Masters Running

Thursday, Sept. 17 Runs and Rests (Read 378 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning and Happy Birthday to my mom who is 93 years young today.  Big grin

Unexpected rest day for me.   Off to the doctor when I can get in for what I think is bladder infection or uti.   Not one thing it's another lately.    Last night cross training was moving my daughter out of her 3rd floor apartment (more like 5 floors as it is an OLD building) into her new apartment on the 2nd floor.    Just the two of us .... we had lots of giggles at times.

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good luck at the doctor's, Mary.  Hope it's nothing serious.

11 crisp, cracklin' miles this morn.  Felt sproinky for the first time in (what seems like) ages.  The combination of 50 degrees, low humidity, and not running since Sunday had a lot to do with it.  Nice.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Rest day for me, no workout, no running, nada. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.5 recovery miles at 9:41 min/mile pace.  The legs felt pretty cruddy till about mile 3 or so.  Mission accomplished.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Sounds like you and your DD had a good time Mary.  Happy Birthday to your Mom ! 

Nice run PBJ....gotta love these cool mornings.

My plan was to do an easy 2 mile warm up and a 2 mile cool down with some MP miles in between. I ended up with 9.45 OA @ an avg pace of 7:55. A nice cool 52 deg's, slight breeze and a star filled sky.

Splits

2 miles @ 8:24

6 miles @ 7:44

1.45 miles @ 8:07

A very nice run.

Many enjoyable miles wished to everyone.

Morning, gang!

Mary - Hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon!

(((((Eliz's Mom))))

PBJ - nice sproinky run - it is a beautiful morning in CT.

Holly - enjoy your rest day!

After a few days of more soreness than usual, I decided to sack the hill run this morning and just do a progressive run on the treadmill.  1 mile warmup at 5.5 mph - then bumped up the mileage every quarter mile until I reached 6 mph, then bumped up again every half mile until I reached 6.6 mph (9:05 pace).  7 miles@ an overall pace of 9:48 and 149 AHR.  Yoga on the schedule for noon - I'm so glad that classes have resumed.

DH and I are spend the weekend biking in Vermont - there are frost warnings, but overall the weather should be fantastic.  So, I have to do my long run tomorrow morning........

Jesse and I have outgrown our beginning agility class and are being fast-tracked to the intermediate class.  The instructor says we're having to spend too much time standing around while the rest of the class is struggling through the exercises.  This means that I will be moving to the 6:30 time slot rather than the 8:30 class, and I won't be losing sleep on Tuesday nights any more - woohooooo!

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning good people. Mary - good luck at the doctor today. I hope it's something that will clear up quickly. UTI's are pretty miserable.

No one has earned a rest day more than Holly. Relax and have a cookie or two!

Some nice runs in cooler temps this morning. How was it for you, Bill? I talked to my DS#2 stationed in Pensacola and he said it's still been miserable - hot and humid. Of course, he's from Wisconsin so anything over 80 is hot!

Perfect weather here this morning. 45°, no wind and not a cloud in the sky. Just the way I like it.  5 miles at a 9:27 pace followed with 5 minutes jumping rope and some crunchies.

Sue - it's too soon for frost warnings. I still have tomatoes that haven't ripened yet! Congratulations on getting upgraded to the intermediate class. You guys are so smart!

Our school is sponsoring the city cross country meet today. Since I work for the athletic director, I get to help at the finish line. It will be great to see all of those young, strong runners - I'll be thinking about Teresa's boys.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy  Birthday to Hopeful's mom!  Hope the doc takes care of that infection - they're no fun.

There must be a rift in the force today - Holly's taking a day off!

My trail race last night was longer than I expected - I measured 6.8 miles. The RD said her GPS was wonky and she thought it was "a little over 6 miles."  Anyway, it was cooler than it's been for the previous 2 races, about 70° at the start, so was a nice evening on the trails.  I ran with my back-of-the-pack friend (who's also my insurance agent) and had a good time, although kinda slow at 10:13 avg pace.  Slowest mile was 11:34 uphill and the fastest was 8:52 downhill.  Next week the final trail race is short and steep; straight uphill for about a mile, and it's a slog.  But last night after the race, 4 of us were debating if we were up for it, and all talked each other into it.  Crazy runners!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice COOL runs! (send some of that dry cool air down here .. pleeeze)

It just felt aweful out there today. Planned on 5 laps of a 2.2 mile hilly route at 7:55 (MP) pace.

First loop came in at 8:14 pace -  took a needed pit stop
                    Second loop at 7:55 pace - much bettter but too hard
                    Third loop was 8:19 pace and I'd had it running hills in the pouring rain with a muggy 67°, hitting puddles unseen in the darkness...I quit!

so 6.6 milles of hills avg 8:09 pace (plus 1 mile warmup with the doggies)

My neighbor came in right behind me and said he couldn't catch up with me and was also cutting his run short... ahh validation  for slacking!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild - nice trail race!

Sue - when are we going to see a picture of Jesse?

While DS almost always buys lunch at school, DD prefers to bring a packed lunch most days.  She recently commanded me to begin putting love notes in her lunch.  So I started enclosing little notes that say things like, “Have a great day!” and “I love you!” and “You’re smart and beautiful!”  Each day when I hand her the lunchbox she asks imperiously, “Did you put my note in it?”  She’s such a princess...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

eliz, sorry to hear of your mother's fall and trips to the ER.  Healing vibes going her way and "strong" vibes going your way as you care for her.  jlynne, that weight  and energy loss doesn't sound good.  I hope it ends up being something minor and easy to remedy.  holly, I hope you have a good day off.  Of course you mean a day off of running and physical conditioning.  You still have your job, kids, husband, night class, and studying so will still do more than most people.  wildchild, nice trail race.  Happy 93rd to hopeful's mom.

Nice long runs for breger (with speedwork) and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for fatozzig (hill repeats) and deez.

This morning, it was in the low 40s when I went out and the low 60s when I finished and there was a light breeze.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:57:30 for a 9:47 pace and negative splits by about a minute and a half.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Happy Bday to Mary's mom, and {{{healing vibes}}} to Mary.

Wildchild - Nice run last night.

Holly - Enjoy that rest day.  You deserve it.

Sue - I echo "how about a pic of Jesse??"

I took what I think was the more prudent step this a.m. and sat icing my shins off and on for 1.5 hours instead of running.  I figure when I wake up in the night and they're bothering me - time to get serious.  They've been twingy, but I have to admit I haven't been really proactive, only semi-proactive.  I figure missing one 5-mile run won't completely kill my run next weekend.

Now I'm off to find out what kind of trouble my other job boss got into while I was at my other other job the last 3 days.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SLO - that was  a nice run indeed!

Jlynne  - I agree - much too early for frost warnings!  Count your lucky stars that you have tomatoes at all.  The only tomato plants that haven't been ravaged by the blight are my two in the hanging planter.  They actually have several tomatoes set (none ripe - darn!), and I'm keeping them in quarantine far away from the blighted ones.

Holly and Lynn - my apologies, I thought I had posted pictures of Jesse.  I'll remedy that situation.

Mary - I forgot to say Happy Birthday to your Mom!!  93 is quite a milestone!

TomS - you've been doing some nice mid-distance runs lately - good job!

Leslie - good choice to opt for icing - you have more sense than I do.

I'm suitably relaxed from yoga, so now it's time to get back to work (groan).......

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

evanflein

Rest day here too... well, sort of. I did bring my swimsuit for a pool run after work, but I'll keep it to 30 minutes max.

We've had frost in some areas already, but not at my house. We're up on a hill and it's warmer at higher elevations, frost hits the valley first. I've been doing a little clean up after the moose went through the garden, but nothing too strenuous.

This taper has resulted in +3 lbs so far.... gotta stop eating almonds I guess. They're my go-to power food when I'm running a lot, and as the mileage has dropped, the almond intake has not. Oh well... I'm trying to do this right so whatever happens on race day, I won't have screwed it up by doing something stupid in the days or week(s) before the race. It's hard to always be thinking about "how will this affect me tomorrow?" but thinking that made me stop pulling dead stuff out of the garden the other night. Good thing, too, as that work always leaves my lower back and hamstrings tight...

Happy birthday to your mom, Mary. (and GL at the doctor's! Get that cleared up asap!)

How's your mom doing, Eliz?

Someone else had a mom just go through some surgery or mishap too but I can't remember... Lamerunner? Hope all the mom's are recovering well!

Leslie, I had stiff wonky shins yesterday... I'm trying to not think about it too much. Good job with the icing, it'll pay off more than that run.

I've been doing a little clean up after the moose went through the garden 

A moose?!  I'll never complain about rabbits and deer again!