Masters Running

Hello? It's Monday - where is everyone today? (Read 441 times)

Wow - almost 8:00 AM cst and no posts yet? OK, I'll take on the task today.

Up at 4:30 and found the driveway covered with a sheet of ice and freezing rain so I went to the Y to run on the dreadmill. 4.5 miles, 9:41 pace. Followed up with some leg work (lunges, squats and machines). Then I got to school and found out there is a 2 hour delayed start because of the weather. Duh! I could have taken my time and run a few more miles.

Congratulations to Tramps, Spareribs and all of our other racers yesterday. Some of you running in pretty rotten conditions too. You earned an extra candy cane in your Christmas stocking this year.

My left foot is a total mess. I'm not running normally because I'm favoring that sore nail and now everything hurts. Sorry, Mondays are bad enough without listening to me whine. Less than two weeks until Christmas, people. Let's get that shopping done!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

jlynne - hang in there.  Monday is the best day to whine.  Hope the foot gets better.

Spinnerooni, fizzy lifting and 20 minutes of stepperfication for me this morning.  This weekend I was Christmas light challenged.  My neighbor commented that I looked like Clark Griswold.  Incidents too numerous to mention.  Let's just say that I may be on Santa's naughty list because of the string of expletives I was using.

Tramps

Jlynne—we were all waiting for you to start us off.   Be careful of that toe.  If  it’s affecting your gait, you could be heading to bigger problems.

PBJ—given your penchant for pizzazz, I bet your house is awesome…and visible from space.

Ribs—great to read about your race yesterday.  Those were wild splits!  (I laughed—again--at the Marcellus Wallace speech.)   Smart start.  Finish; maybe not so much?  It’s a bit ironic that you ran with a bit too much exuberance…like a newbie!  I suppose in some ways it is for you right now.  Hope that calf heals up quickly.  Do you have a race in mind for your 8:30 target pace?  Spring?

Carolyn—good for you for sticking to shorts.   Stanford, Schmanford; there are lots of great schools out there.  If she was even a contender for Stanford, I’m sure she’ll get in somewhere wonderful.

Leslie—I had no idea what a TRX was, so I finally googled it after your repeated references.  Interesting.  Keep us informed as to how this goes; I’m curious.

Mari—I love your commitment cultural exploration.  Very admirable and more important than ever.  What other holidays do you celebrate?

Erika—Yah on no foot pain!  But -12F!  Brrrr.   (Great moose pics the other day.)

dg—very cool that you’ve discovered active recovery.  I was sold on it by Ribs early on.

CNY—Wow!  Squeezing an AG win in between hockey games!  You’re amazing.

Yesterday’s half concluded the local Grand Prix series and I realized (1) I ran faster this year, and (2) I fell further back in the standings.  Wait a minute; that’s not supposed to happen!  Apparently everyone’s getting faster at a faster pace than me.

I’m being lazy this morning enjoying my coffee and not running until lunctime.  It’ll be a short little recovery 3-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Hey All.....{ Big Wave }

Just snuck in to say HI. I'm starting week 2 of the 7 week recovery program....so far so good. Tonights run will consist of 3x (walk 2 mins, Jog 8 mins)

JLynne, we missed the ice this morning. We may not be so lucky later today when the temps drop.

Later all !  Enjoy your your work outs !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jlynne – hit the corresponding nail on the other foot with a hammer...that should even out your gait......

So much to comment on from the end of yesterday’s daily, including Ribs’ HM (hope that calf settles down quickly), Mariposai’s amazing Hanukah dinner, and CNYrunner’s 1st AG placement in her 5-mile race – I love reading about RA folks’ adventures!

Sue – I’m making your slow cooker taco soup tomorrow....still haven’t figured out what you mean by “southwestern beans”, so I’m using black beans instead....

No run for me this morning, light x-training instead:  shoulder presses, lateral raises, triceps extensions, glute raises, butterflies, weighted squats, weighted duck squats, dead lifts, stability ball crunches, and 4 chin-ups.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Ribs.. I hope the calf is behaving

Jlynne.. there is a way to tie the shoes which reduces the foot sliding forward (and banging the sore toe)

I do a combo of teh first adn last methods shown (use the loop lock at teh top to keep the foot from sliding forward adn I also skip a crossover in the middle:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

Our neighborhood was lit up with luminaries along the roads last night.. really pretty

4 foggy fortty degree miles this morning in 40:16 (10:04 pace, AHR 151)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning, gang!

{{{{{{{{Jlynne's toe}}}}}}}}

Tramps - congrats on the faster running this year!!

Hi Slo - good to see you sneaking in a post!

Holly - I'll be there in time for the soup tomorrow ;-).  Look around in the bean and/or ethnic section of your grocery store.  I can't remember the brand name (it's not Bush's or any of other traditional bean companies), but they are called "southwest style" - probably have chiles, cumin or other southwest spices added.  I don't think they are critical - seems like I've added black or red beans when I haven't been able to find the southwest style, and the soup comes out just fine.   I like your idea of putting it on tortillas.

Perch - aren't luminaries great??  When we lived in Baton Rouge an entire subdivision would put out luminaries one weekend before Christmas and attract hundreds of ooglers. 

Post DH's departure, I got the house cleaned, the shopping done, and all of the presents wrapped........... and now I need another weekend to recover.  Wish I could say I was done, but I haven't even started the Christmas cards.

16 miles on the treadmill Saturday - we weren't up to trail running in the teens with a heavy wind.   7 miles progressive run on the TM this morning - 11:00  to warmup and gradually pushed up to 9:20. 

I pulled the car out of the garage to go to work and promptly slid down the hill to the detached garage.  Fortunately I stopped just in time - not because of my skillful driving - just stupid luck.  I got out of the car at that point and skated back to the house to wait for the sun to melt the ice. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mariposai

Carolyn, you are brave to be still running in shorts. I am whimp...40F is my cut off for short.

{{{{{Jlynne's toe}}}}}}

dg, way to go with your active recovery. I learned from ribs the role of active recovery in our life long training. We are so blessed to have the wiseone, aren't we. I have learned so much from that young man. He should write a running book.

I woke up this morning thinking about the fun the twocats must be having in Sydney. I can't wait to see pictures of their adventure.

Tramps, learning about other cultures is a life long passion of mine. No wonder that I became a cultural diversity trainer Smile. We also celebrate the  Three Kings day, Chinese New Year, Hinamatsuri, which is a Japanese celebration,  The Hindu spring celebration Baisakhi, Cinco de Mayo, Malaysia's rice harvest called Gawai Dayak, Ramadam, etc.

It is fun to celebrate different new years such as the Jewish new year  (Rosh Hashanahis) is on Sept 9-10 and on Sept. 11 is Meskerem, the Ethiopian new year.

I was told to go to the unemployment office this Wednesday to open my Christmas present, which is coming in a 8 to 5, Monday thru Friday, payed vacation and good pension packet. I guess the WA State Employment Security Dept. will be my next employer. I will be providing training to displaced workers. OH, the office is only FOUR blocks from my house! I don't even have to turn right or left, just straight down from my house.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I think I'll try Perch's idea for lacing my left shoe first. If that doesn't help Holly, I'll try yours.

Nice to see Slo posting this morning. How goes the recovery?

Sue - our driveway was just like that earlier this morning. Now it's snowing. It ought to be fun driving home tonight with the icy streets covered with 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow.

Mariposai - awesome news! I hope this new job is exactly what you've been looking for.

Sounds like a great job, mariposai!

Sue -- eek!  That must've been scary!

Tramps - nice racing this weekend.

Tough recovery run this morning -- harder than the HR would seem to indicate.  My legs and other parts feel creaky from yesterday's run (which I forgot to report).  A 15 miler shouldn't be that tough.

3.1 miles, 28:35, 9:05/mi, AHR 134 (65% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Mari, congrats on the new job!  And a four block commute is awesome!  Oh, and I don't run in shorts under 40° either, but it was 50° on Saturday when I was in shorts.  Everyone else was bundled up, though, which I didn't understand. 

We had another 6" of snow at home last night, so I drove to work in Sorel boots and a parka, and looked/felt kinda stoopid when I got to town and saw it hadn't snowed down here. But that'll make running at lunch better! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps and Ribs: nice racing, and nice reports. Congratulations on your performances.

6.1 for me at a sluggish 9:15 pace...my legs were a little sore from yesterday's hilly run.

Sounds like a nice new gig, MariP.

Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - YAY!!!

Sue - thanks.  I'll look again tonight when I stop for milk at the grocery.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Jylynne, I agree with Tramps.    Be careful!   So frustrating, though.   When is your race?

Thanks Tramps, & Nancy...  (I just got more coffee too  :-D)   Good knowing it works for you both.  (thanks Ribs).   I had heard about them, but had also read in a few books that it depended on your fitness etc. , sometimes passive was best.  Up until now I've always had too many injuries, & really needed just rest, depending on what I'd done.  And it's only been in the last month or so that I've actually been able to say that some runs were easy.   That's sounds pathetic, but it's true.  I probably didn't slow down enough, but that was in part because it still didn't feel easy, just took longer.  So it was hard to really recover with a run.   But this time it worked.   So maybe I'm finally gaining a little bit of fitness.    I did have sore hammies & my knees were acting up again by the evening, but I probably could have skipped the strider & the leg presses. 

speaking of knees, Lou, how is Harriet?   sorry your recovery run was tough.  Your max is really that high??   I'm re-reading Joe Friel's 'total heart rate training' book, & I really like it this time.  He has an interesting approach to target heart rates, (based on our LT threshold) overall load, & so on.   AND most importantly, I get to run my low heart rate aerobic endurance easy runs at between 151 & 160  hr.  Life is good. 

More speaking of knees, I think it's not helping that I haven't iced the last few times on the way home... it's just too cold in the car!  So maybe I could pack hot packs & cold packs.   (that was supposed to be funny, but I just may do it.)  It pays to be persistent!  ;-)    (tw... it's your turn). 

Hi Slo_hand!   So glad so far so good!

and, a happy Perchy run.  oh that's nice.

Sue, scary!   how did you get back into the house if it was uphill?    Once, our aging golden slid down her ramp and across the driveway.  Dressed in my robe, I threw on big floppy boots & had to pull on the cracks in the driveway to get across to her.   then was trying somehow to get her up, .. (sorry, I think I posted this on CR, but it was a long time ago).    I kept hoping noone was watching.   DH finally came outside & the two of us got her back up her ramp and safely inside.   Hmm... just realized, she never did get to pee.  Wink.    Anyway,  this is what I thought of when you said you skated back inside.

Jlynne be careful driving home! 

Nancy it sounds just perfect for you!

way too gabby again.  sorry .    today I just did some core work & pt things this morning, both Mark Verstegen's & Fitzgerald's. 

Jlynne - sorry to hear your weather is going from bad to worse - be careful out there.  We're having a temporary "heat wave" - up into the 40's today and tomorrow before the next deep freeze strikes.

Lou - yes, scary - the trip back to the house was really to clean out my pants ;-).

dg - I just had to crawl to the grass on the side of the driveway - the footing wasn't bad there.  Is that a relatively new heart rate training book you mentioned?  I like the sound of 151 to 160 - what's your max rate?

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous