Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 6.19.18 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks everyone. Tet, you're amazing. And Steve is right.

Just 2.2 walking miles this morning in 73° humid temps.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

5 miles.

Humidity slowed me down; flies kept me going. The balance of nature, I suppose.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay but, after taking almost an early-morning hour for yesterday’s recap of all the Father’s Day running, I vowed that would be the end of that, . . . until leslie pointed out I missed her Sunday XT in the yard so here goes a final attempt of my version of perfection for Monday’s runs, .  . . I hope.

. . . Hall of Fame.
        Stumpy77 - 1 measly LA mile in LA in afterglow of DD’s wedding.
        KSA - 1.2 miles on lingering butt/leg not getting better unless imbibing.
        Henry - 2.5 miles with a, huh?, cold? Huh? three days from the summer solstice?
        Dave59 - 4.01 miles before afternoon heat advisory.
        Paul - good 9.3 mile run thru the ‘hoods
        wildchild - 32 miles (Sunday nunc pro tunc)

. . . XT
        Leslie - rubber arms from mowing lawn, cutting back blackberries, etc.
        . . . (6/17 - nunc pro tunc)
        Leslie - 45 min of nervous core/ST focusing on the hammies.  
        tomwhite - 60M/-min with 6 lb wgts on hills
        Mariposai - 11 biking miles making Carmen happy I’m sure.
        tetsujin - first spinning class in a couple of months
        Hall of Shame -
        C-R:   calf shutdown shuts down running but not interfering with upcoming biz trip, . . .  yet.
        Steve dances with frogs.

Gratuitious Commentary

Dave - how many strides/steps in 0.01 miles. Congrats on 401 of 'em
        Stumpy - are you sticking around LA to chaperone their honeymoon?
        Paul - do you get a chance to see who’s watering and/or mowing their lawns, paintin’ the trim, etc. around the neighborhoods?  
        Tom - you go up hills with six pounder ankle weights?
        . . . Just don’t wear ‘em in the pool. Smile
        KSA - to run or not to run: be decisive! . . . . like your DD.
        . . ps - have you ever tried imbibing more when running

. . pps - what’s tendinopathy?
        wildchild - if you ever get thinkin’ again how dumb running is (which I totally cannot image you thinking in the first place) and how stupid you are for signing up for 32 mile races (and 100 when you do which you will), just think how dumb you’d think it was if you were running on pavement for 26.2 or more miles as 100,000's do every year all over the country with out knowing anything about the joys of trail running.  So sad.
        Mariposai - Thanks posie, me too. Hey, maybe signing up

for a race will work to make it go away again
        In the meantime, be patient, yes, be very patient.
        Kind of felt obligated to do something yesterday so, now that the morning spinnings are on summer break, tried the after-work one that turned out to have lots of interesting handlebar push-ups, twistings, rollings, etc.  No wonder I love fitness centers so much.  LA fitness requires wearing shoes so, though I'm a barefoot biker too, I did, . . . and ended up with soles of feet burning so hot at the end I had to ask about all the other half dozen spinners' feet too.  Turns out you're supposed to wear socks too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

tet- you are THE MAN!  Nice job.    Tendinopathy is pain in the butt (or upper leg).  Basically an inflammation of the tendon that connects the knee to the hip- up high.  Very common in runners and sitting hurts it more (especially slumping).

2.6 slow miles- butt did pretty good.  Will try to stand a lot today and keep it good.  New shoes-  Topo Magnifly 2.  Like them.  They are wide toe box like Altra but better made and more cushioning.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

Tettastic job of the summaries.

7 cold wet miles this morning. 73F and sprinkles.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

pfriese

Tet, thanks for the rundown of yesterday's goings ons.

Paul - good 9.3 mile run thru the ‘hoods

Paul - do you get a chance to see who’s watering and/or mowing their lawns, paintin’ the trim, etc. around the neighborhoods?  

Same 9.3 mile run for me this morning. Yup, on my morning runs through the neighborhoods I do get a feel for the routines of each area. The first neighborhood I run through is new & has several houses under construction. The morning work crews always give a shout as I go by. They've gotten used to the Santa Claus runner & I think look for me every morning. The next area I run through is the town's largest park. It has a nice walking trail around its perimeter and it has it's regular walkers, dog walkers, & runners; not to mention ducks & geese. If I'm doing a longer run, I move on into more established neighborhoods where I can jog thru automated sprinkler systems. I'm sure they were put in just to cool me down on summer morning runs. A loop through another park by the fire station & then on back home.

Paul

...for The Record.....

(do we have a record??

is it

The BeeGees??)

I have 2 lb hand weights

and only 1 lb trailboots

back to my 3lb trailboots when I get home

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning good people. One more thanks to Jay for providing such great recaps all these many months. And thank you Tet for stepping up and taking over the job - for as long as you'll have it!

It sounds like the heat and humidity that was here all last week has moved on to you folks on the East Coast. Hope it's just a brief couple of days. Hang in there. Now it's been raining every day since last weekend. The upper peninsula of Michigan and northern Wisconsin had major flooding - roads washed out. What a mess!

Too many people on the DL here lately, me included. I've had a couple of steroid injections in my lower back and bursa, with not much relief. I was so desperate I even went to a natural health store and purchased some hemp salve to rub on sore spots that someone said worked for them. Nope. Back to the doctor this morning to follow up and see if he has any more suggestions/solutions, or it's time to just drive over to the glue factory   I've been going to the Y every other day and using the elliptical and free weights, then walking 5 or 6 miles the opposite day. Like Leslie, sitting for even a short period is brutal. But things could be so much worse, and I'm trying to keep this in perspective.

Just saw a huge spider crawl up the wall behind my computer. Better get him before he gets me! Have a great day everyone - run a couple for me.

TammyinGP

And Steve is right.

I bet he hears that All.The.Time! 

Tammy

..........90's, no wind

.........60-min HH 6lbs

.............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

JLynne - My sports chiro has also turned me on to cupping (get your minds outta the gutter!).  There's a lot of information out there about it, but this is a good web site.  He doesn't leave the cup in one place; rather, he applies a gel or massage oil to the area and moves the cup back and forth.  It's sort of like a massage from the inside out in that it separates the various layers to promote better blood flow and circulation.  I bought a set of silicone cups and am using them on my bursa, sciatic, and hammies.  It should only be done 2-3 times a week.  The irritation increases for a few hours after, but with each cupping I got a little more relief.  The first round of nerve pain was so bad, it took 4-5 cupping procedures before I got solid results.  My plan at this point is to cup those areas every 3 days, and then I start PT on the 27th, so we'll see what happens.

The day started with a bang and hasn't let up.  Shout out to y'all, but I gotta go.  Hugs ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Nice tet.

No running today but 30 min of core and yoga. Calf still tight.

Some of our minds never left the gutter.

Speaking of which Off to Vegas for tomorrow’s meetings.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, I agree that running on pavement is waaay stupider than running on trails!  But ultra runners are not totally sane, just sayin' ....

Paul, nice of you to take us on a virtual tour of your neighborhoods!  No one around here ever has sprinklers out, so I can't run through them.

My legs feel a lot better, but I still can't walk down stairs totally normally, so I went for a walk with DH and might try an easy run tomorrow.  I also did a yoga workout, kind of stiffly, but I think it helped.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

An additional 5K this evening with Opie. He's in town for his daughter's wedding this Friday. So, we met up for an evening run on the 5K course at Earlywine Park.

Obligatory selfie:

Paul

Mta: wildchild, I don't think my neighborhood run even with sprinklers compares to your neighborhood run.

stopping by to say "hi" and view Tet's summary work.

Still gimping around a bit, but I was kept from running more by my projects. I'll get in a few miles tomorrow.

Bye

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying