Masters Running

What do you think about during your LR? (Read 350 times)

My daughter is planning on running her first marathon...NYC 2008... The plan is for me to run it with her......she has been slow getting prepared and I have been trying to get her moving..... When we ran our first 5K together this last Thanksgiving she was wearing her IPOD....I quickly informed her that there will be NO IPOD while we run NYC together... Here is her latest concern....(I guess she though that I was recommending her not to ever wear an IPOD...which is not the case). "But, what I am really worried about is my mental state. What is my brain going to do for 26.2 miles. I have been running without an ipod and it is torture. What do you do? Make up stories, focus on breathing, watch the scenery??? Please, because I tried to do 4.5 without music and almost lost my mind." Here was my response: "Running with music is great.......in fact I have a link that provides free music designed for running...to help with pace... But....there is a time and place for everything.....don't miss out on the opportunity to connect with your surroundings..... I concentrate on form, breathing, stride (180 steps per minute)...but after a while this will become more natural...... The rest of the time....I might think about absolutely nothing..or everything....who knows you might solve all the worlds problems..or just your own... Sometimes you practice the race in your head...imagine running smooth, effortless and running through the wall as if it never existed..... Think about arriving early in the morning a couple of hours before the gun goes off watching all the people with nervous energy all with one goal to make it all the way to Central Park pain free imagine everyone united at that one moment in time everyone there has prepared for months and months and their time has come.....when nothing else is more important see the pre race ceremonies envision all the people lining the streets they saw the leaders go by....but they are still there...to see you ...for one fleeting moment in that one moment in time you become part of something bigger than life..... Practice the race everyday.....that is a lot to think about....." What do you think about?
      What I think about during my long runs: my friends I'm talking to (usually) and always, always that cup of coffee (iced during summer; hot in the winter) and pastry I will have as soon as I finish. What I think about during my marathons: each mile. Just getting through each mile. I don't have any grandiose thoughts, I don't contemplate life, I don't really even enjoy the scenery. I focus on the mile. My mind is pretty blank beyond that. I'm getting better about focusing on my body/relaxation and form, positive thinking, but those are still works in progress. And, oh, also that cup of coffee as soon as I finish .... Smile)
        In that my long run hovers around 5 miles these days, I don't have a whole lot to add. But after reading YOUR inspirational words, Tim, you can bet I'll be thinking about your beautiful thoughts on nearly all of my runs for quite some time. Wow, what poetry! Brought tears to my eyes, truly. I'm gonna need even more tissues than last year as I read all of the Boston Boomer race reports. Thanks for the inspiration. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

#artbydmcbride

Whether the towel around the surfer's hips is going to come loose and fall before I'm finished running by him. Big grin

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love being outdoors, so I focus on the scenery. There's lots of it in Maine! Since I'm mathematically inclined, I'm also continually figuring out how far along in the run I am, percentage-wise. Keeps my mind occupied. I visualize my run as a hill, with the halfway point being at the crest. I've tried running with music, but I prefer the quiet. That may be because I have three kids, two of them teenaged boys! The noise level in my house can be pretty high.
              I run with an MP3 player while training and have never even considered doing so during a race -- that goes double for a marathon! During a marathon if you cannot talk you cannot finish. So talk! I try to find somebody running around my pace and strike up a conversation. I have found out the life stories of tons of people this way. If they pull ahead or fall behind find another victim runner willing to talk with you. Before you know it 20 miles will be over and done with and it will be time to start the race! There is no need to be shy. What can happen? You try talking to some dud and you move on. Easy enough to do considering you are, er, moving! Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

I think about everything, but then again I think about nothing!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

practice song lyrics in my head when trying to learn new songs think about ways to promote and work my sideline business work on issues from my day job Shocked what was that!!?? Shocked Oh, just a squirrel running through the leaves. Roll eyes what I'm gonna eat when I get done. how many more miles I've gone how many I've got left remember to be in the moment and not think about how many I've got left. see the beauty Shocked what was that!!?? Shocked Oh, just a squirrel running through the leaves. Roll eyes smile be thankful. does thankful have one or two ls? Where's Dan when you need him? I want to feel good let's see, the last 3 miles were 35 minutes that works out to be...3 goes into....carry the 2....oh look a bird.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

#artbydmcbride

Big grin Actually that does seem a lot like inside my head, evryday.

Runners run

evryday I think about what my 6th grade teacher drilled into my head...the only word that ends in full is full Tongue
                        Ok, I'm all about this one, as you all somewhat humiliated, er pursuaded me into NOT wearing my beloved ipod in my 1/2 last weekend. Here's what I thought about: Miles 1-3 - This isn't so bad. It's pouring and my ipod might have got ruined had I worn it. Undecided Miles 4-6 - People are really nice! Everyone seems to want to talk. Smile Miles 7-9 - How come I'm meeting all these people and then they seem to disappear far, far ahead.... Confused Miles 10-12 - Is there anyone behind me? Cry Mile 13 - "Feeling strong now, gonna fly now!" I DID IT AND WITHOUT MY IPOD!! WOOHOO! I completely understand your daughter's concerns but it can be done. And making up names for all the over achievers who pass you is amusing.
                        Cashmason

Talk to whoever is running my pace near me. Look for the mind I lost without music Tongue Can I pass that person ahead of me, without blowing up my energy for the rest of the race. Hey this neighborhood looks pretty neat/ or otherwise. Listen to bands on the course. I have a whole freaking play list inside my head, and I listen to that if there is nothing else to do.
                            in that one moment in time you become part of something bigger than life.....
                            there's the beauty.... right there Tim.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

All of the above....& none of it! Wink.....
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Renee the dog

In a race, mostly what passes through my mind is: breathe, slow down, form, ohhh, look at that! I don't think a whole lot of full thoughts during a race. In a long run, some things that have pondered during the last few LRs: I wonder how far I could run until I fall over. I wonder if I kept running, could I really run away? Big grin I really hope the coffee is being brewed at home. And why is that so important to me right now? If heaven is where everyone is perfected, does everyone run there? In my regular everyday runs, I use the time to plan my days and the conversations I need to have with the important folks in my life: my husband, my builder, my kids...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!