Masters Running

Kennett Square 10K in PA - Race Report (Read 276 times)

Bayside

The Kennett Square 10K (www.kennettrun.net) started this year on May 16 with cloud cover and a chance of rain. Happily, it was not cold so I was able to wear a technical tank top and shorts for the race. The race route is very beautiful since you run beside a golf course and on the back roads of the hills in southeastern PA. It first starts out in the quaint town of Kennett Square and then heads out towards the country hills. The finish is in the local park. The overall race course is a loop with an out and back panhandle. This was the second time I ran the race in the past 4 years and I was happy to remember a few of the gotchas. First, for the initial 3 1/3 miles even though there are some ups and downs you are actually running uphill. So I was very happy when I hit the turn around because I would be going downhill for a little over a mile. Second, what looks like the last hill at around mile 5 is not really the last hill so I knew to not spend all my energy reserves clearing it. Third, the end is a bit farther away than you can see. In a very Disney-like waiting line manner, there is a "hidden" wide partial loop that you need to run around before getting into the finishing chute. Bottom line, it was a really enjoyable run for me for two main reasons: - they provide beer at the end of the race - I set a PR and beat nonoruns' best 10K time. Big grin Overall results: - Chip time 53:18 - Overall place 183 of 341 - Division (Male 40-44) place 14 of 24 Thanks for reading. Cheers.
      OOOOH Bayside! Cool to see your post. I can't help thinking of Baywatch when I read your name and then I am automatically thinking David Hasselhoff. Sounds like a good race. I think Nono could easily beat your time, given her HM time. So watch out for that spousal rivalry, it could get ugly!! Clowning around

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Congrats on a great race not too far from my neck of the woods. Can't help but wonder whether the mushroom capital of the world smelled like, well, mushroom fertilizer? I think you just issued your DW a challenge for next year. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Bayside thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great day. Keep setting those PR's!
            Bayside, it sounds like you enjoyed yourself and ran a good race. Congratulations on your PR and beating nono's best 10K (at least temporarily). TomS
              Nice Run BaySide! Congratulations for running in the mushroom capitol of the world! Are you also a Chester Countian? Ray
              coastwalker

Hi Bayside, Congrats on remembering the "gotcha's" and not letting them get the best of you this time. Congrats also on your PR, and on enjoying the beer at the finish! Years ago, I did some marketing for Campbell's Fresh mushrooms, and toured their facility out near Kennett Square as part of the learning about the product. I hadn't known that cow manure was such an integral part of the mushroom-growing process, or that it had a sweet fragrance when aged for a bit in those dark buildings. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Well Bayside, on the one hand congrats on the PR and great race, but I can't congratulate you for beating Nono! She's my favorite runner here! You two will just have to run separate races from now on. Spareribs
                  Slo

Bayside Nice race. I'm Jealous.......Around here the 10k has falling of the popularity charts. I really miss them. Personally I think this is the perfect race distance. I'm glad you mentioned the beer at the end. This is a very important part of racing!
                      Way to go Bayside and thanks for posting your report! I think a certain 10k PR may be re-set soon. Just sayin' Nice running!

Renee the dog

First off, congratulations again! That was such a great effort and I'm so happy for you! Secondly, I want everyone here to know you can trash talk me all you want. It's all good. Besides, I started all that a year ago before the OD 10 Miler. And, it's been a good year of kicking your as$, Big grin but I know that you have a lot of speed left in ya. Hoping I do too. Don't know if I'm ready for a head-to-head grudge match, but I'm game if you are. Thirdly, congratulations to your coach. She must have been a genius to eek out that much of a PR out of someone so unwilling to run more miles. Tongue And now for some pics from the day: Getting ready to race. A friend who lives outside Philadelphia, ran the 5K race (separate course!) Approaching the finish -- 5K to the left of the tape, 10K to the right (from this view) To the finish Signed, Mrs. Bayside

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Bayside

Thanks everyone for the words! No mushroom aroma or the smell of the stuff that makes it grow. Actually, I was trying not to smell much of anything during the run for fear of my alergies kicking in. Hey, I am guy, it's not like I can sneeze and run at the same time. Wink I have inlaws that live about 30 mins away so even though I don't live in that area, I am happy to have access to the race. I don't get a chance to train on hills so I like the race as a variety to my standard flat runs. I don't have any doubt that my wife is the real runner in the family so that is why it is fun to have one of the records for a little while anyway. Cheers...Bayside.
                            Congratulations, Bayside, on the PR! Those hill sound tricky! Is a 10K a race you have done a lot? The course sounds beautiful. Woods Lady

Marathon Maniac #957

I set a PR and beat nonoruns' best 10K time. Big grin
                              Shhhhhh - you're supposed to play that part down...... Big grin Great job, Bayside! Nice pics, too. You look like you're running strong in that middle one, very fresh for being so close to the end. (don't you know that you're supposed to look like you're struggling... Smile)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."