Masters Running

2009 marathon and/or other race suggestions for Holly (Read 380 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, let me throw this out there. My DH said to me this morning, “What do you want for Christmas? How about air fare and registration fee for any race you want to run next year? Shocked Shocked Shocked Does that man know the way to a runner’s heart or what? But I need to hedge this with a couple things: 1. DH gets a bit exuberant sometimes, and I don’t know yet if we can actually afford this yet. One root canal, car repair, or water heater mishap could shoot it out of the water. 2. There would still be accommodations and traveling expenses to think of. I’d probably have to try to shack up with someone, and unlike SR’s friend, I am not tall, blonde, OR single. Still, it’s out there, and so it’s got me thinking. What would be a good 2009 race, besides Boston of course, where there might be a great boomer gathering, or at least one that would welcome MY company?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

You want a big race with lots of hoopla? Or a smaller race? You want pretty scenery? Or big city?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Spring or Fall?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

DoppleBock

Common ... more info SR likely can tell you costing of most races. I did Houston @ $500 - Plane fare, 1 night in hotel, shuttle to hotel, race fee, paking at the airport, gas, food, all inclusive. My wife and I spent 4 days in Vegas for @ $1,200 Boston was too expenseive - Solo it cost me @ $1,000 Is this SOLO or a Couple thing? Drive or Fly

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A bunch of us are doing Seattle Rock and Roll June 27. Missola Mt. is in July--July 12--kids out of school, AND it is 6.5 hours and less than 500 miles from Basin, WY., which would help with the costs--would you be able to fly into Wyoming, rent a car, let the children stay with the ILs and then you and DH take a scenic drive and stay a weekend in Missoula? I'd run it, and I bet we could get some others. AND--for getting other RAers, there IS a half marathon and the course is open 7.5 hours, so very inclusive!!! http://www.runwildmissoula.org/ grins, A I know I've mentioned Casper, WY, too--June 7, http://www.runwyoming.com/. Good food and antelopes!
            Masters 2000 miles
            Mariposai

Many of us will be at the inaugural Seattle Rock and rock marathon in June. An you can room with me Wink. If you take a bit of time off we can explore either the ocean or the mountains. Of course doing a fall marathon in the east coast is aluring also. Hawaii? Alaska? the red woods....choices, choices, choices.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary - probably Spring, since I'm already booked for Columbus in October, but that doesn't totally rule Fall out if the timing is right. Dopple - probably just me. Mariposai - Really and truly? Sekritly I was thinking of that one, and meeting you is a prime reason... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Can you tell I really want to run with you?? OK, I just read your response to my MCM rr--late October, DC, could prolly get other RAers there. For you, air fare prolly not so bad, either. Might even find good family package deal, and could justify kids missing school to see Nation's Capitol! THis is fun! added: SO the Air Force one is Sept. 20, right?
                  Masters 2000 miles
                  xor

Note that for some of these choices, you'd need to decide and be decisive about it... MCM opens for registration and fills up very fast... but for others, you could ponder for a bit. Like Missoula, which you can sign up for the day before the race. Not that it matters much, but I've really enjoyed Missoula. Better than Casper. San Antonio rnr just closed out with 30,000 folks in the half and full. That's stupid-level crazy crowded. It'll be interesting to see how many people they cram into the Seattle race. Elite's marketing machine mystique should not be underestimated!

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I would LOVE to run with you, as well! Smile I don't see the date posted for AF 2009 yet, but I expect it will be September 19, 2009. We don't need to worry about the kids or DH because this would be a solo effort. DH is only minimally interested in my running stuff, and we honestly can't afford to bring the whole family along. If this is going to happen, I need to make this as cost efficient as possible. Srlopez is right that I need to see if I can register for a race before I start making arrangements to get there...

wildchild

Carolyn

I think Mtnchk mentioned the Colorado Marathon in Ft. Collins in the thread yesterday or the day before. But it's at a pretty high altitude for a flatlander (6100 ft at the start). Casper is about 5000 ft, and Missoula is at about 3500 ft. Of course, if your family isn't coming too, then one close to Wyoming isn't a high priority. So then Seattle or DC might be good choices. I'd love to join a boomer gathering sometime, too. (prolly just a half marathon.) Running at sea level would be a treat, but I hate big crowds - how do you feel about them? Maybe a small or mid-sized race would be good. The redwoods marathons (both spring and fall) sound awesome, but the location is far from any airport, so I think they would be better suited to a family vacation destination than a solo destination.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mariposai and I were going to room together for RnR... but I'm bringing DH, too. (Mariposai, wasn't your DH coming too?) We could get a suite or something with multiple sleeping options (bedrooms, pull out couch, etc) and have a big ol' slumber party! I think that's the one to do Holly... you've always said you wanted to do one on the West Coast!! And Seattle is so nice in late June!
                          munchkn883

I'll put in my two-cents here!! How about the National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, FL. It is in February. (also called 26.2 with Donna) Also enjoy the one held in the Spring in Knoxville, TN.
                            TammyinGP

I do love the Redwoods and will be going back there next fall. By airplane, it's a bit trickier to get to with connections and commuter planes. Probably better off going to a major hub. I'll be coming up for Seattle R*R also and my running partner is now trying to talk me into doing the full, instead of the half. She's doing her first HM with me in a few wks and wants us to do a full together for the first time also. As far as masters meet-ups, I think Boston and Seattle next year are attracting the largest group, so that would be a fun one.

Tammy

xor

If you want to do one of the Redwoods marathons (Avenue of Giants in May, Humboldt in Oct/Nov), you can fly to Arcata/Eureka which is pretty close. Most flights will force a hop through SFO. As for the Breast Cancer Marathon (26.2 with Donna, "National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer"), it's supposed to be my signature event... but her committee picked Valentine's Day weekend this year (the race is Sunday, 2/15). So be aware of that. It was a lot of fun last year. Now, if connecting flights is an issue (just in general) and you want to stick to a major hub, then you've focused your options tightly: Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. Going pretty much anywhere else, like Missoula, will require connecting and perhaps smaller planes. Or drives. Luckily, all hubs I can think of have a couple (or more) marathons each year very close.