Masters Running

The May 1 Daily, 5.1.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s serendipitous workouts & races:

RunnerKSA (4.5 peaceful, cloudy deer-free miles)

BerthaSlayer (1 TM recovery mile after yesterday’s half)

Tramps (13 train-wreck miles in warm/humid weather)

CMDan (3.1 quick miles)

Marj (lots ‘o walking)

Pfriese (3:47:43 in OKC Marathon for another BQ)

Catwhoorg (9.2 pre-wedding miles, including 4 X 1200 VO2 max intervals)

Holly (15.2 miles)

Evanflein (14.1 miles, feeling hard from the start, with stretching stops)

Wildchild (14 trail miles with impressive company)

Mariposai (18 miles: 5K [2nd AG], then post-nap 15 miles)

RunnerKSA, congrats on your 666 day streak!

Welcome back, BerthaSlayer. Congrats on finishing the trail half, especially with a chest cold.

Wise words on adjusting to H&H, Tramps. Yes, it is serious trouble when we stop sweating!

Congrats on the high-mileage month in nearly a year, Catwhoorg.

Congrats on another BQ, Pfriese.

Rochrunner, Spring weather (at least around here) is all over the place temperature-wise, making consistent workouts challenging.

Creative cross-training, Dave. Does anti-matter matter at all?

Holly, you never cease to amaze me, and your days would definitely wear me out. I’m glad Rosie is keeping up the good fight (with the slipper).

Evanflein, I hope you let the guy with the loader know about all the damage he did, and the town’s road crew too. They really need to be told when they screw up, otherwise they may never know, and may do it again. Congrats on the 200-mile month.

I’m very sorry about Gabbi’s passing, Spacityrunner. A sad time, indeed.

Congrats on the monthly prime, Wildchild, and on meeting and running with Tonia.

Big congrats on a successful weekend of race organizing and racing, Mariposai.

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers for our relatives. DW’s sister and her DH are still in the hospital. BIL had surgery (broken foot) yesterday, and SIL is scheduled for today/tomorrow. They’ll both need some serious rehab and recovery time, but we think they’ll be OK. They were hit head-on by another car that was going too fast around a curve and went into the lane of oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, the other driver didn’t survive the crash. Very scary and sad all around. DW will likely be flying down tomorrow to help out, at least through the rest of this week. Most of the rest of the family (13 siblings) are lining up to take turns doing whatever needs to be done.

SRD to start the month, with lots of stretching and core work.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4 this morning in some warm (70's), humid air.  Rain started just as I got back to my car. If I was any slower I would have got wet.

Rest of the week looks nice with the high's only in the 70's or lower.

Tramps

Jay--glad there's plenty of family to help out after the accident.  ("SRD"?)

Dave--loved the Dave/Holly "question". 

Mariposai's organizing races, placing in her 5K AG, and then going out for a 15-miler! Helluva weekend

Wildchild--I think I'd be rolling around in that snow to cool off.  Hard to believe; 90F+ both days here this weekend.  Cool to be running with another elite athlete.

Spa--Awww, I bet that cat had a wonderful life with you.

I did 6 miles that kicked my butt again.  WTH?!  H&H, pollen, and now flies are just killing me worse than usual this year for some reason.

We have had three 90F+ days in April (April!!), including both days this weekend, which helped make it the warmest April on record.  It's gonna be a l-o-n-g summer.

Be safe. Be kind.

That's good news, Jay.

5.1 miles- 1 deer on my last Poconos run before heading back to TN.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Jay, I am glad that your family is recovering but am sad about the other driver.

Spacity, I am so sorry about your kitty.

Today I ran another one miler that served it's purposes even though it felt awful. It loosened my back up a bit (don't know what i did to it but have a massage scheduled tomorrow to try to remedy it) and it loosened some of the congestion a smidge. I am not going to lie. I am more than a little concerned because this week was supposed to be my last week of hard running and then taper. I am uncertain how the coach is going to adjust my week. Likely another cutback week and then hard week next week and shorter taper. Stupid germs.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 for me, rained a bit, and was a bit breezy, but got them done.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I need to go back and ketch- up, but Congratulations!! to Paul for his BQ!  Woot woot!!

The legal professionals association I'm a member of had its first (maybe annual) rummage sale on Saturday to raise money for our general and scholarship funds.  We did better than anticipated $$-wise, but I am also very happy to report that my bursitis did better than I anticipated, as well.  There was a lot of lifting and walking involved, and things weren't feeling all that bad by the end of the day.  Then yesterday I spent the day on my hands and knees, getting up and down, cleaning our extra bedroom, and although I could tell the inflammation was rearing its head, again, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.  This has me feeling cautiously optimistic about getting through this.  If things keep on this trend, I might try to go for an extended walk later this week.  Fingers crossed!!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend, and here's to a good week ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Gotta love the goddesses who think they're not in distance running shape but, in spite of everything else going on in their lives that they're doing, nevertheless, somehow figure out how to squeeze in runs of 14, 14.1, 15.2, 18, etc. miles. as if nothing more than a Sunday afternoon walk in the park for the rest of us.

Speaking of walking, first morning five miler after two busy nonrunning weeks.  Same as Dave59 though and successfully beat the day's rain for a desperately-needed dry run in case the possibly sunny skies threatened for the end of the week actually materialize this time and raingear won't be needed.  We'll see.

Erika - sounds like some of the thoughtless big city workers around here who seem to excel at not doing more than the minimum required, if that, without regard to others, may have moved north for high pay or something.  Too bad.

ps - paul's resurrection of the Intrepid

and posie's weekly forum for race

reports much appreciated.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Afternoon all.

Total rest day today. So today, mainly catching up on things I've been letting go while training for OKC. 

What tetsujin209 said needs to be repeated:

Gotta love the goddesses who think they're not in distance running shape but, in spite of everything else going on in their lives that they're doing, nevertheless, somehow figure out how to squeeze in runs of 14, 14.1, 15.2, 18, etc. miles. as if nothing more than a Sunday afternoon walk in the park for the rest of us.

Thanks to everyone for all the congrats.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Evanflein, I hope you let the guy with the loader know about all the damage he did, and the town’s road crew too. They really need to be told when they screw up, otherwise they may never know, and may do it again. Congrats on the 200-mile month.

+1

{{{Spacityrunner}}} - so sad to lose a furbaby.

Leslie - that sounds like good news!

No run for me today, just about 20 minutes of light weights.  Fortunately, my back/flank pain is healing up, but I still didn't want to do any core work until it is fully gone.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Evanflein, I hope you let the guy with the loader know about all the damage he did, and the town’s road crew too. They really need to be told when they screw up, otherwise they may never know, and may do it again. 

The guy with the loader won't be back. We've already talked to someone else about it, and will be using his services in the future. The really stupid part is, he was supposed to be there at 1:30, and DH took off time from work to be there when he showed up. DH got home at 1:15 to be sure to catch him, and the guy had already come and gone. That's almost as bad as the 5 hour availability window the cable guy gives you, only to show up half an hour before and claim you weren't available. And the "town road crew" is our contractor for our subdivision's road service area. That's how our rural subdivision roads are maintained. DH is one of the road service commissioners. And the stupid part here is, they're they same contractor who resurfaced the road last fall so it's not like they didn't know there was a lot of new material on the road. Anyway, it's must more dumb $hit we deal with here in the far north.

Tramps, I got my first mosquito bites on Saturday while doing the road material replacement. Seems too early for those buggars! Time to break out the window screens. And SRD is Scheduled Rest Day.

Lori, a short taper might be just fine. Hope you're feeling better.

Glad to hear Leslie's butt is better and Holly's back, too. Keep it up, girls!

Rest day for me, too. Not so much scheduled, but I go till I feel I just really need a break, and I'm there.

spacityrunner

Early this morning I got a call from Gabbi's regular vet (who was off this weekend) expressing his condolences.  I thought that was pretty good of him.

It was such a beautiful day I told the boss I'd be late and joined the trail gang for some Hot Springs Mountain miles. 5.6 of them to be exact! Slow as a turtle (well, I think they were even passing me) but got er done. 1:32:08 for a 16:18 m/m. I will just have to do that mountain more often. Last time was way back in September! and that was for a hike.   I can't let those trails beat me!

Trails Rock!