish. Although you certainly win in the absolute "coolish" category! I'm glad you got in a good workout at the Y, and had a good excuse for skipping the "coolish" golf tournament.

Weeding and carpet cleaning - a heck of a combination, Holly. Speaking of weeding, did you manage to help DD weed some of the outfits from her suitcase?

Nice mile fartleks, Enke. I think you are quite ready for next weekend's race.

Tet, will you be my granddad? 

"Just 12 for me," Aamos said. My 12s are not "just," but are a significant effort! Did you and Holly agree to do carpet cleaning yesterday?

Nice 5ish, Steve. Have a good/safe trip home.

Milktruck, good job of wrangling a table at that busy restaurant for you and Mike. Yeah - he does seem like a normal, decent guy, doesn't he? I wonder what happened that convinced him to take on the New England Challenge?

Good PGB (pre-Green Bay) 12+, Evanflein. I hope the barking stops as you taper on. Start looking at the weather maybe on Wednesday for a reasonably-accurate picture of what the weekend will bring.

Stumpy, I see hair there. Nice 6.99, plus the extra after you turned off the Garmin.

Sounds like a great trip, Starr. Welcome back.

WC got on the 12er wagon too - well done! Sounds like it was fun running with the ultra women.

Mariposai, you'll jut have to make a return trip to Portland East to get the royal treatment.

Our judged racewalking races went well yesterday, despite the "coolish" and quite windy weather. The winning time was 27:28. If I were racing, I would have done no better than 6th, and I would have done that well only because some of our regular, faster racers didn't show up. I got home by a little after noon, and DW arrived about 20 minutes later. We went out to a quiet, relaxing dinner last night, which was a great way to finish up our busy weekends. No workout for me this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. And Jay? Thanks again for the awesome weekend recap.

Not much time this morning. 6.2 miles at a 9:49 pace (legs were ready and willing but lungs are still yucky). It felt like a heat wave at 48° and no wind. Weather forecast looks great for next weekend!

GO MIKE!!!!

an amazing likeness

Mikeathon #1 is done. Tough conditions, cold (43F) and windy (gusting over 30mph). Clicking off 7:50 splits and he was on his last lap (~5km per) when I needed to leave. Looks like he'll post a 3:25 or thereabouts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marathon Maniac #957

GO MIKE!!!!

+1

Jay - that is some fast race-walking.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Maybe the cold & windy conditions will keep MikeE's mind off the task he is working on.

I ran 5 miles at the park this morning. Still very slow but felt better than I have in a while.  And it put me in a good mood when I was done instead a disgusted mood as my running has been doing to me lately.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great to hear.  Mike actually ran what he was hoping for.  Guess that means there was no one he needed to chase.   Only three to go.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--1 down 3 (or 4) to go.  Jay--I'm taking everything back about what I said about the organization.  Today they really came through.  They had hot clam chowder for us at the finish!  AND I got to run with milktruck for a lap and more!  So far, so good!

Okay--gotta get to New Hampshire!

mrrun

Congrats Mike - happy you did the time you wanted!  now it's Live Free or Die

Marathon Maniac #957

Yep--1 down 3 (or 4) to go.  Jay--I'm taking everything back about what I said about the organization.  Today they really came through.  They had hot clam chowder for us at the finish!  AND I got to run with milktruck for a lap and more!  So far, so good!

Okay--gotta get to New Hampshire!

Woo Hoo!

And hot clam chowder at the end of a marathon sounds awesome - what a great idea!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

yay Mike!!   I wish the weather was better for you. I mean who would have thought that the one time you head out that way to do an epic marathon streak, they have near record lows in that part of the country.

Didn't get in any running this weekend. Just busy with other stuff, but did play some tennis with David yesterday afternoon in between rain showers. He's beating me easily. Lost yesterday 6-3.  I think I need a new tennis racket. That's it. A new tennis racket. 

Will run tonight after work - just a few miles with the dogs. Then some core work.

Tammy

....mikeE'll run a Strong Race..............looking forward to the RR

=============

..........50's here and dreary

pretty much Forced myself to do 45-min bikeride (in high-gear to make the hills more difficult)

10-cars passed me,

still not too comfortable with my Back to Traffic

........................good running guys

,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,,tet//.....what kind of fish did you catch with a SafetyPin and a HotDog??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

sort of takes the challenge out of tracking when Mike was done before 10am.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

tet, neat campout with your grandson.  starr, good grandkid time.  Mike, you're off to a good start on your marathons.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, enke, Aamos, evan, and wild.

this morning, it was in the low 40s with some wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:50 pace.  It didn't feel much different than my recent runs but it was definitely slower.  C'est la vie.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Image result for happy birthday starr

Not much time--gotta work B4 you can party, right?

I remember chowder after the now defunct Mystic marathon in CT., lobsters after the Breakers in RI and empty pots that had chowder before the half marathoners ate it all up in Seattle.

Yay Mike!  Stay strong!

I just walked this am.

Heading on to the Monday Night Party!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Happy Birthday, Starr!!

I had no idea of the challenge Mike has gotten himself into.  Dang!!  Good luck with the rest of the races ~~

Not much going on here.  Heidi and I did 6 yesterday at the McKay.  The middle 4 were supposed to be "slightly faster than normal," but ended up being more of like a tempo run.  I was surprised that my legs felt as good as they did.  Heidi had trouble finding and maintaining a comfortable pace and kept falling back then surging forward.  We'll keep working on that.

This a.m. was about 30 min of core/ST.

The Hub's neck and shoulder are still an issue (why?  because he won't go to the doctor!!) so he can't sleep on his side.  Plus he had an allergy attack at bedtime and he couldn't breath, so snoring was at its peak.  Goofy and I moved to the guest bedroom, shut the door, and had a great night of sleep, just the two of us.  No other cats, no snoring - just pure sleeping bliss.  He finally woke me up around 3:30 to let him out 'cause he had to pee.  Other than that, I believe we could of slept 'til sunrise!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance