Masters Running

Saturday, August 2nd - another weekend is here (Read 414 times)

I wasn't able to post yesterday's easy run of 3 miles - 24:54 (8:18) Up early this morning as I prepare to head out to meet my running buds and head off to the Beach to Beacon 10K. I found out yesterday at the number pick up and expo that there will be 5 "elite" 50 - 54 year olds at the race this year. Tom Ryan 52 (who is from Cape Elizabeth, ME) Norm Larson 52, Kevin McMahon 54, Stephen Chantry 53, and Dave Cannon 50. There is also prize money for the top three male and female seniors (50 and older) 1st - $500, 2nd - $250 and 3rd $100, so that is pretty cool. As I prepare to leave I see that it is already 66 degrees with 96 % humidity (that is the part I don't like). SO it looks like temps will likely be in the mid to upper 70's by race time with high humidity, although there is a chance that we could get a little lower humidity running closer to the ocean, but this seems to be the trend of late. I would so much rather run in even warmer temps without that darned humidity...oh well it is what it is. I have a little thing going on with my right knee that seems to bother me early in my runs but not usually after a couple of miles at all so hopefully today it won't if I warm up properly. I also have a little issue in my right hip, something I did at Yoga this week...ouch...but that doesn't seem to bother me too much when I run either. Other than that I'm just looking to go out and have a good race... Goals: 1 - Have fun 2 - Finish feeling good 3 - 41:02 or better 4 - 39:59 - probably not gonna happen but hey an outside chance! Good luck to everyone else racing. And a special shout out to Ribs - glad to hear things are going better for you - can't wait until your out there running again so I can kick your virtual butt you old curmudgeon! Wink
      good luck to you, mainerunnah and the rest of the weekend racers! meanwhile, back at snail-pace headquarters, just finished my longest long run of the year - 9 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes. nothing to brag about, except that i felt like i really conquered the hills in the last two miles, even though i'd lagged on some of the earlier flat miles. good temperature - only 60 and cloudy. no rain, though everything looked a bit fresher from the night-time shower. happy weekend to all, and glad to hear things are going well with mr ribs. susan

Renee the dog

Sitting out a thunder storm here this morning. Racing tonight at 5:30 on the sand. Can't wait! Hoping everyone has a lovely weekend and good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Susan – congratulations on your longest run of the year! Working on the “every other day running attempt” theory, I did this at the gym this morning. 30 minutes elliptical 10 minutes exercise bike 30 minutes elliptical 10 minutes exercise bike 20 minutes elliptical Still no one at the front desk. Big grin Yesterday I had a “deep friction” massage – somewhat painful, but not too bad. Don’t know if it did any good, but it’s supposed to aid in quicker healing, breaking down scar tissue etc. My focus on this point is not even on getting back to running, but on healing properly, so I don’t have a nagging injury for years to come. Today the injured area feels pretty good, but then I didn’t run today. Good luck to the racers today. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Certainly looks like Ribs is making some progress...The Saint stated, however, that she thinks he will be a model patient...I'll bet she has another think coming... Holly: Yeah, I'm icing after...and heating before...just like you instructed. For most activities, including running, groin is not bothering me much anymore..it was just some of the lateral movement you do in tennis. Twocat: Absolutely!...you CAN run & heal at the same time..I'm doing it..Sarge is doing it...I guess it depends on the injury & how serious it is. And PLEASE file your race report on time...you slacked off big time before. Craneium: Congrats...and a super pic to boot. Maine: Kill 'em at the Beach to Beacon...you're ready. NoNo: Good racing for you also... Did 4 miles this morning under typically humid conditions...9:38 pace...little slower than yesterday but I did manage to run 3 miles before walking a little. Still laughing about that hilarious "article" that Roch posted yesterday...although I had sort of forgotten, it is similar to a true story involving my dad in the hospital...I'll post it separately so you can just skip it if you feel like it. Good week-end, everyone... DickyG

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good luck with the race mainerunnah! Nice progress DickyG 4 Magical Healing miles with Tory in 37:14 (9:18 pace, AHR 143 incl 5 striders)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

DickyG

OK...you had to know my dad, but if you did, this true story makes all the sense in the world. Dad did everything to the max...golf, gambling (gin rummy, craps, & baccarat mainly), drinking...and (unfortunately) smoking. He loved mom, he loved my sister, and he tolerated me mainly because I sometimes won him money by being his golf partner. He got his undergrad degree AND his law degree in a total of 5 years. About 25-30 years ago, he had a blockage in his carotid artery and had to go to the hospital. While there, he learned that one of his gang...Dalton McMichaels...was also in the hospital for some tests. Anyway, the operation went fine and after some time in ICU, they moved him up to a room. As soon as he came out of it...although weak and in some pain...he started fidgeting around and bugging all the hospital staff. The next day he was a little out of it but OK. I go to the hospital the next day and his nurse comes running over to me in an absolute panic...she said "you're not gonna believe this, but your dad is missing...we can't find him anywhere and there's a wheelchair missing. Do you have any ideas?" I told her to find out what room Dalton McMichaels was in...we went to his room and just as I expected, there they were...both in wheelchairs with a tray table set in between them...they were playing gin rummy. DickyG
                  Funny story Dicky! I wonder where Ribs is right now? This morning was the Summer Sizzler 5K, race 2 of 3. Our club holds these in July and August to give the local runners something to do during the H&H when there aren't many races around to run. It's a really small get-it-over-with-quick production. The 1st one 2 weeks ago I ran rather dismally and knew I would do better today. Went out for an easy 2 mile warm up - which took about 20 seconds really - and then lined up to start. We were off at straight up 7:30 AM but there was not a cloud in the sky so this was going to be another hawt one. I went out too fast in the previous race so I settled in. Was hoping for 7:30ish or so. Glanced at the watch and it showed me running 7:45. I'd glance at it again later and it still said 7:45 pace. I didn't seem to want to go faster. Carp! Still 7:45. Come on legs and lungs! Finally the last mile lap came and I tried to pick it up and pick off runners. Other than right at the start, no one passed me the whole race. I passed probably 15 runners on the last lap. Final time 23:44 - 7:39 min/mile avg which is my 10K pace in nromal conditions. HR average 165, 173 at the end. 2nd place AG 50 to 59 and 18th overall. 7:45 7:46 7:24 and the final "sprint" A one mile cool down recovery run once I got back home. Not bad. Not good, but not bad. That's all I got right now. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

WOW...Herr Bregermeister...nice racin'...congratulations!!! I'm running with Coach this morning with the local club and I'm thinking about another long one tomorrow...
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      7.5 easy pace miles w/DW but it still felt difficult. Not much shade out there & the sun seemed usually warm today. 70F and no breeze didn't help either. Thursday my power went out when I was out running in mid morning. It was a planned outage for the neighborhood but I forgot about it. So I couldn't post my run & no time to post or run yesterday. Dicky that's amazing you old guys could beat them youngsters at softball. The last year I played 1996? we had a team average age 44 made it to the league finals against a team of mid 20's with several x-college football & baseball players, we took to game5 (last game) down 1 run & runner on 3rd & me on 2nd in the bottom of the 7th, our best hitter hit a shot that almost killed the pitcher but he knocked it down & threw him out. I was so pumped up I was going to fly home on a single. You guys are alot older than 44 so it's just amazing. Holly still getting some good workouts, way to go. Bill very nice 5k

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

12-mile workout today and starting to focus in on feeling pace even more. This is a confidence booster when it goes well, so I won’t do these every week. Iron J is away and I’ll run 20 with some of the other Js tomorrow-- a solo effort today. Twocat, the humidity has dropped a bit, but I am in a valley and the humidity can hang around even though I am further North. Anyway, 4 miles at 8:38 pace, 6 miles at 7:37 (goal was 7:38-7:40), and 2 miles easy again to cool down. The whole deal in 1:41 and change at 7:30 AM and 68F, partly sunny and not as humid. The thunderstorms are on the way though, I can see the line over Albany, NY now on the radar. I hit the pace miles pretty well. I could hear Ribs in my ear: "Lift those heels, keep form, look ahead." I had to make it to the Aldrich's mailbox in 46 minutes for the 6 mile workout portion. I got to their mailbox in 45:41 and they were just pulling out of their driveway. I am sure it looked odd to them that I did a fist pump. Weeding the garden and cleaning the bathrooms on tap next after I re-fuel. One of my cousins and her new husband are on the way for a visit---fun on tap! Glad to hear that Spareribs is singing and hanging in there. Thank you Saint for reporting and I hope you are getting rest when you can. Funny story DickyG! Nice workout Holly---I am still worrying about you though.....do be careful. Whenever an injury starts to fade is the time when I'll often push too hard thinking I am all better. Good racing Bill! Nice last mile---that's what it's about. Wie immer, CNYrunner/Karin
                          Hope to hear some news about SR later. 6 miles with some fartlek work. Quads and calfs hurting a little. temp and humidity high.
                          Mariposai

I wonder how the tender Ribs did last night. Coach approved 10 miles under smoky ski. Time to make breakfast for the gang here, homemade Belgium waffles, homemade strawberry syrup and fruit salad is on the menu. Then I am planning to make a few batches of apricot preserves. I just love the bounty of fruits in the summer time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

8 miles easy @ 9 minute pace 1:12:00 total Go get em Mainrunnah! What a all star group to race with. Nice race Bill ! All you can do is all you can do. Be happy with whatever you do. It still beats doing nothing. Smile {{{{{ribs}}}}} these are the tough days it gets better real soon. Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

10 grinding miles. The Crim 10-miler is 3 weeks away. I'm going to really be slogging slowly in that one......