Masters Running

Monday Vacation's Over Back to Work Blues (and runs) (Read 623 times)

Good morning good people. Back to the US yesterday afternoon after a week in Cancun. My DH planned a last minute vacation after we got short-changed on the Florida weather during the Disney half. We stayed at an all-inclusive, now I'm back on weight-watchers and going through detox.  Lots of catching up for me on the dailies - hope to do some reading while I'm at work today.

Also woke up to a couple of inches of fresh snow, so off to the Y. a 45 minute progression run starting with 9:54 miles and ending with 8:17, then some inclined lunges and core work. After sitting on my keester and not running a real lot, I'm sure I'll be feeling this tomorrow. Bill, don't know how you run in H&H, I guess I'm a cold weather girl at heart.

I missed you guys - brought you some tequilla and t-shirts. Were you good while I was gone?

Oh yeah, Will grew 3 feet while we were away!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

What fun JLynne!!!   I was getting worried about you this past week.    Welcome back to the real world.

Rest day for me.   Yesterday I made Beef Bourgeon and Chocolate almond cake - Julia  Child style.     Quite simply -   YUM.   I took pictures but I think I might get fined if I post them.  Big grin

Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – so glad you are starting the daily today!  I think you mentioned that you were heading off to sunny parts, but I had forgotten and was wondering what had become of you.  We were getting ready to send off a search party.

Mary - I've been craving Tammy's ginger snaps for a week, but my waistline tells me this is not a good time for cookie baking....

We’re having a warm day today before the next cold front - 36° heading up to a high of 42°, but raining all day.  I don’t mind the rain, though – I’m hoping it will wash away the snow, which is pretty dirty and not looking so fresh right now.

3 recovery miles on the TM watching Transformers II, followed by front raises, dumbbell curls, reverse flies, triceps extensions, glute raises, various crunches, chin-ups and 53 push-ups (20+20+13).

Here’s a couple shots of my kids building their snowman Saturday.

Well, I managed to get the photos up, but I can't get them any bigger than that.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Just to give you some perspective, the snowman is taller than I am.  The top of my head only comes up to DS's nose now.  I can hardly believe how much that child has grown in the last year.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Yeah!  Jlynne is back!!  We missed you too!  Going from fun in the sun to snow is not exactly fair.  NO, we were not good while you were gone.

Mary - I'm droolling - probably a good thing you passed on the pics.  Chocolate and almonds go so well together.

Stumpy - I read something recently - I think it was on the Runner's World site - about using ellipticals to rehab a running injury.  It said something like resistance of 8 to 12 or more and cadence of 140 -150 for runners.  I've been doing lower resistance, but started stuggling to get my heart rate up.  This morning I started trying intervals of higher resistance.  I warm up with 10 minutes with incline at 10 and resistance at 4. Then I turn the resistance up to 8, and the incline up a notch for 2 minutes, increase the incline again and drop the resistance to 5 for two minutes, etc.  When I get up to 20 I reverse the process.  The changing incline and resistance helps keep the numb toes at bay.   I try to keep my cadence  in the 160 to 180 range. 

Holly - yes, it is too early to fawn, and I wonder if she was in the process of aborting.  She got up and down several times and kept looking at her flank.  Unfortunately, she departed before anything happened - hope she is OK. 

Erika - the absence of snow in the picture is deceptive.  The snow along the rock fence and in the trees has melted, but I can't say the same for my agility area or the rest of the yard which are still under 4 to 8 inches of snow.   It has to melt sometime, doesn't it??

Carolyn - sorry to hear about the leg/foot pain - good job of listening and backing off!

65 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  I forgot the chest monitor - I lose my brain over the weekend and it takes a couple of work days to find it again.

Yesterday I braised a pork roast in sweetened Japanese saki and other assorted condiments and spices I found while rummaging through my pantry.  Tossed in new red potatoes, baby carrots, onions and green beans and let it bake in the oven for 2.5 hours.   We polished off the huge bowl of veggies and most of the meat - wish I had been paying more attention to the ingredients. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

Did everyone catch Perchcreek's post at the end of yesterday's daily? 

20 slo (3:28:00) miles but got er done and no knee issues!

That's good news!

As for my running, pass that tequila.  It''ll probably taste great with the slice of key lime pie I'm eating right now...  Nothing is wrong with my body.  My 18 miler went well (even with a breakfast break).  Yesterday was dump on wife/Mom day and I really didn't appreciate it.  The 7 miles I was willing to break up into pieces to fit around everyone else's needs ended up totalling a lousy 1.5 mi walk.  On the TM.  I might have gone further, but then our very stable system that we hooked up to watch stuff while on the treadmill threw me a blue screen of death and hex dumped on me.  As it is exactly 5 years ago that I retired from the technical world, I wasn't amused, threw a fit, and went to bed.  (It was 10 pm)

Sooo, I feel like this training cycle isn't so much training but surviving some odd sort of obstacle course!  My body feels great -- my heart rate and lungs are so comfortable. My head (was) fine...but oh the things being thrown in my path!  Is this all to toughen me up for this round of racing?  I hope it works!! I hope the racing gods know what they are doing!

Renee and I did get 5 miles in on the sand this morning. It went well, so it may be a sign of a change in the wind.

Good running to all!

P.S. Holly, GREAT snowman! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Welcome back, Jlynne.  Cancun? Sounds sunny.

Cute pics, Holly.  Not sure about the troubling posting, though.

Perch--that's a long time on your feet.  Glad it was trouble-free.

((Nono))

A shootout with the Swiss, a stunning loss to the US, and a likely match-up with Russia?  Canada’s dug itself into a pretty big hockey hole….though it’s far from over.  Meanwhile, can Ryan Miller repeat that kind of performance for the US?  Wow!  Hockey is definitely a sport.

Like Holly, we’re expecting a day of rain but it was still dry this morning.  Easy 5.1 @ 8:28 + core work.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Any Monday that starts with baby Will's picture and update is going to be a GODDD Monday.

Jlyenne I was the goodest while you were gone...just send the tequila my way.

Ohhh, Tramps...Pte= presidente in Spanish.

I slept!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jlynne, welcome back!  Glad you have fun.  I may train in the H&H but I do not run well in it at all.

Holly nice pictures!  DS's do shoot up at a certain age as you're discovering.  My DS went from 5'6" to 6'3" virtually over a summer.  He passed me by while he was a sophomore in HS IIRC, and I'm no shorty as you've seen.  (He's nearly 6'5" now.)

Nono, don't mention Tequila.  My DW had a Margarita after having a couple of Manhattans Saturday night.  I don't think she'll be doing that again. 

Tramps, I just gotta say - you are running so well and so fast.  You are primed for a major great race real soon.  What do you have coming up?

The A1A (Ft. Lauderdale) Marathon and Half Marathon was yesterday and it was a Chamber of Commerce weather day.  54° to start, low humidity, mid 60's for most of the race, a high of 81° later in the day.  And the runners had good days as you might imagine.

My coworker friend ran a 1:46 HM running 7:30's for miles 12 and 13.  He's thrilled!  My sometimes training partner ran a 3:37 full to take 3rd in her AG.

As for myself, I bypassed A1A as I'll be running the Half in Tampa (Gasparilla) this weekend.  I am also feeling my fast finish LR from Saturday.  In a good way though.  I also did a bunch of long overdue Honey Do's.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Jlynne.. Cancun sounds like a fun time.. fun and sun!

nono.. 5 miles in the sand sounds good.. keep the Hope!

After running to fatigue for almost as long time as a marathon, nothing is sore today and my knee feels really good. Now it's a Stepback week to let the adaptations occur. Still testing a correlation in "Born To Run"... higher milage shoes = less injuries. After my run yesterday, my shoes (Asics 2140) had 643 miles!

2 Magic Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 19:59 (10:00, AHR 148).  Why is it that right in the middle of going up a hill, Sadie has to put the brakes on to sniff.  Running uphill dragging a stubborn dog is hard Smile

30+23 pushups

10 chinups

weights for obliques

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, welcome back to the snow! We missed you.

Holly, cute pics!  Our snow is too fluffy for snowmen.  We don't get good snowman snow till about April.

{{{Nono}}}  I hope the tequila and key lime pie make you feel better!

Perch, when my dogs stop when I'm running uphill, I use it as an excuse to stop and walk!   It's hard to run with a dog anchor, even downhill.

Today is a rest day from running, although it started with an 0.7 mile walk uphill in the snow, in the dark, at 4°F.  DD was not happy when I told her I parked at the top of the road, but she's a trooper, and she was gonna brag to her friends when she got to school.  Of course her school backpack weighed about 50 pounds, but I traded packs with her about halfway. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Nono, don't mention Tequila.  My DW had a Margarita after having a couple of Manhattans Saturday night.  I don't think she'll be doing that again. 

Oh my!!!!  My jaw dropped on that one.  I thought I was the only person nutty enough to do something like that.  Hey, I like Manhattans. Hey I like Margaritas!  Hello floor!  {{ Mrs. Breger! }}

mariposai, I'll arm wrestle you for the tequila.    Or do you think Jlynne brought back a big enough bottle to share?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Still testing a correlation in "Born To Run"... higher milage shoes = less injuries. After my run yesterday, my shoes (Asics 2140) had 643 miles!

You mean I've been throwing out my shoes just when they get broken in?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly!  {and everyone}-------> A week from today is MARCH!  <---------------

I was just a slug yesterday.  Such a dreary day we had; should have gone to the gym but I played hookey.

Will try to stop by later in the day. 

Welcome home, Jlynne.

Good to see dive and perch running pain-free.

Hiya deez!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

mariposai, I'll arm wrestle you for the tequila.    Or do you think Jlynne brought back a big enough bottle to share?

Sorry, ladies. Only brought back 2 bottles. My greatest fear with having liquor packed in my suitcase is that the bottles break and everything I own gets soaked (not that this would be a bad thing )

Holly - great pictures!

Mary - pictures of food, please. I'm sitting here going through food withdrawal and I'm starved!

You too, Sue. That pork sounds marvelous. You are a brave soldier to spend that much time on the eliptical. How's your healing coming along?

Nono - sorry you didn't get enough "me" time yesterday. That's pretty important stuff.

Tramps - great hockey game last night! Did you see the interview with the US team that won the first gold medal?

Perch - that's a lot of miles on a pair of shoes. No issues, really?

Sounds like perfect weather for your race, Bill. Are you doing a RR?

How are your snow levels, Carolyn? Nice of you to help DD carry her backpack. Have your injuries gotten better?

evanflein

So what's the thing about March? Just another month of winter for us...

Welcome home, Jlynne! We were all worried you'd been abducted by aliens or something. Glad you had a nice break in the sun. Those all-inclusives are fun, aren't they? We went to one in Turks & Caicos years ago with a group. I think the guys were on a mission to drink all the free beer they could possibly hold. I think those places should come with a coupon for a month of WW and a week of detox for afterward.

{{MrsBurger}} Some lessons just need to be repeated.

Holly, I love introducing DS2 to people who haven't seen him in years. I swear he grew more last weekend. I think he's close to 6'2" and he'll be 16 in July. Cute snowman your kids made. Your DD takes after her mother.

Another mild day today, but I won't be running. Probably hit the gym at lunchtime but I have errands, too. Pool running after work.