Masters Running

Sunday Sept 13th - Where is everybody today? (Read 330 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

I can't be the first one to start the daily - it's after noon in the Mountain time zone!   Where is everybody today?

I didn't PR in my 10K, but I did win 1st in my AG as a consolation prize!    What a surprise - I've run this race 4 years in a row, and never placed higher than 10th in my AG before.  I think it's because they added a 13K race distance this year, in addition to the 5K and 10K, so that thinned the field.  Whatever, I'll take it! 

Very chilly when I woke up - 35°, and I had to scrape ice off my windshield.  But it warmed up to nearly 50 by race time, so it was IRC. 

Hope the rest of you are all out running or something...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Hi Carolyn.   the site was down!   congrats on your 1st in AG.   pretty good for a consolation prize!     it was IRQ here too.  

I posted this on KR, but skipped the TMI.   will still skip it for now.  18.23 miles, 10:14 av. pace, 8:23 max.  That does not include fueling stops.

Big grin

A little low on energy but not comatose, so, progress!

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

Welcome back Nancy! 

Well I did post first, but whatever.  Smile

---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<

Oh good, RA is finally up.  I guess I'm the first in [!].  Better post quickly before someone else collides with me Smile

Ran on the C&O Canal tow path again, next to the Potomac River.

20.2 miles, 2:56:38, 8:45/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR)

5@9:08(136), 10@8:44(148), 5.18@8:25(159)

MTA: Nice race, Carolyn!  Hardware -- sweet!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Lou, sorry!  We must have posted at about the same time. Nice long runs for you and Deb today! 

My "hardware" was a geode slice - very pretty!  Provided by a local shop in Nederland.  I would post a picture, but DH took our only working camera on a week long fishing trip to Alaska. So it's just us 4 girls at home this week (me, DD, and both Ddogs).

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hi everyone.

We are in Sedona and I tackled a Peter Special (or Erika Special) this monring.  14 moh (miles of hills) in 2:08 and change.  The hills were relentless and two of them were brutes - almost not moving near the top - but I didn't walk a step.  I feel okay afterwards today but we'll see how my legs feel in about two days!

Back to gazing at the Red Rocks ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congrats Carolyn!!

18+ for dg!! WTG!

Nice 20 Lou!

I had a pretty intense run today. Target was 19 miles averaging 8:12 pace and ended up with 19 miles in 2:35:10 (8:10 pace, AHR 160) with 11 miles (3-13) at 7:56.  For some reason I feel good??

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, congratulations!  How cool!  I thought you said you weren't fast!?!

Bill, our family will be going to Sedona next July.  Are there any places we should be sure not to miss?  We're planning to make a loop to go to the Grand Canyon, the Hopi Reservation, and the Canyon de Chelly. My dad took us all over the country when we were kids, and Arizona was my favorite place.  I can't wait to go back!

Raining hard right now.  I'm waiting for it to slow down a little to get out for a run!

Well, I am in the Philly airport right now waiting for a connecting flight to Allentown (Billy Joel cue here)----client day tomorrow.

Sweet consolation prize wildchild! Nice job.

AWESOME dg!!!! Way to go.

Go Perch...you should feel good. You have been working hard.

Nice runs for all here and in all climates it appears.

24 miles for me at 7 am--partly cloudy--8:43 average pace with 6 @MP. First 17 with Iron J before she peeled off. Tired but happy as the run felt strong. Hit peak mileage for the cycle (81 miles this week) and now I'll start bringing the volume down gradually while maintaining the intensity. Yee Haw!

Until soon!

Hi everyone,

So glad to know I wasn't the only one who couldn't get on RA.  I was so stressed that i left a cyber message to no one about it!  Maybe that's what got it up and running (no pun intended).

Great job Wildchild!  35 degrees, what???No excuses for winning - you earned it!

WTG - WRFB!

Bregar, i'm in awe.

Teresa, hope you got to run.

I went for an attempted 8 to 9 miler this morning, and had to wait until RA was up and running to see how far I actually went.

Yes, I still use the map.  I so need a Garmin, sigh.  Anyways, turns out it was only 7.7. Blah.  Oh well, I ran in a 5K 

race yesterday and won my AG and the prize was a tin of Christie cookies!!  (It was the Christie Cookie 5K!! in Nashville.)  It was quite hilly, and I still broke 30 minutes, plus beat out 3 others, so I was happy.  

Happy week ahead to all.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!  Lots of great runs yesterday and today, and Conratulations to Walt and Wildchild and Fussyrunner on their AG wins, and to Dg on her Longest Run Ever!  And Spareribs, on top of a running a great race, exhibited profound kindness.  Perch and CNYrunner – wow!  And Fatozzig had a great LR, too, as well as more by others that I am forgetting...

Mariposai - welcome back!

20.10 miles for me today:

6 easy paced (ave 9:36)

9 at goal MP (goal was 8:45, reality was 8:37 ave)

5 slower and slower miles with walking breaks when I got at bad side stitch at mile #16.

Tough run for me today, sluggish to start with, MP miles were a struggle, then that side stitch that wouldn’t relent, and I was exhausted those last few miles.  Add to that digestive issues that had me running for the woods several times.  The last 20-miler was easier than this one – I think my training is going backwards.  Ah well, I only have one more of these to do, along with next week’s HM, and then I head into taper mode.

Those sidestitches - I wish I knew what caused them.  I rarely get them, but what a PITA they are when I do.  One of those can seriously derail race goals - I hope I don't get one of those at my goal race....

My soccer team lost again, but this time it was only 3-1, and they really played very well.  I was extremely proud of them.  And, like Erika says, as long as the snack at the end is good, I don’t think most of them care that much about losing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No side effects from yesterday's fall, 13.1 @ 10 minute pace (right on schedule) the big 20 miler next Sunday... DW still hurt no run again.

dg.  Great job on the long run, I see you're going to Columbus, same day as mine. Columbus is 140 miles & flat  but I'm going 950 miles to Maine for some serious hills. 

Congrats Carolyn on AG 1st  Walt 7 minute pace on a trail is smokin'  Great run!!! 

Lou is that C&O trail as good as it looks on its website?  I see it connects to the Alleghany  Passage which connects to the Moutour trail which pretty close to home.  So I'm thinkin' of riding to DC when I retire in 21 months. 420 miles and 3 day ride so it will take a lot of planning.   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Theresa,

When you get to Sedona, you'll know what to do.  Look at the Rocks, maybe take a nice hike and try to find a vortex, go for a Pink Jeep tour, maybe visit slide rock.

I would also suggest, when you're making the Grand Canyon loop, try to make it to Antelope Canyon - slot canyons a bit east (an hour or so?) of the Arizona side Grand Canyon National Park.

Why Antelope Canyon?  Check this out ...

Bill

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/West/Arizona/Page/photo340061.htm

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Very nice carolyn!!  It's all about who shows up on any given day ... congrats!

Nice LR dg, Holly, CNYRunner, WRFB and Perch!!!

Nice other runs too ...

Yep slow day, rest day for me.  Ran 7+ miles yesterday with 4 x 1 mi repeats at goal MP.

Kiddos are both sick and so is DH, I woke up with a sore throat this morning ... ugh, if I'm gonna get sick hopefully I'll be better by next Fri/Sat.  6 day forecast is looking good but there's still 6 days ... so a lot can change ...

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
                            Slo

dg !!!!! Way to go.

Very nice LR CNY

Congrats on the 1st place AG Wildchild.

My last LR and now I'm in full blown taper mode. 20.11 miles. My goal was a steady MP + 20sec pace and a strong finish. I was a little faster than planned Miles 1 - 17 @ avg pace of 8:11 Miles 17 - 20 @ 7:30. The work is done.....now we need good weather and a little race day magic.

Lou is that C&O trail as good as it looks on its website?  I see it connects to the Alleghany  Passage which connects to the Moutour trail which pretty close to home.  So I'm thinkin' of riding to DC when I retire in 21 months. 420 miles and 3 day ride so it will take a lot of planning.   

We like it but because it's flat and shady.  It's pretty much the same -- trees and more trees -- the whole way we run.  Once in a while there's a lock and a lockkeeper's house on the side.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com