Masters Running

Ocean Beach Road Race or No Wonder It's Free (Read 202 times)

Henrun

The Ocean Beach 11.6 Mile race in New London, Ct. had its 46 annual running yesterday. It’s always run in the hottest day of the summer through the streets of New London and Wickersham starting at the beach at 9 a.m. The major sponsor is John Kelley (the younger Kelley of Boston Marathon fame) and there is no entry fee. Of course, there’s no Tshirt or traffic control. But there are 8 water stations along the route. The course is mostly flat except for 2 great hills at mile 8. And there’s clam chowder and fresh steamed clams at the finish. Marj and I decided to drive the 110 miles that morning. (We broke it up by spending the afternoon and evening with friends in Providence-about halfway home). Our bibs allowed us to park free in the beach park which was right along the bay. I decided to use it as a training run for our upcoming half marathons this fall. So, I went out slower than usual and found myself 3rd from the back of the pack at mile 1. It was a strong field of about 600 runners. Marj, of course, headed out at the gun and I didn’t see her until the end. I picked up the pace eventually and finished ahead of a sizeable number of runners who were affected by the heat and humidity and mostly walked the last few miles. Marj had some difficulty also and only finished 3 minutes ahead of me (she expected me to pass her as she faded). She did finish 5th in her age group and I ended up 4th in my division (My time was a leisurely 2:20). It was a challenging run and worth doing-once. Edited by Marj - not worth doing once - scenery was good only at the start and finish. Part of the run was on a cracked sidewalk. Water fires and food in Providence were wonderful!

#artbydmcbride

Still a great experience and a good training run for you guys. You are going to have strong Half Marathons for sure! Smile I wish they had clam chowder at California races.

Runners run

110 miles is sure a long way to go for a race! The post-race food sounds good too. I guess the course could have been better for all you went through to get there. Still a not so great race beats most of the alternatives for a day!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Running and eating good food is what lifes real treasures are about. Glad you enjoyed it.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

coastwalker

Hi Henry and Marj, One of the things that I admire about you two is that you are always traveling to different races to get some new experiences and perspectives. Even though the heat and humidity were beastly, it seems that you both had a decent run, good eats at the finish, and a good trip overall, with time spent with friends along the way. Good for you! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Wish I had known you two were running - I would have been there to cheer you on! I considered running this one - too bad they don't have an early morning start. A 6:00 AM start would certainly help the heat and humidity. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

As with Jay I admire you two so much, it must be a thrill to travel to so many destinations to run these various races and you get to do it together...how cool is that? Great job and keep at it, I love reading about your adventures! Big grin

Marathon Maniac #957

Clam chowder - nice, but what are water fires? Nice racing again, Henry and Marge. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hi Henry and Marge, you sure are two tough runners to pound out a race with hills in heat, humidity and cracked pavement. Clam chowder and steamed clams after a race (on such a hot day) sounds like it's for the strong! Did you really partake in the after race yummies? I always enjoy hearing from you. Hope to run with you again someday soon.

Renee the dog

Clam chowder and steamed clams after a race (on such a hot day) sounds like it's for the strong! Did you really partake in the after race yummies?
                      Yeah -- I was wondering that as well. Thanks for the report and the hilarious note at the end by Marj. Really made me smile.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

henrun, you and marj did well. The conditions sound a bit tough but the no entry fee and clam chowder at the end sound great. Congrats to both of you. TomS
                        Henrun

thanks for all your comments. Water fires are a providence ri trademark. On most Saturday nights, they light bonfires in the river that runs thru downtown. there is music played and people walk along the riverside. boats reload the fires thruout the night. It started over 10 years ago (after I moved away). The fires were lit on Saturday by a juggler with two oil containers that were awesome. we go annually using it as an excuse to see friends and enjoy the ambience. www.waterfire.org has this description (probably more than you want to know): WaterFire Providence®, the award-winning sculpture by Barnaby Evans installed on the three rivers of downtown Providence, has been praised by Rhode Island residents and international visitors alike as a powerful work of art and a moving symbol of Providence’s renaissance. WaterFire’s one hundred sparkling bonfires, the fragrant scent of aromatic wood smoke, the flickering firelight on the arched bridges, the silhouettes of the firetenders passing by the flames, the torch-lit vessels traveling down the river, and the enchanting music from around the world engage all the senses and emotions of those who stroll the paths of Waterplace Park. WaterFire has captured the imagination of over ten million visitors, bringing life to downtown, and revitalizing Rhode Island’s capital city. marj i certainly enjoyed the chowder (:Marj had a bit of it) but we only had 1 clam each. Henry