Masters Running

Sunday, 8.14.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I have a little time before I have to leave for this morning's RW training session, so I thought I'd check in.

Some excellent workouts yesterday by Robin (sans tumble), Mike (short, but longest in a month), TomWhite (with lots of letters), Lamerunner (along with a good swim), Haller (shirtlessly turning heads in the rain), Holly (frustrated, but still trying, and definitely not blobing), Jlynne (on the 'mill at the Y, and bathroom runs at the movies), Leslie (back on the McKay), Aamos (including a fast 5K), Twocat (bursting through the H&H for a good race), and Mariposai (on the trails with drop-dead gorgeous views). Lots of good comments about all kinds of stuff, as we do occasionally, meaning daily.  Hang in there, TSelbes - your mojo will come back, probably when that H&H moves out.

I've had a slight groin pull over the last few days and, while it still is nothing significant, I don't want it to become a thing, especially because I have a race on Thursday. So, I dunno, but I may just coach at this morning's session and not do any working out. Tomorrow is my SRD, so perhaps 2 days off will resolve the issue. I'm not putting myself on the DL - this is just a little preventive maintenance.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I seriously love this forum and the people here!! So sorry I don't seem to get in here in a daily basis anymore. The last few days thread has really hit home. It would be so easy to think we are alone in our problems with our kids,spouses or other family members so it helps to come here and realize we are not actually alone and have so much support!!

Yesterday I did a nice 6.2 mile loop in Maine in exactly 1:00:00 - how cool is that!! Not speedy but not trying to increase speed yet.

The rest of the day turned out to be one of the best days I've had in awhile - saw Bad Moms with a few of the other bad moms in th campground, went to Portland for drinks and eats with dh and another couple, back at the campground to a hypnotist show, then campground fun in the rain before the day came to an end. It was a day full of laughter and fun and it did my soul good!!

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and remember we are all in this together the good, bad, healthy and injured!

xo

denise

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

8 mile run. Walked the down grades. HR monitor needs a new battery. 1.5 mile cool down = 9.5 miles. Bearable need pain.Spend  12 hours volunteering at H9 marathon and 50 miler, yesterday. Over-slept. Missed the group run today. The tv died just as track and field event start for the Olympics

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Jay,

Smart with the preventative measures. It's always easier to take care of a problem before it becomes a long term issue.

Tselbs,

we all go through the swamp at one point or another.  Hang in there if experience has taught me anything the time off alone will refuel your desire to run again . Burn out happens . Like at work a vacation can make it better.

mariposi,

what a beautiful place to run. I envy you for that.

11.75 miles this morning for me. Probably my last long run before The Crim in two weeks. next Sunday will be more in the 8 mile range and hopefully at a speedier pace. Then some taper.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tselbs,

we all go through the swamp at one point or another.  Hang in there if experience has taught me anything the time off alone will refuel your desire to run again . Burn out happens . Like at work a vacation can make it better.

yes, for sure.

no need to really worry until your average pace drops to 15m/m and slower

and, then, no need to worry either.  It's all running.

My own little respite this morning from takin’ a break anyway
            had me wondering about the schedules for the Olympic
            triathlons, marathons, RW, etc. I've probably all missed

when, voila, nearby CBC was 15km into the women’s marathon.

. . . Q: with only 150 or so runners, why are bibs numbered 1372, etc.
            . . . Q: why not have messy aid stations on both sides of straightaways
            . . . Q: why so few spectators, in many places none at all,
            . . . . .  and finish stands only about half full.  Security concerns?
            . . . Q: why everyone wearing yellow shoes?
            . . . Q: why Ethiopian runner even wearing shoes?
            . . . Q: why so much build-up for Kenya’s first win
            . . . . .  as the Kenyan, Ethiopian and Baharainian runners
            . . . . .  separated from the pack when it would have been Baharain’s too.
            . . . Q; why no open water swimming when hundreds of thousands
            . . . . .  of triathletes from virtually every country in the world
            . . . . .  have completed their own 2.4 mile Ironman swims.
            Lookin’ forward to the men’s marathon tomorrow a.m. too.
            Oh Canada, I love you.

speaking of Canada,  have fun running up-and-down Cougar Mountain enke (i think)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

hallar I have just two things to say to you! The first is first aid tape. Works wonders. No more nipple chafing. The second is I am totally jealous that you have a DW that thinks what she does and told you too!  <= me

deez4boyz hmm you know what they say about a relay? If you can run a 10k you can run the relay. Come back as an alternate!

runnerclay no TV given NBC's coverage is not all that much of a loss. I was ranting on FB today about them cutting out from the woman's marathon with just a couple of miles to go.

My DW tried to stop me, but I did my 20 mile run today. I was up early, insomnia I guess, and decided this was about as good as the running weather was going to get this week. So off I went. Eventually I finished. Not pretty but done. By the time I got home it was 87° out, the heat index was 95° and the dew point 73°. I was .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...ok,

deez is Getting Hypnotized Out in The Woods

...................How Could This Possibly Go Wrong??

================

..........high 90s here,

no rain this last couple of weeks,,,,,,,,it just floats over on it's way to somewhere else

..........50-min HH with Trekking poles and boots

.................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Taperboy will walk it with you.

Yay!  But he walks pretty fast.....

Nancy - gorgeous pictures!

Tet - thanks for the news about no cut-off time.  Now I KNOW I can finish Portland.  You still get to collect the state even if you go slow.

Deez - we love you whenever you can stop by.  And you are definitely not alone.  Hang in there...

Runnerclay - hiyah!

Steady rain here today, so I did the walk/run thing on my TM - 7 miles total.  Will do a stretching session later.

Okay, I'm out of time - have to go pick up DD from a friend's house.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice race, twocat despite the heat.  Nice run for you too, Deez, that 6.2 would be my 10K PR. Holly, tet and Mike, if I would have know that this course was so friendly to newbies and slow runners, I might have made this one my first marathon. It would be fun to run with you guys. The half goes on a different route but at least Enke will be there with me, right?  It’s a good thing I didn’t in light of everything, but I did think about it.  I really don’t think I could walk that far, but I could run very slowly. Econo, so good to see you pop in here.  What’s up? It would be greta to see you at Portland if it works out for you.

Mariposai, those pictures on FB, and here, are just outstanding!

Jlynne & Deez, I too love this forum. The support from everyone is phenomenal. We have a huge problem with our daughter’s hoarding/cleanliness too.  Now she is in our apartment so that adds to the stress.  You can clean up the mess, but they need to clean up their own behavior and thinking or it will never get better. It is sad, but this is her last chance.

Oh, my flight to Portland was changed once again! The first time Frontier canceled my Friday flight and moved me to Sat/overnight in Denver/arrive on Sunday!  About a month ago I found a late flight on Friday night so switched to that. Now that arrival time was changed to 11:50pm so I just canceled it and am getting a refund. Back to the drawing board.  I do have a return flight, just need a one way ticket. United has one for $217 so with a 5pm arrival on Friday.

Did you guys hear about the “Trio to Rio”? Identical Estonian triplets, Leila, Liina and Lily Luik, 30, fulfilled their dream of all qualifying for and running the marathon at the 2016 Olympics.

Am I the only one who gets up 2 hours early before a long run to eat, have coffee, get ready, etc.? I think it is a good way to prepare for the race morning but it sure does add time. I was fighting GI issues last evening and this morning for some reason.  I thought I might end up doing a one mile loop around the campground trail to get my nine miles in! I actually felt OK and ended up with a good run after all.  Overall pace was 11:56 with a few miles near goal pace.  What a gorgeous morning it was!  I feel fortunate to have days like this.  We had church in a local park today with one person being baptized in the lake.  The picnic afterwards was so nice too, and no bugs!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I dropped my iPad, yesterday, and now it has dead spots in certain places so I have to keep turning it to get things to work...oh well.

Anyway....I just came in here to suggest to Tom to just keep on running...whether you want to or not.  Schedule a time and don't even think about it--just go run.  Whether you're enjoying it, or not, I think it's still important for you to get out and run.  Sorry...maybe some unwanted advice...but I really hope you don't let this get you down.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Quote from Mariposai on 8/13/2016 at 9:14 PM:

Taperboy will walk it with you.

Yay!  But he walks pretty fast.....

Thanks for the best out loud laugh I've had in a long time.

Am I the only one who gets up 2 hours early before a long run to eat, have coffee, get ready, etc.? 

Me too, but back in the days when all they had along the way was water, and sometimes, the newly-invented Gatorade.  Four hours of running seemed like an eternity in those days so, to avoid getting hungry, I'd get up three hours early to have time to digest a huge breakfast of OJ, bacon-and-eggs, toast and hot chocolate, plus blueberry/banana pancakes I'd take extras with to eat out on the course too.

Did you guys hear about the “Trio to Rio”? Identical Estonian triplets, Leila, Liina and Lily Luik, 30, fulfilled their dream of all qualifying for and running the marathon at the 2016 Olympics.

Fantastic. Not ever the CBC coverage mentioned it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

No run today, so that makes a full week with a big zero for mileage. I think the last time I did that was in 2009? Not sure, but I sure hope the foot appreciates it.

Today I spent a few hours doing garden/yard care, complete with thinning and weeding beets and carrots, giving them customized fertilizer drinks, deadheading and trimming back the flowers that are all overgrown and beaten down from the rain, fertilizing and watering tomatoes and squash in containers (they're all washed out from the rain), and generally taking care of the stuff I don't normally take the time to care for (but should!). I also laundered bedding and washed all the stuff the cat has been lying/shedding on for weeks. That's a lot of work!

Then a quick shower and turnaround to go see Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor give a talk on campus, with reception following. Oh my is she an impressive person! Such a good speaker and all from the heart. She wandered around the hall shaking hands and greeting people (much to the chagrin of her secret service detail), while listening to and answering questions from the moderator. These were questions the community had sent in ahead of time, all compiled to get similar questions all grouped together. She didn't shy away from anything either. Interesting to hear her perspective on life on the bench and the political tone of the country.... Very good, she's definitely got a new fan!

SteveP

(((((JLynne)))))

Oh My Gosh, MikeE. . I'm sorry.

Yay Hallar!!!

I can empathise, Leslie. Hang in there.

Five miles. Three of the barefoot on a pebble covered beach. I had hoped to avoid the H&H for the dog by running during intermittent showers. The sky cleared while we were lake side. Just before getting back to the stairs up, I went for a swim.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS - maybe just switch to taking a nice long walk until the heat breaks.  You could always try the Pokémon app, too - it is a bit silly, I suppose, but I have fun with it on long walks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."