Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.16.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.5 drippy miles + 2.5 post-work TM miles)
    Tammy (peach picking cross-training)
    Fatozzig (1 hr. core/ST work)
    Wildchild (8 morning trail miles with friends)
    Mariposai (9 early morning miles)

Twocat (13 morning miles in 70° dew point)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 20 post-work bike miles in hot & sticky)

Spacityrunner (2 sunset miles in 75% H)

Pfriese (3 morning miles with no PF problems)

Evanflein (6.3 nighttime, post-rain miles)

Travel well and enjoy Crested ButteC, RunnerKSA.

Smart mover to take Monday off, Tammy. And have fun at XC practice.

Fatozzig, good luck to the Hub on his vacation, hopefully with no back or hip damage. Good luck with your ‘pain-free’ plan.

Tet, my Garmin (220) tracks my cadence so I don’t have to do the counting.

Congrats to Andrea on finishing the Bigfoot 200. Yeah - I’d pass on a 200 miler too, unless I was driving… Good luck to you with pacing Mindy at Leadville on Saturday.

That’s a long time to wait for a fridge, Mariposai - both since July 4th, and all day yesterday! I hope you like it.

Good luck with the blood test and the clearance exam, Twocat.

Welcome back to the running side of things, Pfriese.

Sorry about the bedtime thunder, Cat.

Good reason to get up early, Mike - good for you.

Health coverage question: SIL and her DH were in a bad car accident in May - hit head-on by another driver who was clearly at fault, and who did not survive. SIL & DH's medical bills are through the roof, and still piling up. Their and the other driver's auto insurance don't begin to cover it all. They are on Medicare, which doesn't cover car accidents, and live in GA. They are suing the other driver's estate, but know there is little there. They don't have enough in savings/investments to cover their medical costs. They have lived their whole lives as honorable, respectful, hard-working citizens. But now they are thinking that their only option may be to declare bankruptcy to protect their home and basic possessions. The question is, do they have any other options?

I went 6.7 soupy RW miles in 66° temps with the humidity somewhere in the mid-90s. Not my idea of a great time, but I got it done.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay. Can they sue the culprit's insurance company?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Jay - what Rosie said.  Sorry to hear.

Yesterday - started to fizzy lift, but didn't have the motivation.

Went to the track instead, and did 4 x 1 mile - trying to hit 7:45.  Instead did 7:30, 7:15, 7:15, and 7:13.  Bad pacing.

Today - 7 easy planned, with a spinnerooni kicker.  Looking forward to an Acadia vacation.  Wild blueberries and bears!

Dave59

Their and the other driver's auto insurance don't begin to cover it all. They are on Medicare, which doesn't cover car accidents, and live in GA. 

No answers for you, but maybe that is why my insurance agent always has us get such high coverage amounts in medical/liability areas.  (Way above the state's requirements.)

This morning was a humid and painfully slow 4 miles.  My body's cooling mechanism just doesn't work anymore so I crash hard on days like these.  I think I may just switch to indoor cross training at the gym until things are bearable outside.  I don't do much better on the gym treadmills even though they are indoors.  But I do ok on other machines.  Not sure why that is.  I don't like treadmills anyway so I'm ok with cross training.

TammyinGP

Jay, I worked in plaintiff's personal injury law for 10 yrs and these are the types of cases I worked on. I assume when you say that their and the at-fault driver's insurance doesn't cover all their med bills, that means they've already received the policy limits? 

Short run last night when I got home. just 2.3 miles. It was so nice and pleasant out - one of those nice cool summer evenings. Today (first day of fair of course!) it heats back up to upper 90's.  I'll run the TM at the gym after work today since it'll be so hot again.

Tammy

evanflein

Ditto on what Dave said. State mandated insurance levels are pretty much always insufficient. If there's no estate, and the insurance policy is tapped out, I don't see that there's any recourse. This is why uninsured/underinsured insurance on your own policy is so important. You can't sue the insurance company if they paid out according to the client's policy. Where do you see that they have any further liability?

I'm sorry to hear about your family, Jay.  If there's other recourse, they should look at bankruptcy as an avenue.  Our dept secretary had treatment for vaginal cancer a couple of years ago.  She and her husband barely live paycheck to paycheck.  Our boss talked to her about filing for bankruptcy.  To me it's one thing if a person put themselves in financial hardship, but it's a whole other thing when it's totally out of your control.

Carolyn - The camping  mat issue - Can I say because he's not using his brain?  I did make him take an extra blanket to put underneath him.  We'll see how long this all lasts or if he decides cheap hotels would better, or he ends up at his friend's house in St. Helens earlier than anticipated. 

And I want to hear all about Leadville when you get back!!!  Regarding Bigfoot 200 - too cool!  Not something I could ever do, but I sure do admire the folks who can.

30 min of core/ST this a.m.  Focusing on glutes with bands.  Something new I did has things right on the edge of barking, but not bad.  I almost lifted the jug of water to put on the dispenser at work.  At the last moment it hit me what a stupid move that would be.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

1.3 miles at 3:50 am to keep the streak going.  Stuck in Denver traffic now.  Will go through Leadville!

Jay- that's terrible.  They should see a good lawyer.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch.

No ride today

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Four hot soupy miles.

steph  

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - maybe before proceeding with bankruptcy, because of the circumstances beyond their control, talk to the hospital about ways to defer collection proceedings and consider possible gestures of goodwill to help out. e.g. pay $25/month, volunteer half-a-day a week, have friends help, fund-raisers, etc. Probably not acceptable, at least they would know they tried all options before bankruptcy. Either way, the seven years bankruptcy is minimal compared living with the physical and emotional after-effects of the accident the rest of their lives.  Good luck.

Jay- that's terrible.  They should see a good lawyer.

double yes, for sure. Talk to several who might offer free consultations/evaluations for personal injury cases in case of similar incidents at the same place or if there’s some vehicle defect or some obscure road regulation or little safety measure the Department of Transportation might’ve missed.

Blood test

2C - by coincidence, even though I was specifically told no need to fast for an appointment this week, I did anyway and, sure enough, was able to avoid another appointment when the doc ordered a blood test, after all.  His nursing aide told me she processes 30-35 patients a day so I’m okay with helping out as much as possible, especially when it helps me.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

1.3 miles at 3:50 am to keep the streak going.  S

You are ONE DEDICATED runner. I so admire you!!!

Enjoy Colorado.

TeaOlive, tell us a little bit more about you. For how long have you been a runner? Training for anything specific right now?

Howdie TaperBoy, how is the biking coming along? Any upcoming trip up north to see your grandson?

My butterfly wings enjoyed another gorgeous morning, a title bit cool, but with a nice breeze. 9 miles total for the day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - so sorry!  But others here have offered better advise than I have.

Okay, I probably did not admit that, earlier in the summer, 15yo DD was at a birthday party for a friend that got busted by the police (people parking badly brought them, and they apparently discovered many underage teens and alcohol present).  I was not aware DD was going to this party (she was spending the night at a friend's - long story) until I got a call at 1:30 am from the police, asking permission  for DD to go home with her friend's mother, who they called. The officer did not indicate that DD was intoxicated, but that she had admitted to having "one drink" earlier in the evening.  DD was then grounded, cellphone taken, other measures, etc.  Anyway, I did not realize until 6pm last night that the police had filed charges and sent a summons for a court date (today).  DD had intercepted the summons and hidden it and did not disclose until last night, afraid of whatever.  And because the party was at a town 45 minutes away, of course the Juvenile Court was nearly 1.5 hours away. So, that was how I spent a large part of the day, since the 10am hearing was not actually finished until 12:30pm.  And, while DD received Diversion, which means her record will be erased in 6 months, she and I will have to attend the all-day diversion class in early November (did I mention the 1.5 hour drive to this place?

No workout for me today, because frankly I was so upset by all of this I was physically ill.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly...that sucks.

I did 10 miles, today, including 7 tempo miles on a 1/2 mile hilly course while the cc kids did hill repeats.  A tempo run on a hilly course is not fun.  But having the kids there to cheer me on made it all worth it.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

3.1 miles in swampy soupy conditions...feels like 101f at 7:30 p.m.    I was speedy enough for those conditions that I was smiling at the end.  

Jay:  good advice here...I would like to add that when facing a major stressor in life it is very nice to have someone that is trusted helping in the decision making process...including when meeting with an attorney.  Good and smart people can get overwhelmed when facing crisis and head down the less fruitful path very easily.

Holly I sure do hope that this is a one time issue and not a precursor of things to come.

Trails Rock!