Masters Running

40+ and Beyond- On the Run w/e 11/22 (Read 704 times)

jfa

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Folks- nice last week for me before the big day next Sunday. Lead legs after intervals on a 12m long run yesterday, 10m progression to sub marathon pace today .Only single digit runs from here. Let the taper madness begin! Yikes!

Hey Joe....really nice training for you.  Good Luck!

12 easy miles for me this morning.  A beautiful drizzly fall morning.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Bagged my 13er this morning, just felt really bad. I don't know if it is a bug or just corn field dust related, either way with rain and a skiff of snow we were out of the field today and I slept most of the day and feel much better tonite. We will be out again for a few days so if I keep improving I'll work my long run in. I was planning 2 more long runs before my race but if I am delayed much longer I'll just do one and extend it to 14.

Lynda got in a nice 6er this morn.

Joe now thats the way to train!!

Ev wtg my 12's are never easy 

We got light snow here, big snow in KS between us. Congrats to your OSU Cowboys, my Huskers finally found an offense against KS.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - holy sh.... that's some workout so close to your race...nothing like a one week taper!

Jim - not surprising that you need a little rest after getting nailed by all that mold, even if it's not a bug, your body still had to deal with it.

Tough tough half marathon today, I have never seen such a hilly course! Nonstop short but steep hills, UP-down-up-down-up-DOWN-YIKES! even the downhills were tough! But it all seemed like sort of a treat (change of pace?) and an excuse to push it a bit, even got a 5+ min PR and definitely feeling a good tired feeling in the ol' legs tonight. Zzzzzzz....

Arla

Ex runner

But it all seemed like sort of a treat (change of pace?) and an excuse to push it a bit, even got a 5+ min PR   

Arla

Congrats, Arla!

Jim, yes, the snow is missing me.  Not even a "skiff."  You're Huskers are coming into their own.  Nice win against OU and now KU.  I've made a slight mention here before about this....Husker head coach should have a chewing gum sponsor! 

Hey to evryone today.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Arla- 5 min PR! Good going! Hills or not,that's a nice chunk of time.

Jim- hope you get over what's ailing you.That mold is scary stuff.Is the mold on the corn in the fields from excessive rain? When are you and the Mrs racing?

Ev- best Sunday of football a Giants fan has had in a month,and they didn't even play!

End of the year and I have days off to use or lose. I got called for jury duty,but the boss doesn't pay for it. Sooo, jury duty didn't pick my number ,but they don't know that at work, sooo, Buddy and I are heading for the beach in bright sunshine (haven't seen the sun in a week) and 68*. Weeehaaa

Ev- best Sunday of football a Giants fan has had in a month,and they didn't even play!

Glad you had a good Sunday.......mine sucked.   

Hey Kids -

Arla - Great job on the PR!  You are the rockin HM Queen.

Jim - Hope it's just the mold that's making you feel crappy.  Rest up.

Joe - Uh, yeah, 12 m long run - is that your idea of a taper week?!?

Hey Ev, Jewels, Carol, Cindy, and anybody who  may be lurking.

Got in 7 miles on the dreadmill yesterday morning.  Had to run before dawn and didn't feel comfortable doing that in unknown territory.  Geez, if I'd know I needed a measly .01 for an even 40 this past week . . . .!

Conference ended with a bag.  Our motivational speaker was a guy named Kevin Bracy.  I have no idea how much it cost to have him come talk, but I tell you, it was very  much well worth.  An unbelievably motivating speaker.  Almost had me in tears a couple of times.  He comes from a very abusive background, but refused to  use that as a crutch to get through life.  Prior to talking to our group, he had spoken to a group of soldiers in Palm Springs.  I would love to have an event where he'd come talk.

Hope you all have a great week ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

For the record...my Sunday did not really suck.  It's just that I let those darn Cowboys get to me.......oh, never mind, you don't want to here it.

Leslie....I love motivational speakers.  They're so....so....motivational.  Well respected motivational speaker/author, Zig Zilgar said, "People often say motivation does not last.  Well, neither does bathing.  That's why we recommend it daily."

6 easy miles for me this late afternoon.  I had to break out the gloves and ear muffins.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - ahhhh, playing hookey, what fun! And when it coincides with some IRC kinda weather, even sweeter!

Leslie - wtg on the dreadmill run while you were away, that's the way to stick to it.

Ev - ear "muffins" - heh.

Easy 3 tonight, had some pretty good DOMS, felt like I ran a marathon yesterday instead of a half, complete with going down stairs with that sideways hop/limp/thud. Something's telling me I need to seek out some more hills.

Arla

Ex runner

Well respected motivational speaker/author, Zig Zilgar said, "People often say motivation does not last.  Well, neither does bathing.  That's why we recommend it daily."

Well said.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Went to my doc today. She said I had a sinus infection and kinda a chicken or the egg thing with the mold and dust. Anyway got some Cipro and steroid inhaler. She told me no long run until Friday.

We got back in tonight in some really junky hailed stuff, black cloud when I engage the machine, it has a vacuum to pull the dust away so you can see the cornhead that eventually clears it. I have another day of really junky stuff, then 2 days of custom work and 2 days of good corn that goes in the new bin which STILL isn't done!!

Maybe they won't mind If they get paid 2 months late!!

Dang Arla that was quite the race, was that the wine country one? Kinda reminds me of the Slacker Half Cindy tried to talk me into. Its all downhill but mega elevation drop and really rips you up.

Ev ya ol Bo does chomp his gum. Sometimes I think he could be a little more positive around the kids and control the temper a little better but on the plus side he did embrace all that was Husker football not thumb his nose at all the old tradition like Callahan.

Joe hope u see the big yellow orb have a nice hooky run!  And ya the excess rain/snow in combo with all the injury sites on the plants cause by summer hailstones and high moisture of the grain from lack of heat units during the summer caused all the mold and fungi carp this year.

Leslie cool u got to hear a good motivational speaker. I am kind of a Wayne Dryer fan, I would definitely pay money and drive to see him.

Our half is Dec 6. This training cycle has really sucked. My doc told me I was training for 2 halfs, one in the cornfield and one in Vegas. She said the big work hours and stress of trying to get the crop out and training kinda had us ran down and susceptable to the nasties out there. Normally we would have been done by the first week of Nov and had the biggest training weeks AFTER harvest. Not to be this year. So guess we just try and make the most of it. Did I tell you I'll be glad when this year is over, ya thought so, sorry !!

Oh BTW bought me some cool race duds at Wally world a few weeks ago. Scored some sweet cotton sweats for $6 to wear to the start line.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

the big yellow orb . 

I am kind of a Wayne Dryer fan. 

Me too, his "Power of Intention" really made an impact on me.  Currently listening to "Excuses Begone."

Hey folks!  I'm gone for a few days, and Arla has run another 1/2 marathon.  Why am I not surprised?  And a PR no less Smile

And Leslie has been to another conference, but still getting the miles done.  Again, no surprise.

Joe, good week for you to catch up on reading and such, eh??

Jim, really hoping 2010 will be the year of less suckiness for you, Lynda, and the rest of your community.  The vegas race/getaway sounds like just what you need.  What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, so you planning on leaving those sweats there?

Ev, nice runs for you in spite of ... well ... what happened on Sunday.

Been allowing life to get in the way of my workouts this week.  It has been 3 days since my last run, walk, swim or bike.  Scooter the dog went to our vet yesterday and is going back to the surgeon today...appears he has some infection working, and may have popped a few stitches.  Jury Duty starts tomorrow for me in Ft. Worth, so plans are sort of on hold until we see what's going on with that.  Trying to wrap up work tasks today.  Not sure what we will do if Scooter needs meds, to be walked, etc. several times a day since neither of us will be home.  We will be hosting Thanksgiving, and my mom is pressuring me for the menu I haven't figured out yet.  Hey, it's not the day before yet, is it??  I think I need one of those motivational talks about now.   

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Nice 6er this morning in 22 degree temps but otherwise IRC with brilliant sunshine, a gorgeous no wind morning.

Carol take it as it comes, you'll do fine, it doesn't have to be perfect.............my attempt at a motivational speech.....

Contractor promises me we can dump corn in the new bin tommorow, appears doubtful but weather looks to hold. We are heading up to my custom job when the frost clears.

Ev, I caught the end of Wayne on a PBS program last spring or summer but never caught the whole program, guess I need to see if I can get it on dvd from PBS,

later gators